“Absolutely fantastic.........”
Review of Ikon Hotel

Ikon Hotel
Ranked #1 of 5 Hotels in Burnie
Reviewed August 2, 2013

This place was recommended by another venue in Burnie who were booked out and wow, what a great recommendation.

When you arrive you enter the Hotel downstairs and there's a phone that you pick up which automatically connects you to reception. The young lady from reception was there to serve me in a flash. She was incredibly polite and friendly and took time to show me through my room and all the features of it. You have to climb a set of stairs to get to your accommodation so not so good if you find that hard.

The room.......wow, it was HUGE. I had a lounge area with a big screen TV (a good quality one too), a small dining area with a little kitchenette with cutlery and crockery and a microwave. Great for if you want to pick up some simple food from Woolies and heat it up. The bathroom was also HUGE with a double shower. It was spotlessly clean.

The bedroom area had a massive and incredibly comfortable bed with another big screen TV and a Bose clock radio and iPod dock. Bose........are you serious? Incredible quality sound. I docked my iPod and cranked the music up for a while.

There was a massive 3 seater lounge, another single seat chair, plus a single seat with foot stool and a desk as well as a large 4-6 seater table. Just ridiculous considering it cost me what I pay for an average good quality small motel room all around Australia. The carpet was plush and clean too.

Everything in this place just wreaks of quality; the furnishings, the bathroom fit out, the good quality big screen TVs, the good quality microwave and kettle. Even the ironing board and iron are top shelf quality. I don't think I've ever seen such a stable, solid, good quality ironing board.

On top of all that, they have high speed, free wi-fi and secure parking just across the road (also free). The mini bar is well stocked and very well priced ($4 for a local Tassie beer). They also have real milk (instead of those horrible UHT things) plus cereals and yoghurts.

The hotel downstairs has pretty nice food. I dined there and had a pizza and it was just perfect. Really cosy and warm which was nice considering it was so cold outside. I could hear the noise from the pub in my room but even on the Thursday and Friday night it had all but completely quietened down by 9pm which is pretty reasonable really. You can also use charge back to your room at a number of local restaurants. I got fish and chips one night from Octopus FIsh Shop just down the road and it was bloody awesome. $10.50 got me a huge piece of fish, heaps of chips and a couple of chunky potatoes scallops with their own home-made tartare sauce. Highly recommend them.

You are smack in the centre of town and in walking distance to everything. You can wander down to the boardwalk and enjoy the ocean or walk to any number of cafes and restaurants and shops.

This really is one of the finest places I've stayed anywhere around Australia. I run my own business and try to keep my costs down, but I also refuse to stay in feral, dodgy places. I've stayed in places in Melbourne, Adelaide, Sydney and Brisbane that charge more than this place and don't even come close in quality.

Totally recommend this place. My experience was pretty much faultless and I'll be back without a doubt.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank Geoffreyallan
Tracy A, Front Office Manager at Ikon Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded August 5, 2013

Thank you for the wonderful review! Our team here at Ikon Hotel were thrilled to read such wonderful feedback. We all take great pride in our Hotel and love when our guests leave happy. Our aim at Ikon Hotel is to really listen to what each individual guest needs.

Every customer feedback envelope we read and implement changes where needed, we also archive them too. We strive to be a lovely, welcoming and relaxing Hotel where our guests are excited to return. We look forward to welcoming you back.

Reviewed July 16, 2013

I travel here for work every 8 weeks and have struggled in the past with finding decent accomdation in Burnie until the Ikon opened. I have nothing bad to say about this place. The service from Tracy and staff is excellent. The rooms are huge and the bed is very comfortable with the memory foam mattress.

the restaurant downstairs is in no way connected and next time I stay I will try somewhere else.

I will continue to book to stay here...the best in town!

Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank SassMelbourne
Reviewed June 26, 2013

We stayed two nights at the Ikon and thoroughly enjoyed our stay. The location was very central, close to shops and the shorefront (lovely mid winter sunrise over the water). The room was spacious, modern and clean with quality linen, towels and toiletries. The mini bar was very well priced (at normal retail prices rather than the usual hefty prices) and included local producers (eg coffee, whiskey and chocolate). The heating was effective and the electric blanket added extra cosiness - in fact we didn't really need it. Access to wifi and the simple desk in the uncluttered room with plenty of natural lighting made it a pleasant work space. It's worth noting that although access to the hotel is through the downstairs restaurant, this eatery is not part of the Ikon - its a completely separate business, which we discovered when we wanted to take our coffee upstairs. We also enjoyed the original (and huge) Capiello posters in the foyer. Great customer service - would highly recommend.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed June 21, 2013

A local friend booked me into this boutique property, otherwise I would never have stumbled across it.
It is right in town, and a real gem.
No reception, you enter through a restaurant below and use a courtesy phone to alert staff of your arrival, you are then shown to your giant room with separate sitting area, kitchenette and king bedroom, all tastefully decorated art Deco style, with the biggest mirror you have ever seen in a hotel room.
They supply cereal and yoghurt in the room for breakfast, and there is a nice selection of coffees in jars rather than those evil sachets which is a winner for me.
My only negatives was the noise of the traffic, and that if you have luggage you have to lug it up a couple of flights of stairs,.
They have secure underground parking across the road.
I will stay here on my next visit to Burnie, it has character and style, and is not just another hotel room.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Sharon R
Reviewed May 19, 2013 via mobile

The only things we didnt like was the memory foam bed (we were more used to it the second night) and the shower in our room was in a bath which allowed water to go absolutely everywhere. The shower heads werent the best. Overall it was ok, rooms are so massive but we found we didnt need that much space anyway. It was really clean and staff were extremely helpful.

• Stayed: May 2013
Reviewed April 25, 2013

As mentioned by other reviewers the rooms are spacious, clean and tastefully decorated. The king size bed that we had was very comfortable and made of memory foam. The mini bar is excellent, well stocked and reasonably priced. This is a really classy hotel and is situated right in the CBD. Artwork on corridor walls is awesome, we would certainly stay here again.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Malcolm P
Reviewed April 25, 2013

We had a corner room on the first floor overlooking the street.
Lovely old building, large rooms with high ceilings. Very comfortable, free Wi-Fi, basic cold breakfast (packets of cereal) and a great location. The room was quiet except for a little noise coming up from the restaurant below in the evening.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Burnie
The Madsen Boutique Hotel
Best Western Murchison Lodge Motor Inn
Beachway
Beachway
#1 of 3 in Ulverstone

Been to Ikon Hotel? Share your experiences!