“Wombats!”

Peppers Cradle Mountain Lodge
“Wombats!”
Reviewed August 1, 2013

Stayed in the contemporary spa suite, that has a gas heater and spa. The bathroom appears a little dated but the room itself was as expected.

Fantastic location with some Breathtaking walks. Enjoyed the Dove Canyon walk immensely, but would not recommend unless you have waterproof hiking boots. It involves dodging muddy 10cm deep sections of the track and a fun short scramble up a cliff face. Otherwise a small section is boarded and I got to see a wombat.

Dove lake is an easy walk and I was lucky to see snow on the mountains at Cradle mountain. The park pass is $16.50 and you Can drive all the way 2WD to the lake. There is also a free park shuttle bus for tourists.

Agree that the pub meals are overpriced, but the fire is lovely and the serving sizes are generous. I didn't try the restaurant. The schnitzel is better than the steak. And the wedges are great! Menu is also a bit boring.

Had a facial which was very lovely with elemis products. The lodge has a shop where you can get some snacks if needed. I was hoping for some crackers or cookies in the minibar. They only had small packets of nuts.

Everything has a 2% credit card surcharge. If you can afford it, stay here it's lovely. But it is not as luxurious as I had hoped.

Room Tip: I was desperate for a room with a fireplace, but had the gas imitation as it was just me. However th...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (444)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Reviewed August 1, 2013 via mobile

Spent a night recently, the drive from Hobart is long approx 5hrs and not much enroute but once we were visiting Tassie we wanted to experience Cradle Mtn. Overall have no complaints, very nice ski-lodge type feel, beautiful trails and water falls nearby and lots of local australian wildlife virtually on your doorstep. We were disappointed that there was no available entry into the spa, one has to book this in advance. Breakfast was rather chaotic on Sunday morning, clearly understaffed, but, having said this I believe the lodge had 100% occupancy. The buffet was ok. All in all, pleased we went but not compelled to return .

• Stayed July 2013
WA
Reviewed July 30, 2013

The pencil pine room was very comfortable with a lovely view of the bush from the picture window. Bathroom adequate but chilly. Could hear neighbours talking in the room next door. Expensive pub style meals but restaurant was high quality food for evening meal. Great buffet breakfast. The location is everything here. Lovely surrounds with abundant wildlife in the grounds. The staff were great. Very busy at night and not easy to get a table in the tavern area to sit down and eat. Thoroughly enjoyed our stay but would investigate other options next time.

Room Tip: Take some of your own drinks with you and use the room fridge as they are only available at "pu...
hobart
Reviewed July 28, 2013

Great place to visit so I'll dot point the good and bad.

GOOD
Cradle mountain and Dove lake walks, excellent.
Dinner in the restaurant was good quality and very yummy
The pencil pine room was warm and the bed comfortable
Buffet breakfast was a great was a great way the start the day
The weather, we were very lucky for this time of year.

BAD
Local signage and maps, very scarce.
The price of food and drinks, extremely over priced. $20 for a burger with no more flare than a Big Mac.
The noise from adjoining cabins, if its peace an quiet you are after, good luck. I swear the kids wee running on the ceiling.
Overall cleanliness of room. Soap scum on everything. Bed had been laid on.

To sum up. If we had pad the usual rack rate of $350 for Saturday night rather than the $180, local deal, I would have only given a 1star rating for our stay. Basically peppers cradle resort is a 3.5 - 4 star resort charging 5 star rates and meal prices.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 28, 2013

