“Good room, horrible food.”

Quality Hotel Gateway
Ranked #1 of 5 Hotels in Devonport
Reviewed August 17, 2011

This time was the second time I've stayed at the Gateway Inn, I have to say I wasn't impressed with it this time and dont think I'll be going back. The rooms are lovely (But you would expect them to be when your paying $150+ for just the room!) I have to say the spa bath and size of the rooms are excellent, but I wasn't happy with service or food, decided to go with my partner to their overpriced restaurant down near the lobby and was horrified when the food came out, I ordered chicken, husband had steak, simple enough yes? when your paying more then $30 a plate you would expect decent food, my chicken was dry on the outside and raw on the inside and reeked of onions. but with no onions in site? the veggies served with my meal had been warmed up but not cooked. I dont mind raw carrots...but I'm not paying good money to have raw carrots, husband ate steak didnt complain but did say he wouldnt be going back their in the future. we decided to give it a second chance and order dessert from the room service menu in hopes that it would be better then our meal downstairs. We both got stickydate pudding. by the time it got to our room the ice cream was completely melted and my husband found a long black hair in his pudding. Needless to say we wont be going back. Room might be nice but I didnt spend over $280 in total for dinner and a room to leave irritated.

Room Tip: stay in the room but eat at mollys down the road! way better food at a fraction of the price!
  • Stayed: August 2011, traveled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Quality Hotel Gateway

Reviewed August 11, 2011

We arrived in the morning,hoping we could check in early.
The hotel was being rewired so we were asked to come back after 3pm.
The staff were great.they came out and took our luggage to store until we came back later.
The room to me seemed to be newly renovated.
The beds were very small(we had asked for twins),but I thought they would have been king singles.
I didn't particularly like the glass bathroom doors,as the person I was travelling with wasn't my partner,and the bathroom door opened into the room.
Another note to make was there were no on/off switches for the bathroom,so they were sensor lights.
I did think it odd that the lights switched off halfway through my shower,and then switched back on when I came out ...maybe I was taking too long a shower?
All in all I would return.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed August 3, 2011

This is the third time we have stayed at gateway. The renovation of the lobby and restuarant are great. We always book a room on the fourth floor with harbour view, try booking through their website you may be able to take advantage of the super bedsaver rate. Gateway is the only place we will stay when visiting Devonport.

• Stayed: July 2011
Reviewed July 29, 2011

We had a suite on the top level of this hotel.We have been here a few years ago and it was looking tired and rundown however the hotel has been completely renovated and the entry ,reception and dinning room are now first class. Staff very friendly and eager to please. Our suite on the fourth floor offers wonderful views of the town and surrounding vista worth spending time just to look at the scenery. The suite is well presented and clean complete with spa. It is certainly very much improved from last visit. I noted that a past comment was the smell of smoke- the hotel now have a strict no smoking in suites and will go to the extent of charging a hefty 'cleaning fee' for those who try to 'break the rules'. Well done Management. I wish you well with the refurbishing particularly in a town with a limited number of presentable hotels and motels.

Room Tip: Request suite on fourth level overlooking harbour
  • Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 28, 2011

"Casino & Brasserie" what a joke !! just a load of fruit machines & "food" that was a disgrace , cardboard for garlic bread, & chips from the freezer, water dripping from the overhead aircon unit onto the cake counter !! room ok but bathroom in desperate need of modernisation , staff couldn't care less !!

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 19, 2011

I am currently staying at this property, in its harbour view junior suite. The room is amazing: on the top floor, at the corner, with views of the town and the harbour below. It has full electronic control over its curtains, blinds, and even its windows. The room is very large (probably the size of two standard rooms), with a large modern bathroom with spa. The room appears to have been recently refurbished, and is finished nicely in good taste, with ample sitting area.

So, with so much potential, it is disaapointing that the check-in process is so inconsistent with where this hotel is trying to be. A frumpy lady at the desk, pre-occupied with adding some numbers up on a calculator, barely greeted me as I checked in. No welcome, no grace, no friendliness, that you would expect anywhere, but particularly in this friendly island. This is a huge disappointment.

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled solo
Reviewed January 18, 2011

Stayed in a Spa Room on the top floor overlooking the city for 4 nights, and again on our return to Devonport for another 2 nights this time overlooking the harbour and could see the "The Spirit of Tasmania" from our room. The rooms are lovely and spacious and very clean. The Gateway is in an excellent location. We were disappointed that the rates paid for the top floor didn't include a continental breakfast when booking over the phone, only if you book over the internet.

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled as a couple