Lake St Clair Lodge
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
Bronte Park Village(Bronte Park)
Tarraleah Estate(Tarraleah)
West Coaster Motel(Queenstown)
Silver Hills Motel(Queenstown)
  • Free Internet
The Empire Hotel(Queenstown)
  • Restaurant
Peppers Cradle Mountain Lodge(Cradle Mountain-Lake St. Clair National Park)
  • Restaurant
Cradle Mountain Hotel(Cradle Mountain-Lake St. Clair National Park)
  • Restaurant
All reviewsclosing timestudio cabinday hikewine liststayed for one nightgas fireplaceamazing locationskipperwalkswildernesstorchwinterwildlifebushechidnascenerypossums
FilterAll languages
Reviewed November 11, 2012

I stayed in the twin share dorm room for 1 night and that was quite enough. Picture the smallest space possible to fit in 2 single beds, wooden floor and a tiny window and that's what it was which wouldnt be so bad if they didnt charge 4 star hotel prices for it. What you get for the price is dismal.
The cafe has a very limited selection and you pay restaurant prices for average quality meals.
The area looked nice and all but to be honest, if I had known the accommodation would be so bad, I would have skipped this stop altogether.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with friends
4  Thank Benicio
Reviewed November 6, 2012

I don't really like to write reviews, even less negative ones. But this accommodation really deserves one.

I had booked a dorm bed - relatively cheap ($40) given I would just spend a quick night there, and hit the road at 6 am.

Unfortunately I arrived a bit later than planned - around 19.40. Roads were a bit slower than I expected, and I also paid a visit to Strahan on the coast. The lodge restaurant was luckily still open, and they agreed to prepare a meal, which I really appreciate. The pasta was very good, and so was the cake.

At around 20.20 I made my way to the cabin. It is some way in the woods; probably a 3-4 minute walk from the main restaurant. There were barely any people staying, although this was Friday night. Still out of season. I was alone in the dorm room. What was my surprise to find there are no blankets are linen! Aren't those supposed to be included in the price? Why was I not contacted even once, not even at check-in, about linen? The night was freezing. How do you sleep without blankets?

I returned immediately to the restaurant, only to find it closed. The out of hours phone was no picked by anyone. There was a sign telling to go to cabin 6. Cabin 6 was locked and dark. Phone kept ringing. This went on until 22.00, when I decided to try my luck finding a place to stay in Derwent Bridge. I was absolutely exhausted.

They didn't even bother responding to my emails afterwards.

Otherwise the location is great. Food is ridiculously over-priced. ($19 for a bowl of pasta?)

I stayed in a budget room at Derwent Bridge hotel for $30 + $5 for linen (first thing the lady there did was to ask whether I want to hire linen! - this is GOOD service!).

I also paid $24 for the car park in the national park. What a grand rip-off! Thanks guys. The only negative experience in the whole of Tasmania, and in fact, the whole of Australia.

Otherwise the lake was stunning in the morning.

How do certain companies even get licence to operate in Tasmania?

Oh, and the beds were horribly dirty. I don't think the room was cleaned in some time. It was also dark - just one lamp in the whole area (apart from the wet-lit restaurant area).

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled solo
6  Thank eekandelmo
Reviewed October 18, 2012

We stayed at Mount St Clair campground having had it recommended by some travellers we met elsewhere on the road but can only assume they got the name wrong? We arrived around 5pm (too late, unfortunately, to go anywhere else) to find the "campsite" to be a carpark behind a construction area - a fact that was definitely not mentioned when I had called earlier in the day to confirm. What annoyed me the most, though, was that they had the gall to charge us $45 for our powered site in with the construction workers with a very very basic amenity block that we tried to steer clear of. The receptionist looked at me like I was crazy when I suggested that perhaps she could give us a bit of a discount given the state of the site. Not at all happy, particularly when we spent the next night at Mount Field National Park for $32 with a lovely site, camp kitchen, excellent amenties, laundry, etc. Seriously don't waste your time on this one.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
6  Thank Alexandra P
Reviewed October 5, 2012

