“Delightful overnight stay soured by morning check-out attitude of owner”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Derwent Bridge
Derwent Bridge Wilderness Hotel
Whyalla, Australia
“Delightful overnight stay soured by morning check-out attitude of owner”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 25, 2013 via mobile

My wife and I rode into Derwent Bridge on the Hobart to Strahan leg of our once in a life time motorcycle tour of Tassie for an overnight stay at the Wilderness Hotel. It was drizzling rain that day with storms forecast for the next and the lady that greeted us at the counter was lovely and told us we could park the bike up under the cover of the verandah and if we wanted she could swipe my credit card straight away and any meals or drinks we had could be charged against the card rather than paying as we went. When we checked out the manual swipe would be torn up and we could fix the bill then. To cut a long story short we had a wonderful meal that night and were treated with warm hospitality and everthing was great until we were to check out the next morning. Because of the rain that morning my wife and I decided that we would have our breakfast then get geared up in our riding and wet weather clothes and pack our motorcycle and trailer and then while I warmed the bike up my wife would go and pay our bill. When my wife walked into the bar to find the owner Dave to settle our account another guest said " He's looking for you " to which my wife replied " Who is looking for me? " The guest. replied " I think the owner " Then Dave the owner came in from outside and said rudely " You know youve got meals and drinks to pay for as well " to which my wife replied " Yes ". This mans whole attitude had changed even from an hour previous when he explained about the breakfast buffet and could not have been more polite and helpful. We think that he thought we were trying to skip out without paying, instead of what we were doing and that is trying to be ready for a break in the rain to minimise the risk for the next leg of our trip to Strahan on twisty mountain roads. My wife did not tell me about the owners rude attitude until we were safely in Strahan because she new I would be upset and the road needed my undevided attention. Thanks to the owner for souring an otherwise pleasant stay.

• Stayed March 2013
1 Thank Darren C

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
Perth, Western Australia, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 20, 2013 via mobile

Stayed here overnight on a cycle trip and very happy with the experience. We booked a lower end non en suite room which was very basic but clean and comfortable with tea/coffee making and a heater. Dining room/bar area was lovely - woode panelled with open fire and great atmosphere for meeting other tourists. Very tasty dinner and nice wine selection. What makes this hotel 'very good' rather than just average is that they went out of their way to provide breakfast in a hamper for us the night before as we wanted an early start before their usual breakfast time, they also made us a fantastic picnic lunch at a very reasonable price.

Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Highland Cabins and Cottages at Bronte Park
Tarraleah Lodge
Tarraleah Lodge
#1 of 4 in Tarraleah

Been to Derwent Bridge Wilderness Hotel? Share your experiences!