“Best in Devonport”

Cuisines: Australian
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed February 26, 2013

Had the pleasure of being invited to this restaurant yesterday evening for my Birthday. Although I have lived in Devonport for some years it was my first visit and I can only say I've been missing out. It is by far the best restaurant in this town I have been to. The staff were really friendly and attentive without being intrusive and were only too happy to take a couple of photos for us to mark the occaision. Food is well cooked and the portions large. If you can find room for it try the herb damper. Hot and tasty! All in all a good experience and I shall certainly be back!

Reviewed February 23, 2013

This is my second review of Dannebrog, and as much as I tried to avoid it as I had a poor experience last time, we ended up here last night as most other places were booked out, and by 8pm we were getting a bit hungry, and I refused to go to KFC or Maccas!

We had to wait for a table to be cleared to be seated, but that wasn't a problem, so decided to order a drink while we were waiting. We went up to the bar, but the Manager thought it was more important to continue to clean glasses than serve us - and he knew we were there. I don't care how busy the restaurant is, and from what I could see there were plenty of clean glasses, serving your customers should be a priority. We did eventually get served, and went and sat and waited. After not too long we were shown to our table, which was quite sticky. I then remembered that this was the case when I was last here. I think the tables need a really good clean in hot soapy water.

Our orders were taken, by a frendly young lady. I can't fault the service here - she was helpful and attentive - unlike her boss. I ended up having the Chicken Riviera which was actually not too bad. The chicken was nicely cooked, and the salad quite nice and fresh, but the chips were only average. My partner had an eye steak with the surf and turf sauce. The steak was only average, and the plate came with hardly any vegetables. A bit embarrasing when my meal was significantly larger than his.

I really think this restaurant could be so much better with an improvement in relation to consistency of food and service. I think it says a lot when the manager clearly sees his customers as an inconvenience, and doesn't show very good leadership in relation to his staff when he treats them with such contempt. Prior to writing this review, I had a look at some of the recent reviews, and it really concerns me that he doesn't even take some of the previous comments on board but is quite rude to reviewers/customers. IMHO, I think he should have a good hard look at himself and see if he should really be in the service industry, and remember that without customers, he has no business.

1  Thank fairywings2507
Reviewed January 23, 2013

wrong meal delived to table staff changed the food from plate to plate at the tablenot higenic and not appropriate, service was ordinary and food was below par

2  Thank 2012Deb
Reviewed January 15, 2013

The chips tasted like it was fried in stale oil and the sauce tasted like it was made from powder from an instant sauce packet and that ruined the steak. The manager/owner was not friendly at all and very pushy to take our order. I will definately not go there again.

4  Thank OomChris
Reviewed January 14, 2013

We had just arrived from the Spirit of Tasmania and wandered into this restaurant, with a few mixed feelings as it is a large restaurant and we were doubtful about the food quality. However, my husband had a really delicious steak and I had a pasta dish which was very tasty. There was a young boy serving us as well as a young girl and they were both attentive and friendly.