I booked into the Peppers Lodge, Cradle Mountain for 3 nights and ended up extending to 5 nights, it was THAT incredible ( I would have stayed longer if the fly fishing and horse riding were operating) .
I wasn't expecting great accommodation, so I was pleasantly surprised when I found my cabin to be tastefully decorated and quiet comfortable. I stayed in a Spa cabin, and was traveling solo, so it suited me perfectly. It still shows some evidence of the original resort from 30+ years ago, but mostly it's modern, clean and very comfortable.
The resort manager, Leigh is a wonderful lady who is very friendly yet still professional, and is forever helpful. The rest of the crew, although young are also very professional and they seem to have the place operating in a good system...no one messes up your orders or misplaced your meal etc, they all seem to be 'on the ball'.
After a full days hiking I spent most evenings in the main Lodge in front of the enormous fire place reading the newspaper and enjoying a good drop of local red and a cheese board, curled up in the large brown leather sofas. I felt perfectly at ease doing this alone, and enjoyed dinner at the tavern each night as well, which offered simple and satisfying dinners that had several healthy options. I did indulge in the best xmas pudding ive ever had (sorry mum) as they were having a little xmas in July theme going on.
I took a night tour with John, a lovely gent form nearby Sheffield, who spotlights the adorable animals at night when they are most active, we saw many cute and fury critters, and I was glad I did go...the Tassie wilderness is a whole different place by night.
The day walks were utterly spectacular and 5 days of the combination of the breathtaking walks into the wilderness and relaxing by the fire of a night have breathed new life into my once city stressed body!
I highly recommend this accommodation to facilitate the day hikes to anyone who loves to challenge their fitness and has a true passion for the wilderness and big log fires.
My only disappointment is because I was travelling solo I did not try the Highlands restaurant as I've heard great things...but next time when I return with my partner we will be there every night.
The breakfast buffet was fantastic....I stocked up at brekkie and didn't need to eat until that evening!
The only negative comment I can say is the walls between cabins don't seem to be insulated as I could hear the guests next door, the floor boards are very noisy so I could hear every time they walked around their cabin (needless to say I was not thankful of them playing their stereo at 1am!) But that was just my bad luck getting some inconsiderate clown next door for one night, the rest of the time was utterly peaceful.

Room Tip: Opt for the modern furnished cabins, as I think the 'Traditional style cabins' are with the...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
Reviewed July 26, 2013

We stayed here a week or so ago, we were extremely disappointed in the room, however intended to just suck up our loss and have a great time anyway, as the area is beautiful. We went to the lodge pub for dinner, thinking we would get a hearty pub meal. As a vegetarian I had the $17 pumpkin cannelloni and my partner had one of the $20 pizzas. When the food came out I was shocked, the pizza was TINY and was a frozen base (disgusting and indelible- unfilling) and my cannelloni was terrible lasagne with no sauce (even though there was Napoli on the menu)- this was the final straw. I complained at the pub and managed to get some sauce for my meal. We then decided after spending over $400 at this 4.5 star lodge that we would write a formal complaint. When we checked out the next morning the complaint was left unresolved. We were told we would receive a phone call as the manager was away. It never came. We ended up calling them 5 days later and were told the manager was busy and would call back later. No one ever called. Terrible service for a 4.5 star lodge. Really disappointed.

1 Thank Ruby W
CMLTasmania, General Manager at Peppers Cradle Mountain Lodge, responded to this review, August 1, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback on your recent stay.

Please accept my apologies in regards to the delay in phoning you, I have been travelling a lot this month with work and our Front Office Manager has since spoken with you.

In regards to your disappointment with the room, as was discussed with you none of our rooms have televisions and we are very proud of this as we believe it encourages our guests to experience and enjoy nature more than they normally would should the distraction of a television be around.

Also please accept my apologies in regards to the issues you have raised regarding our Tavern. I have addressed this with our Executive Chef and his team.

Also thank you for your kind comments on the phone in which you advised that you did think all the staff handled your complaint well.

I am glad we were able to address some of the issues you raised during your stay and can only apologize for any disappointment you experienced.

Regards
Leigh Reid
Peppers Cradle Mountain Lodge
Reviewed July 24, 2013

two friends and I stayed for two nights , seen a bit of snow which was great lots of wildlife wandering around , perfect location we dined in the restaurant one night and oh my god best steak I've ever had I'd fly from qld just for that :) but the highlight was a lovely staff member named Jayne , best attitude , extremely happy an full of life she was able to give us all the advice an recommendations we needed , looking forward to coming back in a couple months keep up the good work :)

• Stayed July 2013
Also consider these accommodations in or near Cradle Mountain-Lake St. Clair National Park
Cradle Mountain Hotel
Cradle Mountain Hotel
#2 of 2 in Cradle Mountain-Lake St. Clair National Park
Mole Creek Guesthouse
Mole Creek Guesthouse
#1 of 1 in Mole Creek
Cradle Mountain Wilderness Village
Cradle Mountain Wilderness Villa...
#2 of 6 in Cradle Mountain-Lake St. Clair National Park
Cradle Mountain Highlanders Cottages
Cradle Mountain Highlanders Cott...
#1 of 6 in Cradle Mountain-Lake St. Clair National Park
Pumphouse Point
Pumphouse Point
#1 of 1 in Cradle Mountain-Lake St. Clair National Park
Discovery Parks - Cradle Mountain
Discovery Parks - Cradle Mountai...
#3 of 6 in Cradle Mountain-Lake St. Clair National Park

Been to Peppers Cradle Mountain Lodge? Share your experiences!