“Will come again.”

Quality Hotel Gateway
Ranked #1 of 5 Hotels in Devonport
Reviewed December 17, 2011

It is a nice little hotel, I stayed in the Deluxe Spa room facing what I think is the harbour, not the prettiest of views, but certainly industrial. But don't let that spoil your stay! The room itself is moderately sized and has a comfortable king size bed, and a spa bath as the room title says, and the jets aren't that powerful but it is still very relaxing!

I actually asked for their best room, which isn't this one, and I can only assume the hostess thought this is all I could afford, because as I look at wotif, ALL of the room types are available, and I would have preferred the upgrade...

The room fit-out is modern and clean, well spaced, I can't really say anything bad about the stay apart from there was no sugar for my coffee, and only water in the bar fridge. Also, walking down the street on a saturday night I had a bottle thrown *near* me from some drunk idiots across the road.. but that's any city on a Saturday night with drunk people I guess.

All said, it was a comfortable stay for $177 for the night, however I haven't checked out yet, so hopefully this review stands well and I don't have to write a conflicting review :)

Room Tip: I chose the Spa room, facing harbour, $177 night, can't go wrong!
  • Stayed: December 2011, traveled solo
1  Thank Traveller9372

Reviewed December 15, 2011

Let's remember - we aren't paying huge money to stay here. The rooms are clean and comfortable , thankfully renovated and the bathroom is fairly modern

Air conditioning would be nice and I wouldn't stay here if it was a hot day

My room service was ok, steak was overcooked and having a drink with my meal comprised of visiting the bottleshop next door ... Lack of car parking was also a worry

But - again, not too expensive

• Stayed: December 2011
Reviewed December 9, 2011

My Wife & I were quite impressed with this little gem. The renovated rooms are amazing, great facilities and an sensational night’s sleep. Hotel staff are very warm and friendly and the quality of the food and service in the restaurant was great. Also fantastic views of the harbour. I would recommend this to anyone wanting to visit Devonport.

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 7, 2011

We had been recommended this place by the Visitor Centre in Devonport, and were happy to accept their recommendation. The room was clean, big enough and well laid out, and the staff were friendly. The only niggle was the smell of paint from the ongoing refurbishment.

The trouble didn't begin until we were tucked up asleep at about 11pm that night. This was when the first guests leaving a party or bar downstairs congregated at the exit and talked very loudly amongst themselves. We were on the second floor but the noise was very clear. Our friends, who were staying in a room facing the other way, Fenton Street, had the same issue. When the party started again at midnight, we called reception and asked them to move the crowd on, and tried to get back to sleep (although the party people were obviously reluctant to move on).

At 2am the party started AGAIN! Our call to reception was a little less pleasant than before, but again action was slow in coming. In fact, we then had staff emptying bins full of bottles and cans outside our window.

All in all a shocking night's sleep for us and our friends, and little or no help from management on the noise issue.

Room Tip: Get as high up as possible, it may help!
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 9, 2011

Stayed 1 night and was very surprised how clean, new and modern it was. Had Dinner in Restaurant which was very nice and a good breakfast. Would stay again. Room was very nice, Staff great, had a problem with the noise in room and they changed it on the spot whitout any hassle.

Room Tip: We had first a room to front but the noise when cars left carpark was a bit to much, so we changed...
  • Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 6, 2011

From the outside it looked like an older hotel but we were very pleased upon arrival to find that refurbishments were taking place inside.

Check-in was very smooth and the woman at the front desk was incredibly helpful with information about room service, restaurant and breakfast times and even recommended what to try from the room service menu. There was ample (free) parking and an easily accessable lift.

Our room was on the 3rd floor and looked brand new. It was spacious with a king size bed, large desk area and a large modern bathroom complete with sensor lights. My only concern here was that the door was frosted glass and had I not been staying with my partner it could have been a bit awkward as although you werent totally visible through the glass you could still be seen in shadow form. The bed and pillows were comfortable and the view was nice.

Room service was quick - 20 minutes for a full 2 course meal which was fantastic. The steak & french chicken were both cooked to perfection and VERY reasonably priced. We were able to purchase a bottle of wine from the bar downstairs and avoided paying mini-bar price which was great.

A full buffet breakfast was included in the price and it was fantastic. There was a lot to choose from and it was all top quality and perfectly cooked. The staff were very friendly and the restaurant clean & modern.

All in all we were very impressed and if we have to opportunity to head back to Tasmania we'd definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled on business
Reviewed September 4, 2011

After arriving on the ferry it was a short journey to our hotel. Good disabled room on the ground floor however large hill from rear car park. Small pub attached which is pleasent for a drink but found trying to get a meal after hotel hours in devonprt slightly difficult. Stayed two nights one on start of trip and one at end and found staff friendly and helpful. Breakfast is available and looked quite good but as we were leaving early did not partake

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled with friends
Also consider these accommodations in or near Devonport
Sunrise Devonport
Beachway
Beachway
#1 of 3 in Ulverstone
Argosy Motor Inn Devonport

Been to Quality Hotel Gateway? Share your experiences!