“Excellent value for money”
Review of Spirit of Tasmania

Spirit of Tasmania
Ranked #4 of 31 things to do in Devonport
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Spirit of Tasmania is one of Australia’s most iconic travel experiences, operating sailings across Bass Strait between Melbourne and Devonport on Tasmania’s north coast. Spirit of Tasmania provides travellers with flexibility and convenience when planning a holiday. Our twin ships depart from both ports at 7.30pm and arrive the following morning at 6.00am. During peak season, we also operate day sailings departing from each port at 9.00am and arriving the same day at 6.00pm. On board, you can experience spectacular views, delicious food, great entertainment, relaxation and so much more! Experience the allure of sea travel. It’s fun, relaxing and stress-free. Simply drive on board for a holiday where half the fun is getting there. Embrace the ocean views, stroll the decks and breathe in the sea breeze - there’s nothing quite like it!
Reviewed March 15, 2012

I loved the boat but as we were travelling with pets, we didn't appreciate being first in the queue then waiting beside the boat until we were almost the last ones on. Escpecially as it was quite a warm day and we were told the pets weren't allowed out of the vehicles. The boat itself was great with good value meals available on board. Can't wait to go again. We had great seating with front row seats in the Ocean Recliners, but next time I'd like to upgrade to a cabin.

1  Thank WildcatNT
Write a ReviewReviews (1,599)
All reviews
in 17 reviews
"station pier"
in 18 reviews

Reviewed March 12, 2012

Travelled to Tasmania in February and returned in March.

The delays at both ends were extremely frustrating. We arrived early at 6:15pm at Port Melbourne to sit on the wharf until 8:45pm with no updates from the company as to what was happening.

Coming back, it was the same story at Devonport. Arrived 5:45pm and then sat in the holding yard until 8:15pm with no idea of when we were likely to board. As this seems to be the norm they should have toilets and a restaurant in the holding areas or tell everyone not to bother showing up before 8:00pm.

Actually, do yourself a favour, eat before you get there, or bring food. The restaurant is pretentious with a limited selection. The buffet food looked totally unappealing and overpriced. Attempting to purchase a sandwich 10 minutes after boarding met with a “we’ve run out” and a “you can try the other bar”. The other bar had almost run out and I wish they had, because what they sold us was dried out and not worth finishing.

But like all monopoly markets you just have to put up with it.

4  Thank BeeGeeM
Reviewed March 11, 2012

we got a birth because we had a baby, but was very conveinient having the car. little pricey but cheaper than flights and car hire.

1  Thank Samantha C
Reviewed March 5, 2012

We took a night crossing to Tasmania and a day crossing back to Melbourne two weeks later. For the extra cost, the night crossing is the way to go because unless you like reading or have a computer, it's a very boring trip during the day. The facilities are good, food is adequate and toilets are clean. Whether you enjoy the trip or not really depends on the weather. I felt a little queasy during the night crossing as it was stormy, but the day crossing was smooth.

2  Thank wotsaheaven4
See more reviews
Reviewed March 5, 2012

As a regular visitor to Tasmania, I thought I should at least try the Spirit once. And as I was bringing my car and dogs, it seemed like the most convenient way to travel.
The queue at Station Pier took over an hour to clear and the instructions both prior to and at boarding were practically non-existent.

I booked a cabin, which was acceptable, but having travelled on similar vessels in Scandinavia and other parts of Europe, was overpriced. The considerable mark-up on items in the shop was also an unpleasant surprise.

However, these were things I could live with. What I found more difficult was the atrocious level of service in the restaurant. The food was acceptable, but the complete lack of interest from the servers was disgraceful. One in particular was too busy talking to male patrons to adequately serve or to process orders correctly. While the waitress served two older men quite well, she practically ignored four tables occupied by women or couples. One or two other servers tried to assist, but in general, the experience was enough to put me off Leatherwood for my return voyage. Furthermore, for the price, the experience was subpar.

Overall, the shipboard experience was acceptable, but overpriced. In addition, the lack of communication from staff and often disinterested service (something I thought Tasmania was slowly leaving in the past) detracted from the trip.

For short trips, I would certainly fly and rent a car - you would arrive with less hassle and better rested. For longer trips, I may consider using the Spirit again, but only as a final resort.

Another thing to note is the booking experience. When changing my booking, I was quoted a cost of $360 over the phone (this included a $50 change fee). When I went online five minutes later to change my booking, I was refunded $22 from the amount I originally paid. I'm not sure whether the reservations block rooms for a time period, which resulted in this discrepancy, but I would monitor prices prior to booking or changing as it could save you considerable money.

1  Thank Saschi101