We stayed at Cradle Mountain Chateau in October 2013.
The Chateau's are in a fantastic location, and there is so much potential, but in the end, we were quite disappointed.
The rooms are very tired and old, from the carpet, to the caravan style bathrooms, to the 80-yr old bedding cover, to the tiny heater in the corner of the room (which did very little).
It felt a little like a nursing home and we were really uncomfortable which we found really unpleasant.
The buffet breakfast was plain appalling. We paid around $26-$30 each for breakfast, so I expected quality, and received flavourless food, with very little choice, and I didn't even know it was possible to ruin scrambled eggs. Buffet dinner was marginally better, but still very expensive for very minimal choice.
We ended up going to Peppers (The Lodge) for buffet breakfast every morning after our bad experience at the Chateau. It's cheaper, better and there is so much more choice at Cradle Mountain Lodge for breakfast - the staff are much friendlier too!
On our second last morning at 9am, the fire alarm went off. We all exited our rooms to witness the owner running frantically down the hall. She didn't answer any questions and instilled quite a bit of panic in the guests. We didn't know whether to evacuate or wait, gather somewhere else, and we never got an answer in the end.
It's a shamed the hotel doesn't have better management as it has such massive potential and is in such a beautiful area.
We plan to return to Cradle Mountain next year, but will certainly base ourselves at the Peppers lodge as it is better value and a much more comfortable stay.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- On the fringe of alpine wilderness, Cradle Mountain Hotel sits on the edge of Cradle Mountain Lake St Clair National Park. It's the perfect base for alpine walks. Be pampered at the end of the day with hearty mountain fare and a crackling log fire. The Hotel is home to The Wilderness Galley, a magnificent collection of nature photography. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Priceline, Hotwire, Hotels.com, Travelocity, Orbitz, TravelClick, Agoda, TripOnline SA, HotelQuickly and Evoline ltd so you can book your Cradle Mountain Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Cradle Mountain Chateau Hotel Cradle Mountain-Lake St. Clair National Park
- Cradle Mountain Hotel Cradle Mountain-Lake St. Clair National Park, Tasmania