“Great apartments in a fabulous setting!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Falls Mountain Retreat Blue Mountains

and 1 more site!
Falls Mountain Retreat Blue Mountains
“Great apartments in a fabulous setting!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 25, 2012

This was our second stay at this resort, and we were not disappointed, it was still immaculately clean and well presented and the staff are very friendly and helpful. I would not hesitate to stay here again nor to recommend it to my friends, great apartments in a lovely setting and close enough to everything, yet away from the usual touristy hustle & bustle. Lovely place to stay.

• Stayed July 2012
1 Thank Gautj

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (37)
Sydney
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 10, 2012

We stayed at Falls Mountain Retreat for 3 nights during the recent school holidays (husband, myself, one teenager). The apartments are very modern with a full kitchen, huge bathroom with 2 person spa bath, air conditioning, 2 x flat screen tvs, washer and dryer, dishwasher and gas log fire. We had one king bed plus a comfortable sofa bed in the lounge room.

The apartments are in a quiet area very close to the falls and edge of the national park, only 5-10 minute drive to Katoomba and Leura. There are also some good eating options at Wentworth Falls only a few minutes drive from the apartments.

Only issue was that we could not work out how to turn the gas log fire off..although being the middle of winter it wasn't really a problem to leave it on all day.

All in all a very nice base from which to explore the Blue Mountains.

Room Tip: ground floor apartments have their own private courtyards which would be nice in warmer weather
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Canberra, Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 9, 2012

Without doubt if you are looking for a modern place to stay & super close to the Wentworth falls hikes this is for you. We stayed in the loft apartment looking out onto the courtyard & trees. The gas fire was lovely & added to the romance of our weekend. Some not so good points, the 'king bed' is actually 2 singles pushed together. I made this distinction to the host. He came to look at the room & saw for himself housekeeping had not put the 'topper' on & the beds looked disheveled. I wouldn't want to be in the floor unit though. It looks very dark & there would be limited privacy if there were people sitting on the balcony above. Also, the massive book of rules was a turn off & a bit steep to charge $50 if you don't wash up your tea cup when the room cost $350 per night. Also, water got everywhere with the big spa shower & the towels are cheap & tiny.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Louise A
Wollongong, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 7, 2012

We stayed in a loft apartment for three nights. The room was beautiful, very clean, cosy and comfortable. I loved the fireplace and high ceiling. The staff were very friendly and helpful, and mapped out a great bush walk for us. The property is in a perfect location for access to tracks to Wentworth Falls, The Charles Darwin Walk and then the National Pass. If you like peace and quiet on your vacation, this is the place to be. I would stay here again without hesitation.

Room Tip: A room with high ceilings is a must.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank meiow
Sydney, Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 14, 2012

We stayed in a loft apartment for a long weekend escape from the city. The apartment was very clean, well-appointed, airy, and quiet. The ceilings are high with white- painted beams to give that "loft" feel and the windows face to the courtyard at one end and towards a pretty woodsy area at the back. The carpet is cream-coloured and there is a lounge area, small kitchenette, and dining area at one end of the room, with the bed at the opposite end. The decor is simple but of good quality, with some nice touches that echo the art deco past of the Mountains.

The gas fire was going on arrival which was welcome on a cold afternoon. We used the fire a lot, as it was very efficient and added a lovely aspect to the room. There is also an air-conditioning unit that will heat the apartment quickly if required, and electric blankets on the bed for an extra- toasty bedtime.

The bathroom was functional and clean, with a deep spa-bath that has a shower head over it. It is fortunate that our neighbours did not overuse their spa, as it was very noisy, and we were careful not to do so either. A warning on the bath, though: it had very steep steps to access it, and a very high rim. If you have any mobility issues, this bath would be quite dangerous.

The only thing that really spoiled our stay was the bed. The bed is REALLY firm. Actually, the word is HARD. I am not sure about this current trend in hotels for extra firm mattresses. Perhaps it is function of durability and pleasing most of the guests most of the time, but there is a point where it becomes very uncomfortable. I really don't mind a firm bed, but we both ended up with significant neck and back issues after three nights. This is why, personally, I have given three stars in this review, and probably wouldn't go back. Perhaps there are different beds in other rooms, and I know everyone has their own preferences, but this was our experience.

There is one other slightly sour note that I must also mention. In the small kitchen, there is a very stern note admonishing guests that they must clean up the kitchen completely; i.e. wash. dry and put away everything used. The note states that the management will "clean it for you" if you leave it, at a cost of $50! As there was no washing-up liquid provided, and no one in reception to give me any, I did the best I could. I would have thought that for the price of this accommodation, a clean of the kitchen would be included, and also much more hygienic... I'm not sure I want to rely upon the cleaning skills of the previous (similarly annoyed) occupant!

Apart from these quibbles, overall this was a quiet, warm, clean, well appointed apartment in a nice spot.

Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank moonwolf242
Melbourne, Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 6, 2012

On first appearances everything looked great including the rules about quiet after 9pm. We were after an escape from the noise of others and the entrance looked perfect. Unfortunately the incredibly selfish neighbours spent all night using the really, really noisy spa bath in the next room until after midnight. So much for rules as there was noone in reception to enforce them and my request for quiet was completely ignored.

We had a one bedroom unit on the ground floor that also looked good on first appearance. However, we had to move the couch as we couldn't see the 5 digital channels and it was really dirty underneath. One of the towels also included someone else's makeup.

My opinion is that this "retreat" is overpriced for nothing special.

Room Tip: No idea but the 1 bedroom ground floor unit was noisy on three sides.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Langwarrin, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 18, 2012

I stayed at the Falls Mountain Retreat with my fiance as part of our roadtrip holiday. I picked up the accomodation courtesy of a WOTIF flaming deal. Upon arrival we were welcomed by Tanya, who with her partner helps operate the property. Tanya took the time to explain anything we required and made us feel welcome.

The open fire was on when we entered our apartment for the first time. Very inviting and warm welcome to the apartment. I turned the TV on to scope out the channels available, but a few were experiencing digital interference. I advised reception and we went out for a couple of hours. When we got back all channels were working fine. I note that the region had experienced strong winds and most likely the antenna had come loose. Easy fix.

My fiance, in her wisdom, made me walk several kilometres up and down hundreds of steps both of the days we were there. The spa was a welcome addition and a good soak in the tub helped alleviate my sore legs. Decent sized spa, and my fiance and I both comfortably fit inside.

Spoke to Reception and was given two recommendations for dinner, followed up on both of them and was not disappointed. Seven restaurant and the chinese restaurant, both a very short drive to Wentworth falls. Try them, they were both excellent!

Overall, very happy with the stay. Could not really fault the apartment, Loft apartment high ceiling was great. I note from previous reviews that some people weren't happy with the lengthy compendium in the room, but hey, some people are morons and can't operate certain appliances hence the detailed instructions. I would rather details than having nothing to read at all and trying to figure out how to operate something.

My only 2 gripes are that the price per night could have been a little cheaper especially for a flaming deal, and no foxtel!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! All hotels, resorts, retreats etc should operate a few channels for those cold nights in bed watching TV.

I would recommend this place at the drop of a pin, oh yeah, the quiet location was superb.

Room Tip: Good for couples, romantic getaways, and people who like to stay in a touch of class.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Parklands Country Gardens and Lodges
Echoes Boutique Hotel & Restaurant
Fairmont Resort Blue Mountains - MGallery Collection
Lilianfels Blue Mountains Resort & Spa

Been to Falls Mountain Retreat Blue Mountains? Share your experiences!