The lakeside cabins are a strange mix - some excellent aspects and lots of little things that make it frustrating to stay here:
* Workmanship of the cabins is highly variable. They're marketed as being luxury cabins, but there's lots of poor design decisions in the layout of the cabins, lights, switches, etc. Obvious construction mistakes painted over or just left there.
* No crockery/cutlery - make no mistake, you cannot cook anything more complex than a cup of coffee in these cabins, you are expected to go to the restaurant for everything. We ended up raiding the backpacker kitchen for something as simple as a bowl(!).
* The restaurant is overpriced for very average quality - charging restaurant prices for pub food (tip: if your first question is "would you like that with chips & salad?", it's pub food.), and then the kitchen closes at 7:30 unless (or even if) you make a reservation.

Basically it's trying to be a resort, but...not quite making it. Save your money and stay outside the park.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 22, 2012

We booked a lakeside spa cabin online for a weekend in July, and confirmed our reservation over the phone. We checked in at the visitor centre, where the staff were very friendly, and gave us directions to drive about 500m to where the cabins were. The big disappointment was that when we emerged from the trees to see the cabins, we found ourselves in a construction site...orange flagging tape everywhere, piles of building rubble and skip bins (including right next to our cabin), and "danger keep out" signs....plus several builders walking around and the peaceful sound of car radios and power tools! The natural scenery at Lake St Clair is so stunning, and we went in winter, expecting it to be quiet and peaceful, so were very disappointed with the scene we found on our arrival. If we were warned about the construction, either when booking on the website or over the phone, we may have felt less ripped off. It may not have been peak rates, but it was not cheap at $240 for the night. A staff member on site observed us looking unhappy outside our cabin, and told us that the building of new cabins had been happening all year and it had caused issues with other guests too. I can understand that they don't want to deter business, but I think it is very misleading not to warn guests prior to booking. We asked whether the builders would return the following day (a Sunday), and he said they usually started very early, but he would ask them to keep the noise down?!? As it turned out, they arrived early but were quiet.

Other than that, our cabin was very nice, modern with a comfortable king bed, gas fire and nice spa bathroom. The big downside was privacy - the cabin is actually conjoined to another one, and sits directly on the road which leads to other cabins. There are no privacy blinds on the windows, only heavy curtains, so if you actually want to see the view and let the light in, you have to be prepared that anyone walking past (in our case, builders) can see straight in - and the bed is in the main room. Also, one full-length window (a ground level balcony door) only had loose lace netting, not even a curtain, so at night with the lights on, people would be able to see straight in - to where the bed is - and this door overlooked the road that leads to other cabins. None of the other current lakeside spa cabins looked more private, and a couple were worse, as we walked directly past the main window of one, looking onto the bed, from the ramp to our cabin's front door. Lucky for us we were the only ones staying, but I wouldn't want to be there when the place is full (there is also a backpackers lodge and camping at the same location). The older style cabins looked more private, but not sure if they would have views. The new cabins being built looked like they might be in a better location,

Other things were overlooked too - all simple things which with some attention would greatly improve the comfort and feel of the cabin. We only had two towels (for a spa cabin?) and both had been shaped into those animal sculptures on the bed - meaning you felt like someone's hands had been all over your towels...at other places I've stayed, if they do that, you usually get a separate fresh towel. The water jug in the fridge had been left with about 1cm of scummy, murky water in the bottom, so we had to wash that prior to re-filling. We also had to clean spilt milk out of the fridge. There were two wineglasses (which didn't match, picky I know, but just small details!), and 2 teaspoons - a few other utensils in the kitchenette would have helped.

We had dinner at the on-site restaurant - the staff were very friendly but seemed to be a skeleton staff - and our dinner was cooked by the manager rather than a chef (and it definitely showed) - and meals were still at the restaurant prices on the menu. We would have just preferred if they told us the restaurant wasn't operating as usual, due to it being a quiet winter period, and we would have gone down the road to the pub.

So overall although the location is beautiful and definitely worth visiting, I wouldn't recommend staying here if you are looking for a special weekend, at least not in the near future,

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple