“disappointing caravan park, beautiful devonport bluff”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Devonport
Mersey Bluff Caravan Park
Devonport, Australia
“disappointing caravan park, beautiful devonport bluff”
Reviewed May 17, 2013

Our caravan on entry was very smelly and the pillows on the couch where dirty and stained,very over priced for what you get,, I was told on booking that it was a pet friendly park, but on paying was then told that my small pet would have to stay in car.. I was hassled late at night , from then on by the owner and his daughter to make sure that my house pet was kept in the car./ I was made to feel very uneasy and my privacy was taken away.. the devonport bluff is a beautiful place but is degraded by this caravan park and its owner,s. there is so much that could be done to make this park much more welcoming,... I would not advise anyone to stay here if wanted peace and quiet from the owners,.. what a shame to spoils such a lovey place

Room Tip: all rooms are dirty and smelly and very old.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
7 Thank TaniaJ60

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
Reviewed March 5, 2013

This park could be so good given it's fantastic location but the management are rather surly and the rates are ridiculously over priced given the standard of the facilites (when compared to other parks across the state), which are very dated (1970's). It's also a fairly noisy location with ships blasting their horns in the wee hours as they navigate the channel. I'm also not a fan of caravan parks that allow pets, but don't make residents clean up after their pets....dodging dog poo in the middle of the night is no fun :( suggest you keep driving to Deloraine or Launceston!

8 Thank FNeilson

Travelers are raving about these Devonport hotels

Reviewed February 24, 2013

Attending a triathlon event with friends in Devonport, we chose Mersey Bluff for the ideal location it offered with reference to the event. We were greeted by a friendly and helpful man on arrival. Accommodation was not quite as described but that wasn't a huge deal to us - we just dealt with it.
The caravan/cabin was decked out in 70's style, but was generally clean, if a little pokey. Amenities were also very tired but reasonably clean. I'd recommend wearing flip-flops.
The experience was marred by an extremely rude lady we encountered upon checking out. I would definitely not recommend staying here. I won't be, nor will any of my triathlon friends when we return to compete next year. I'd rather ride my bike up Nixon St 100 times than return here.

13 Thank ShezBr
Reviewed February 24, 2013

We stayed here for the Devonport Triathlon and vowed never to return. The cabin we booked came with no shower (despite a specific request and assurance of one). The Cabin(actually a caravan with small add-on) was drafty, cramped, dirty, uncomfortable and poorly maintained. It would have been impossible to sleep the advertised 6 people in there. The shared shower/toilet block was run down and generally filthy. I would also advise to get any agreements regarding cost/check out times in writing as on checkout were verbally assaulted/bullied (my two companions were in tears) into the paying of an additional nights fee(despite having a verbal agreement the day prior). Suffice to say the staff were rude, aggressive and generally hostile. We will never return; I advise you to avoid and to stay anywhere else.

10 Thank Cmdr_Timo
Reviewed February 23, 2013

I was not going to write a review after my poor experience at Mersey Bluff Caravan Park over the weekend as I don't think that negativity is productive, and I was willing to forgive several flaws in the park until a most unpleasant encounter with one of the staff on checkout.

We stayed in an onsite van which firstly had no ensuite as described, had stained carpet and a strong musty odour. As I said before, we were willing to forgive these things as the location suited us.

The manager we had dealt with for our 2 night stay was friendly and helpful, and I hope he does not become upset by my comments, however the customer service and communication skills of the other staff member were so non existent that I feel others deserve to know.
On checkout, our group had overstayed the pre arranged checkout time by approximately 2 hours as the event we were in Devonport for ran overtime.

I understand that this caused inconvenience to the park management, and I have apologised for this. The person in the office demanded a full night's accommodation payment for the late checkout, and when we obligingly returned with the money (we acknowledge that we did not vacate at the time we said we would) and asked for the key to the room back- as we had now paid for it, it was rudely refused.

I will not return to Mersey Bluff Caravan Park, and will be telling others of this experience. It's not that we were asked to pay- the demeanour of the person in reception was absolutely foul.

I see others have had the same problem, and the staff member needs to realise that she is in hospitality, and customer service counts...

Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
15 Thank LisaJustin
Reviewed February 3, 2013 via mobile

We stayed one night before leaving on the ferry back to Melbourne. It felt overpriced at $12 per person - we had been paying $10 each or $25 per couple and $5 per extra person in other places in Tasmania. All caravan park/campgrounds seem to be a bit weird but the environment was so lovely and the swimming was great. The toilets were clean enough but as often is the case the facilities were pretty tired. An awful lot of bossy signage in the toilets and kitchen about not charging mobile phones, threatening to confiscate them. The camp kitchen was open to the weather and rather invited its backpacker feel. We did witness a quite unpleasant altercation between the owner and some campers late at night, where obviously there had been some previous problems but to suddenly be aware of shouting and to see the owner pushing a young man was quite unpleasant. I would stay here again because of the view but I didn't find it at all pleasant or particularly safe.

• Stayed February 2013
7 Thank Kowhai22
Launceston, Australia
Reviewed January 26, 2013

We have stayed at Mersey Bluff on 2 occasions now and will be shortly going back for our third stay. We have 2 young children and it is a great place for them. The playground is fantastic, beach is beautiful and is manned by lifeguards, there is also a beach behind the park for dogs. Ammenties are great, kept clean and showers are free. We have not had any problems what so ever with our trips there, we take our own van and stay on a powered site. Owners are lovely and always smiling and chatting. We most definately will continue to visit.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank Kristy S
Also consider these accommodations in or near Devonport
Quality Hotel Gateway
Beachway
Beachway
#1 of 3 in Ulverstone
No photo provided

Been to Mersey Bluff Caravan Park? Share your experiences!