“Beautiful Night”

Ranked #1 of 6 Hotels in Burnie
Hobart, Australia
“Beautiful Night”
Reviewed August 30, 2013

My partner and I were extremely impressed with the Ikon hotel, from the service to the room itself. We were greeted by Samantha who gave us a friendly welcome and explained the details of the room to us. After she left we had a chance to explore for ourselves. We found it to be a beautiful open atmosphere complemented by european furniture and a huge mirror which made the room feel even bigger. The size of the room was really quite good for the price. The technology and entertainment systems were high-end and modern (BOSE sound); the only thing we could complain about was the lack of a DVD or Blu-Ray player. However they did have TWO large LG TVs in the room! Bathroom was sleek and modern, and like the rest of the room had plenty of space. My partner and I enjoyed the spa and double shower.

Prior to staying here we’d seen some other reviews about these rooms, and it seems the memory foam is not for everyone- however we enjoyed the feel of the soft mattress and slept comfortably.

Overall we both enjoyed everything the room had to offer, and we’d definitely stay again! Recommended for anyone looking to stay in a quality, reasonably priced hotel in the centre of Burnie.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Aidan C

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
Reviewed August 18, 2013

Well what an experience. We checked in late in the afternoon and Steve, who appeared to be the Owner/Manager/Receptionist/ Porter and Valet couldn't do more for us. The service was memorable just like the mattress! The room was enormous and they have covered all the finer details that other hotels miss, like real milk in the fridge for the real tea and coffee they provide, the most comfortable bed ever including matching pillows, high quality furnishings. Even though we didn't use the mini bar a quick check of the prices indicated that the prices were very low which was a surprise given the high quality of the rooms. To top it off we even had a view of the ocean. The only concern some may have is the stairs. Being an old building the is no elevator, so two flights of stairs. But with Steve carrying all our bags this was little effort. Oh, also a free modern laundry on the first floor was very convenient given this was day 9 on the road. Well done Ikon!

Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank stylmarc
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed August 13, 2013

I have to admit the entrance to the hotel via a restaurant made me think I'd made a mistake however I was soon to find my concerns were unfounded.

A one night stay in Burnie in a very large clean comfortable room. The beds are great. Not having experienced a memory foam bed I was pleasantly surprised.

I will definitely stay again.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Auroar
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed August 2, 2013

This place was recommended by another venue in Burnie who were booked out and wow, what a great recommendation.

When you arrive you enter the Hotel downstairs and there's a phone that you pick up which automatically connects you to reception. The young lady from reception was there to serve me in a flash. She was incredibly polite and friendly and took time to show me through my room and all the features of it. You have to climb a set of stairs to get to your accommodation so not so good if you find that hard.

The room.......wow, it was HUGE. I had a lounge area with a big screen TV (a good quality one too), a small dining area with a little kitchenette with cutlery and crockery and a microwave. Great for if you want to pick up some simple food from Woolies and heat it up. The bathroom was also HUGE with a double shower. It was spotlessly clean.

The bedroom area had a massive and incredibly comfortable bed with another big screen TV and a Bose clock radio and iPod dock. Bose........are you serious? Incredible quality sound. I docked my iPod and cranked the music up for a while.

There was a massive 3 seater lounge, another single seat chair, plus a single seat with foot stool and a desk as well as a large 4-6 seater table. Just ridiculous considering it cost me what I pay for an average good quality small motel room all around Australia. The carpet was plush and clean too.

Everything in this place just wreaks of quality; the furnishings, the bathroom fit out, the good quality big screen TVs, the good quality microwave and kettle. Even the ironing board and iron are top shelf quality. I don't think I've ever seen such a stable, solid, good quality ironing board.

On top of all that, they have high speed, free wi-fi and secure parking just across the road (also free). The mini bar is well stocked and very well priced ($4 for a local Tassie beer). They also have real milk (instead of those horrible UHT things) plus cereals and yoghurts.

