“Don't stay here if you want to sleep past 4.15am!!”

Beachfront Voyager Motor Inn
Ranked #3 of 6 Hotels in Burnie
Reviewed January 7, 2011

Trains shunt early in the morning across the road from the hotel and not just for 5 minutes - it lasted on and off for over an hour and was very very loud. On a positive note, rooms are clean, neat and tidy and the staff are very friendly and helpful. Even so, I only give it 2 1/2 stars even if I could sleep. Such a shame that Burnie Council allows the railways to make loud noise at 4.15am when it is natural for people to sleep. I understand complaints fall on deaf ears so I guess they value the raiilways more than tourism. All I am taking from Burnie is the memory of a terrible night's sleep. Definately recommend you drive through and on to Launceston......

Stayed: January 2011

Reviewed September 16, 2010

I've stayed here a couple of times over the years, but my recent stay will be the last time. Burnie is lacking in quality accommodation, and there isn't much to choose from in any event. This motel is always busy and was booked out on both nights I was there. But I daresay this is because there is a lack of accommodation, not because it is a good place to stay.
It would be passable for a quick stay, but for the trains directly across the road. The locomotive starts up at 4.20am and then continuously shunts back and forth from the loading docks just up the road loading containers from the wharf. It is noisy, and sleep is near impossible. This continues til early monring when they stop and you need to get out of bed to get ready for the day. It is not restful - not at all. And it doens't matter where you stay in the motel, the trains will come and haunt you at 4.20om in the morning! Avoid if possible.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled on business
Reviewed September 14, 2010

We stayed in an ocean view room and had a good time. The accommodation is esentially motel style, but very clean and had a modern bathroom which was nice. We really appreciated having a balcony to sit outside on and view the ocean. It's located right opposite a port train which makes trips quite early in the morning and late at night and is quite loud, so if this concerns you i would stay elsewhere. I actually quite liked the train, it had character. For us, it was handy to see the penguins, browse the shops, right on the water and the reception staff were friendly.

• Stayed: March 2010
Reviewed May 9, 2010

We stayed here last year and wrote a positive review even though there were road works outside. On that occasion we found the hotel to be good value. How things have changed in 12 months.

We stayed here for one night on our recent travels and my perception of the hotel has changed from a positive to a negative. I initially booked an ocean view room and was given a room overlooking the car park. Not a good start considering I booked the room two months earlier and requested an ocean view room. I quickly ran down to reception and changed rooms and luckily got the last ocean view room. Back on track.......temporarily.

We later had a meal in the Raindrops restaurant. The food itself was a mish mash of seafood and salad which was a tasteless and expensive affair. We should have gone to the pub across the road but didn't, much to our loss. We retired to our room for the night given the poor state of the weather which was a mix of heavy sideways rain and strong winds. I went to bed thinking I was going to have a nice relaxed sleep but the strong winds made it hard to get to sleep because of a constant banging of tin somewhere outside our room. I finally managed to get to sleep only to be woken at 4.30 am by a freight train right outside our room. The stupid thing was shunting back and forward from the nearby dockyard and the loud diesel locomotive was enough for me to rate this hotel in a negative manner. The train had been going most of the night until the early hours of the morning.

The only positive was the bathroom which had been upgraded since our stay in 2009. Burnie is a nice city which is making some headway in establishing itself as a modern city and trying to shed it's industrial past. I would not recommend the Beachfront Voyager unless you check the freight train timetable and stay when they're not running if that's possible. Save yourself some grief and look elsewhere for accommodation. The ocean view rooms offer as the name suggests, an ocean view providing the sun is shining but that's about it. The rooms are a bit pricey given the 3 star rating.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank 001525
Reviewed January 15, 2010

We stayed here in January because of the description ie executive class, 4 star etc. only to find no air conditioning. When we asked about the air con we we told that there was no air con just open the room door and let the breeze in. This may have been Tasmania but it is also summer in Australia.
We were told by their receptionist that a 4 star hotel isn't required to have air con. The staff were very abrupt and not very accommodating. Food was in general over priced.
Would we stay here again - no. Would we recommend this hotel - no.
The room was also in need of repair several lights didn't work, the bathroom door didn't close properly - you also had to get off the toilet to get the toilet paper.

• Stayed: January 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 30, 2009

We were recommended this property by friends of ours and found it be one of the best located proerties we stayed at around Tas. Thank you to the friendly staff at the Beachfront Voyager.

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled on business
Reviewed August 1, 2009

We stayed at this establishment on 18/7/09. We had selected the motel because it was supposedly 4 star and the best available in Burnie. We were totally disappointed in our stay, both with the quality of the room and in the service provided by the staff.
We decided to have an ocean view room so we could sit on the balcony. When we got to our room it was impossible to open the door to the balcony. When I tried to call the front desk the phone was dead, no dial tone at all. We walked down and spoke to the lady on the front desk. She reset the phone from the front desk and then came to our room. She said the doors stick and suggested as I was taller I could push higher up to open it!!!! We eventually managed to open it. When we left to go out I shut the door and skinned my knuckles on the door frame. There is no room for your hand to close the door. When we returned and tried to open the door it was jammed shut again so we never really got to use the balcony!
That evening we decided to have room service. I went to use the phone and it was not working again. I had to use my cell phone to call the hotel and ask the front desk to order our meal for us. At this time I asked how long it would be and was told 20 to 30 minutes as they were busy. I said that would be alright. It took an hour for our meal, toasted sandwiches, to arrive.
The bed linen in your hotel is the equivalent of that found in a 2 or 3 star hotel, worn out and old fashioned. The TV was not tuned in properly and 4 of the stations jumped so badly you could not watch them.
When we went to check out at about 9:15 am there was no one at the front desk and we had to walk into the restaurant to find someone to help us. Since then I have written to the hotel expressing my concerns with our stay and have not received a reply nearly 2 weeks later. As far as we are concerned this motel is definitely not deserving of being rated 4 star and when I enquired to the AAA I was told their rating had been downgraded to 3.5 stars earlier in the year so add false advertising to the list of their faults!!

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Burnie
Ikon Hotel
Wellers Inn
#4 of 6 in Burnie
Best Western Murchison Lodge Motor Inn
Burnie Ocean View Motel and Holiday Caravan Park

Been to Beachfront Voyager Motor Inn? Share your experiences!