Open today: 8:00 AM - 8:30 PM
Review Highlights
Cheap Option

The ferry was a great option to get over to Tassie!! We just had s recliner chair which was... read more

Reviewed 1 week ago
cmzajicek88
Melbourne, Australia
via mobile
Great way to take your car to Tassie!

We decided to take our own car to Tasmania for our holiday - so convenient! We took an overnight... read more

Reviewed 1 week ago
jenniferlM4478IP
Sydney, Australia

1,854 results
All reviews return trip deluxe cabin both ways sea sickness bass strait night crossing overnight trip hiring a car berth cabin day sail port melbourne pleasant trip rough seas inside cabin port hole market kitchen station pier
Reviewed October 20, 2013

took the journey to visit my parents.....the cabin i booked was clean but the bathroom stank through the drainage, actually made me gag. I approached the staff and they told me that it was "normal". The boat itself was more than a little shabby, now i know why the TV adds are quick snapshots. Seats were torn and very worn in the general areas. I have traveled on ferries around the world and this is poor. As i have no choice if i wish to take my car i shall have to travel with them again and personally cannot wait for some competition to the shabby experience i had. I hear that someone is currently setting up a rival, I shall support them and hope they offer a better experience. Shame there is currently no alternative is all i can say.

Date of experience: February 2013
1  Thank Mark L
Spirit-Of-Tassie, Manager - Customer Relations at Spirit of Tasmania, responded to this reviewResponded November 13, 2013

Hi Mark,

Thank you for your feedback. We were sorry to read your comments regarding the smell coming from the drain in the ensuite of the cabin you occupied. On occasions, and due to the motion of the ship/accompanying weather conditions, the ensuite drain can sometimes experience a blockage. Spirit of Tasmania endeavours as far as possible to prevent such instances and although issues of this nature are outside of our control, they are easily rectified when identified. It is definitely not normal and I am very disappointed to read of the response you received. The Spirit of Tasmania vessels are dry docked bi-annually where major repairs and maintenance are undertaken, general maintenance such as replacing worn chairs/carpet/curtains etc, are undertaken on an as needs basis. Spirit of Tasmania regularly engages with our passengers by way of surveys which ask questions about how they feel we are performing. Our passengers are extremely important to us, surveys along with feedback provides us with information which assists us with future innovation and change in specific areas of operation and allows us take into consideration the thoughts and expectations of our passengers. Whilst it was disappointing to read your comments we appreciate you taking the time to provide your thoughts regarding your experience.

Reviewed October 18, 2013

We first traveled from Melbourne on what was apparently some of the worst weather they'd ever seen. They couldn't even dock for hours which meant that we were on the boat longer than expected. Because of the rough weather both my partner and I got SO sick. Unfortunately we'd made the mistake of getting an Ocean Recliner which is in a large area in close proximity to a lot of other people with a public toilet. Much like traveling economy on and overseas flight. Needless to say - this was a terrible experience. For our trip back we upgraded beforehand for a total of $134 to a indoor private cabin. Let me tell you - it was SO worth it! We had a private bathroom (including shower), bedding and comfortable beds. We even managed to sleep. We had dinner at the nice restaurant which was lovely and I recommend too. They had great Tasmanian produce.

6  Thank Emily S
Reviewed October 16, 2013

The ferry itself is modern and pleasant. The Leatherwood dining room was surprisingly good both in food quality and service. Cabin was small but comfortable for the overnight trip. Embarkation/disembarkation was a little complicated but the staff were good at keeping passengers organized. A smooth crossing contributed to our enjoyment of the trip.

4  Thank Watsonsgotravelling
Reviewed October 9, 2013

We have travelled on the spirit many times and have booked all types of cabin on offer. Our favourite when we are able to spend a bit more is the deluxe cabin although the value for money is less than it used to be. Once you would get a bottle of good Tassie wine bit now it is water. This time we were disappointed because the TV would not pick up reception at all. When you are paying. Hogher dollar you expect what they offer for that price. The leatherwood restaurant is excellent although this trip it was a little less up to standard. We prefer to use the spirit wherever possible because it is great to load up the car and not have to worry about extra baggage fees. I would urge the operator to review the value for money to entice a greater interest in sea travel to and from Tasmania.

Reviewed October 2, 2013

I recently went aboard the Sprit for a family holiday , we got onto the sprit from Melbourne to Tasmania , that was great it was only the trip back from Tassie to Melbourne that was a bit rough , we dined at one of the restaurants that evening , later that night it was very rocky , so I got a cup of tea to calm my nerves and that cost me $3! for a little cup , we took a car on-board and it took about 1 hour to wait , the room was cleaned OK but for what you pay for a room I would of expected better , I was ill later that night from sea sickness , on the bright side the staff were lovely and it is a experience but not one I would probably like to take again.

Date of experience: September 2013