The hotel downstairs has pretty nice food. I dined there and had a pizza and it was just perfect. Really cosy and warm which was nice considering it was so cold outside. I could hear the noise from the pub in my room but even on the Thursday and Friday night it had all but completely quietened down by 9pm which is pretty reasonable really. You can also use charge back to your room at a number of local restaurants. I got fish and chips one night from Octopus FIsh Shop just down the road and it was bloody awesome. $10.50 got me a huge piece of fish, heaps of chips and a couple of chunky potatoes scallops with their own home-made tartare sauce. Highly recommend them.

You are smack in the centre of town and in walking distance to everything. You can wander down to the boardwalk and enjoy the ocean or walk to any number of cafes and restaurants and shops.

This really is one of the finest places I've stayed anywhere around Australia. I run my own business and try to keep my costs down, but I also refuse to stay in feral, dodgy places. I've stayed in places in Melbourne, Adelaide, Sydney and Brisbane that charge more than this place and don't even come close in quality.

Totally recommend this place. My experience was pretty much faultless and I'll be back without a doubt.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank Geoffreyallan
Tracy A, Front Office Manager at Ikon Hotel, responded to this review, August 5, 2013
Thank you for the wonderful review! Our team here at Ikon Hotel were thrilled to read such wonderful feedback. We all take great pride in our Hotel and love when our guests leave happy. Our aim at Ikon Hotel is to really listen to what each individual guest needs.

Every customer feedback envelope we read and implement changes where needed, we also archive them too. We strive to be a lovely, welcoming and relaxing Hotel where our guests are excited to return. We look forward to welcoming you back.
Melbourne
Reviewed July 16, 2013 via mobile

I travel here for work every 8 weeks and have struggled in the past with finding decent accomdation in Burnie until the Ikon opened. I have nothing bad to say about this place. The service from Tracy and staff is excellent. The rooms are huge and the bed is very comfortable with the memory foam mattress.

the restaurant downstairs is in no way connected and next time I stay I will try somewhere else.

I will continue to book to stay here...the best in town!

Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank SassMelbourne
Adelaide, Australia
Reviewed June 26, 2013

We stayed two nights at the Ikon and thoroughly enjoyed our stay. The location was very central, close to shops and the shorefront (lovely mid winter sunrise over the water). The room was spacious, modern and clean with quality linen, towels and toiletries. The mini bar was very well priced (at normal retail prices rather than the usual hefty prices) and included local producers (eg coffee, whiskey and chocolate). The heating was effective and the electric blanket added extra cosiness - in fact we didn't really need it. Access to wifi and the simple desk in the uncluttered room with plenty of natural lighting made it a pleasant work space. It's worth noting that although access to the hotel is through the downstairs restaurant, this eatery is not part of the Ikon - its a completely separate business, which we discovered when we wanted to take our coffee upstairs. We also enjoyed the original (and huge) Capiello posters in the foyer. Great customer service - would highly recommend.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed June 21, 2013

A local friend booked me into this boutique property, otherwise I would never have stumbled across it.
It is right in town, and a real gem.
No reception, you enter through a restaurant below and use a courtesy phone to alert staff of your arrival, you are then shown to your giant room with separate sitting area, kitchenette and king bedroom, all tastefully decorated art Deco style, with the biggest mirror you have ever seen in a hotel room.
They supply cereal and yoghurt in the room for breakfast, and there is a nice selection of coffees in jars rather than those evil sachets which is a winner for me.
My only negatives was the noise of the traffic, and that if you have luggage you have to lug it up a couple of flights of stairs,.
They have secure underground parking across the road.
I will stay here on my next visit to Burnie, it has character and style, and is not just another hotel room.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Sharon R
Also consider these accommodations in or near Burnie
The Madsen Boutique Hotel
#4 of 6 in Burnie
The Waterfront Wynyard
The Waterfront Wynyard
#1 of 1 in Wynyard

Been to Ikon Hotel? Share your experiences!