Open today: 8:00 AM - 8:30 PM
Review Highlights
A right of passage

I came to Tasmania with my car and some belongings on board what we in Tassie affectionately call... read more

Reviewed 1 week ago
Debbydoodardar
Penguin, Australia
via mobile
Holiday

This was the beginning of a planned holiday in the island state. The trip surprised us as the last... read more

Reviewed 6 days ago
Juliemta18
Melbourne, Australia

1,834 results
All reviews return trip deluxe cabin both ways sea sickness bass strait hiring a car overnight trip night crossing day sail berth cabin port melbourne pleasant trip rough seas recliner seats inside cabin port hole market kitchen
Reviewed April 26, 2014

If you really need to take your car to Tasmania then obviously you have to take the ferry. Otherwise flying is so much cheaper. The cost of the rooms is very high and you only get a bed and en suite. There are no tea or coffee making facilities or TVs or anything. I am sure that they do their best with the boarding and disembarking but it is a slow process and there is a lot of waiting in your car. At least at the airport you can keep walking around while you wait!

2  Thank Kaz41
Reviewed April 25, 2014

My husband and I took the overnight cruise from Davenport to Melbourne, and paid the extra for twin cabin. The room was small, but that was expected. It only provides two narrow single beds with a simple blanket. But, the bed was comfortable. The room was quiet for the entire night which was also a pleasant surprise. The bathroom had a toilet, basin and shower. The shower was fantastic, as we arrived after hiking at Cradle Mountain. I Would get a cabin again if I took the boat across. There is also an option of taking your car across, but we didn't do this.
My only other suggestion is to either eat before you come aboard, or bring dinner. The on board options include either a one plate buffet of mostly fried food or a sit down expensive dinner.

2  Thank LaraBest56
Reviewed April 24, 2014

While it is a great to take your own vehicle on a fabulous road trip to Tassie we were disappointed with our trip on the Spirit of Tasmania. Food on board is very ordinary in the buffet, service finished too early and was expensive. I would definitely recommend taking something with you. As to our cabins - On our trip to Tasmania all was fine, we travelled on the Spirit 2; our trip home on the Spirit 1 . The smell in our cabins was appalling and got worse, water could be heard sloshing up & down and over flowing into the shower base. At midnight I couldn't stand it any longer and got up to complain. I was informed by staff that this is a common occurrence, especially if the flushing of the Sewage system is incomplete. He suggested that it could be helped by flushing water down the drains in the bathroom and covering the drainage outlets with a wet towels.
If this is a regular occurrence , that can be easily remedied by correct flushing of the sewage system on board, then I would hope some one addresses this quickly.

4  Thank Chrissie144
Reviewed April 24, 2014

When you get to port Melbourne your whole entire car is checked. Top to bottom. You can't bring any fruit, vegetables, seafood or meat to tassie. You ether throw it out before the trip. You eat it on the boat. One of the worst things about it Is that it is an eight hour trip. But you can't Change it. The restaurant at the captains table is . So I recommend bring your own snacks or bring 2 minute noodles. The game arcade is tiny. 6 car racing game machines. One pinball. Two crane games where you pick up those toys. Two machines that I don't know what the names of them are. Two gun games. One of those soccer things where you turn around the sticks. Cabins are tiny. Beds really comfortable. Really comfortable. If you go on the morning trip the sea is calm until about 12pm. Then up to 3.30pm it's calm. Kids get a little activity bag which can come in handy.

5  Thank Vinh H
Reviewed April 23, 2014

Last day sailing for summer / autumn 2014 21 April Melbourne to Davenport,. It was a breeze to check in and dive on, staff were excellent and very professional in getting us boarded and into our cabin. Highly recommend booking a cabin for day sailing especially if you or any travel companion are prone to sea sickness as the cabins allow you the privacy to rest and sleep on a bed as opposed to having to stay seated in the general public areas of the ship. We found all the crew and staff extremely friendly and professional, unloading at Davenport was as fast and organised, straight through quarantine and on the road in less than 30 minutes from being paged to the car deck from our cabin. The only way to travel if you are holidaying to tasmania and will be driving for more than 3 - 4 days as overall the cost will be cheaper than flying and hiring a car plus you are not restricted to luggage restrictions by the airlines. PS take a cool bag of sandwiches, drinks and snacks if you want to avoid the extra expense of purchasing food from the on board eateries.

2  Thank Kevin C