“OK food, great location”
Review of Conservation Hut

Conservation Hut
Cuisines: Australian
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed August 20, 2012

The food here is not bad but the view and location are stunning and it's a great place to head off from for walks or finish up a walk with a hot chocolate. Rug up if you plan to sit outside!

Reviewed August 11, 2012

Great location. We've been twice. The first time it was a godsend! After a 2.5 hour hike we found a little heaven with an amazing view and delicious food to revive us. The second time, the fair was just as delicious, but our particular server didn't seem too interested in her job. She was polite and helpful, but disconnected and almost irritated to be there. Might have just been an off day for her. Overall, great place to go!

Reviewed July 28, 2012 via mobile

It is ok.
Good coffee.
Great sandwiches.
Average service.
Wasted layout.
Massive fireplace in the way of the view.
Chairs in front of the cake counter so you can't see what's on offer.
Way too many counters and not enough chairs and tables.
It has so much potential and could be so much better.
Overall , we have been twice and each time we left feeling disappointed :(
Boooo

Reviewed July 24, 2012

I never leave reviews, but I registered with Tripadvisor just for the sake of leaving a review for this very subpar cafe. I cannot for the life of me, understand why this place usually receives such good reviews.

I walked into the Conservation Hut on a weekday morning with my mother and my toddler. We stood at the "please wait to be seated" sign, where an (Irish or Scottish?) blonde waitress was already in attendance (sorting out menus or something like that). She didn't even lift her head or make eye contact when she asked "how many?". I said "2 adults and a baby.. do you have high chairs here?". She said "I'll get one.. how many people?" . I repeated myself again, even though it was plainly obvious there were only 2 adults and a toddler standing before her. All this was virtually grunted at us, without really looking at us, no hello or any niceness.

She walked over to a table in a corner (without asking us where we'd like to be seated, even though about 70% of the cafe, both indoors and outdoors, was empty). I said "excuse me..".. no response. I asked louder "is there a spot outside in the sun?". She didn't answer, again I don't think she even looked at us, she just turned on her heel and led us to a table outside.. in the shade!

We sat down and after she had walked away, we both commented on how she needed a "personality transplant" and we moved the table, chairs and high chair into the sunshine. The "high chair" we were given was actually a portable booster seat which was missing the tabletop part that is what actually stops the child from tipping themselves out of the chair.... not very helpful!

Another (more civil) waitress brought us our menus and took our order, after much deliberation from us, because we couldn't believe how expensive their food was for such basic (and boring) items. Mains (for lunch) were $25-$30 each; just soup was $15 alone. These prices were dearer than normal cafes, and this "hut" wasn't fancy by any means.. it had a cafeteria vibe to it and was the "hut" is clearly an old (1970's to early 1980's) government information kiosk.

We ordered a toasted sandwich and a cappucino each, along with a plate of wedges for my toddler to pick at. The cappucinos ($3.80) arrived in tiny cups - like demitasse size; and our "toasted" sandwiches were in fact burnt.

I had to use the bathroom during our visit and I found that there toilets are just outside of the cafe area's doors and are basically a public toilet for all of the hikers and joggers that pass through the lookout/boardwalk area. They stank, everything (down the the cement floor) was worn out.. it was just horrible. I would avoid those toilets at all costs - they are like the worst public toilets. Even after washing your hands, you feel dirtier upon leaving than you did when you walked in.

Our bill for 2 coffees, 2 toasted sandwiches and a plate of wedges came to $40. Neither my mother nor myself will ever return to the Conservation Hut. The food is extremely average, extremely overpriced, the toilets are revolting and the service is the rudest I have ever experienced ANYWHERE. This cafe blatantly rips people off simply because it is a tourist landmark (with niceish views but nothing great). Quite frankly it is clear that they dont care what their customers think, because realistically (as day trip tourists), they are never coming back anyway.

2  Thank Melinda S
Reviewed July 7, 2012

We visited the Conservation Hut after a long bush walk. The food was amazing and just what we needed to treat ourselves! The view is fantastic! Ask for a table near the fireplace.