“What a difference a chef makes”

Raindrops Restaurant
Ranked #20 of 73 Restaurants in Burnie
Reviewed August 27, 2013

This place is well positioned to be an absolute cracker. It has an awesome original 70's decor that could be taken advantage of. Since my last visit however the food quality in this restaurant has plummeted. Menu prices are laughable for the food you are served. Entree of seafood chowder was some frozen prawns and frozen scallops thawed out in some runny thin cream or carnation milk. Horrible and tasteless. Served with a packaged butter portion and a dinner roll...one of the frozen ones that come in boxes and you reheat. For the prices on this menu, that is insulting. The $17 (yes $17-) entree of fried fillet of beef strips with dipping sauce was a burnt little pile of almost black fried meat no bigger than a match box. I am NOT exagerating. To add insult it was garnished with a piece of lettuce from the standard mesculin mix leaf that you buy at woolworths. Puhlease...for the price??? Come on!! ?? We rejected this for the price and were offered some more meat however we declined because it honestly looked horrible. The waitress told us it was the offcuts from the scotch fillet. When we rejected the offer of a larger portion the waitress made sure that from the kitchen door, she yelled to the chef that we didn't want it. The next waitress asked me how my chowder was when she noticed that I had left the bowl of milk. I advised her quietly that it really was tasteless. She offerred something but I advised it was ok that I had eaten the seafood (frozen) out of it ( I was hungry) anyway. Then the $36 steak came out. With frozen fries, boiled carrots and cauliflower/broccoli in cheese sauce (out of a bottle). The broccoli was brown. Refer to the picture for how it was presented on the plate! Not even house cut fries for these prices??? Unbelievable poor in quality and presentation for the price. A big plus was that the steak was tender and it was cooked rare as we had requested. I think if the steak had not been ok we would gave refused to pay at all. We observed another diner advising the waitress that his steak had not been cooked as he had asked. We honestly could not do anything but laugh. We tried not to let our rare opportunity for a night out to dinner together to be spoiled. Obviously for our benefit, the waitress again yelled from the kitchen door that the seafood chowder was nice. At least her theatrics gave us some entertainment and something to laugh at as well. I must qualify at this stage that the blonde haired waitress remained professional and nice, even tho she would have found it challenging to have to receive our negative feedback. The dark haired doorway yelling waitress needs to learn however its not personal. When you ask how meals are you have to be able to handle the truth professionally. We ordered some sweets....more for the amusement just so we could see possibly 'what next' and maybe have another laugh. We had little warm mudcakes which were nice. But you guessed it...the accompanying cream was ...yes....out of a spray can!!! So we had another giggle. We didn't say anything however as we were already 'mr and mrs pain in the butt' who should just eat and say everything is fine when asked! I am sure they were glad to see the back of us.....and that was also made obvious by the waitress who took our money. They need not worry. They have seen our backs for the last time. And they will never see the front or back of any of our friends and family again.

3  Thank snail9

Reviewed July 20, 2012 via mobile

Staying at the hotel for business, ate breakfast here and both occasions was great!

1970's layout is strangely back in fashion, might need a slight update but service is smiling and cheerful!

Reviewed June 3, 2012

At the restaurant for a function and although there was a group of us the service was second to none and the meals were exceptional