The Menai Motel & Function Centre
  • Room Service
  • Beachfront
Beachway(Ulverstone)
  • Pool
See what travelers are saying:
Reviewed October 20, 2013

I had a rather unnerving experience the morning I checked out

At 4.45pm in the morning I was awoken by an unknown individual knocking on the doors on level 2.  This freaked me to out.  The knocking went on for 5 min before the individual started trying to open doors including mine.  Had my door been knocked on again I was ready with my mobile to phone the police. It took me an hour after the incident to fall back to sleep because I was scared!!!

I understand some people on the same floor were spoken to the following morning.  However not all residents as no one came to console or question me.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed October 6, 2013

Rates as probably the worst accommodation I have stayed in - backpackers is better! Old and dated. Carpet was dirty. Vent in bathroom was filthy. Bathroom was so small that I had to climb over the toilet to get into the shower. Put the hot water on, then go and make yourself a cup of coffee. By the time you get back it might be warm - but not always! Walls are paper thin allowing you to join in all conversations with your neighbour! One night was freezing cold but windows will not shut properly! Bed was clean (that I could see) but base was old and knackered so that when you sat on the bed both ends of the mattress came up to meet you! Going to the Osteopath today to fix my back! TV is the smallest screen I have seen - I have a bigger screen on my computer! Breakfast was unimaginable. Continental but you get it yourself. One morning I went in and what looked like the street stragglers were all asleep on the settees! Another morning I found all last nights dirty beer glasses, empty bottles and a platter of sandwiches nicely turning up at the edges! No water to make coffee. And then there was the food. I ordered scallops the first night - $29 but that's okay. What I got wasn't! It was a tasteless plate of mush! The second night I thought I was brave and ordered prawns - again about $29 and pretty much the same as the first night! If you like French fries, then they are okay! On the third night we gave up and went to a delightful seafood restaurant (Fish Frenzy I think it was called) and the food was divine and cost a third of what we got in the hotel! The best one though had to be when my partner ordered the Roast of the day and asked what it was. She was told that it was leftover roast beef from the night before - it looked like it too! Frankly I would not have stayed in her room - it was like a prison cell and stunk! Room 9. Mine was marginally better - Room 11. So all in all, not a pleasant weekend!

Room Tip: Go somewhere else!
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Lesley255118
Reviewed April 21, 2013

My mate and I stayed here for one night and as such we were looking for budget accomodation. This Motel met our requirements with a very basic - but clean - room. The weather was cool so the wall strip heater was sufficient but I have doubts about how it would be on a hot night with no cooling. The TV provided was the smallet than my computer moniter but did the job.If you stay here ask for a front room as being on a hillside there is quite a nice view over the city and harbour from the front.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends
3  Thank CGT867
Reviewed March 10, 2013

Stayed here for a sporting event over the long weekend. We had two large rooms that were clean. The decor is a bit dated and the corridors had a musty smell (no smell in rooms), but as the rooms were clean it didn't worry us. Were woken up at 3:30am Saturday morning and 5:30am Sunday morning as the train went through the city. The meals were very good and excellent value, $12 for a main! Will definitely stay again.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed August 28, 2012

Clean no frills all facilities room. Plenty of space. Seriously good meals. Plenty to do in town. hotel is close to everything. Excellent service. will stay again for sure. Decor is obviously not a priority. But really who wants to spend time in yet another stereotype hotel room with the same old same old. it was a real trip back in time. to the real backblocks australia fifties - not the romanticised movie fifties.

well actually in the fiftie in burnie they probably didn't have television. They do now!

Room Tip: Dont expect decor - it's a real trip back to the fifties.
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with friends