“Neat and Clean, and very friendly service.”
Review of Settlers Motor Inn

Settlers Motor Inn
Ranked #7 of 8 Hotels in Tenterfield
Reviewed April 23, 2013

This is the first review I have ever written - that is how pleasant my experience with Settlers Motor Inn was! My wife and I were staying the night before photographing a wedding and our experience was excellent. Not the most modern of places, but neat and clean, and friendly service. We were pleasantly surprised to have our bug infested windscreen cleaned sometime in the morning before we woke. Thanks Keith!

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
Keith B, Owner at Settlers Motor Inn, responded to this reviewResponded July 16, 2014

Thank you so much for your review, and we are so pleased you enjoyed your stay with us. We look forward to seeing you again soon. Kindest regards Keith and Lee.

Reviewed February 4, 2013

On a recent trip to Tenterfield for business we chose the Settlers Inn Motor Inn, good value comfortable room. Walking distance for good dining options. A very peasant surprise in the morning our windscreen had even cleaned. Wow never have we had we had that before. Would certainly stay again. Fabulous area rich in history. Good value hand location.

Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
3  Thank Susan S

Thank you so much for taking the time to write a review of your stay with us. We look forward to serving you again and value your custom. Kindest regards Keith and Lee.

Reviewed January 23, 2013 via mobile

Called into this little gem after driving from Qld. We hadn't booked a room, just stopped by when we saw they had vacancies. The gentleman that greeted us was lovely. Offered us a queen or king room room. Spoke to my husband about an upcoming fishing comp & have suggestions on where to grab some dinner. The motel also provides room service.

The room was large and clean with parking at the front door. Although the motel is on the highway and we where in a room on the highway side we hardly noticed any traffic noise.

We checked out early a little after 7am and were wished a safe trip. We also noticed a slip of paper under our windscreen wipers advising our windscreen had been washed. Such a nice touch!!

Would happily recommend this motel for a one nighter or longer.

• Stayed: January 2013
1  Thank Aims79

Thank you so much for this review. We look forward to seeing you again soon. Kindest regards Keith and Lee

Reviewed January 18, 2013

The Settlers Motor Inn is located close to the small town centre of Tenterfield and on the main highway. The rooms are fresh and well furnished and noticeably very clean. From this aspect they are appropriately priced for the style and location. It was also a really nice touch to pack the car in the morning and find that the windscreen of the car had been washed. There is no doubt that the owner is on the right track with trying to enhance customer service.

However, there were two aspects which let this property down for us:

There seems to be a well reported issue with Internet which is very weak. Overall in Tentfield the signal seems at best, hit and miss. At Settler's it would appear to be a little more complex, (after a little experimentation I discovered where the issue seems to rest as the service signal appeared strong - it would appear to be a possible router issue). Once you found a good spot on the property to connect to the router - (the pool area) then all was fine. As you can't stay at the pool all night and the signal drops out within the rooms this was a frustration and substantiated the previous reviewers comments.

Our second concern relates to checking-in. When we arrived at the property we noticed that upon the street signage was emblazoned Fish (ixthus) symbols. As a same sex couple we were immediately cautious about how we would be greeted. We had already booked and paid for the room online so our option at this stage were limited. My concerns were not allayed at check-in. When my partner and I entered reception and introduced ourselves, I was asked if the room was for my wife and I! Despite my partner being beside me! After a pause and a look at my partner, I replied, "no my husband and I". There was no apology just a bumbling reply about the receipt and directions to the room. It made for good conversation over dinner at the local Chinese but I would certainly be rethinking where I spend my money if this comment was as interpreted.

As we didn't eat at the hotel we were unable to make comment on the food service as did other reviewers. However, we note on the proprietor's business card that he self rates the motel as "luxury units" - they are standard motel rooms. We procured the more expensive of the options available online and would not rate it "luxury". It is a 3.5 star property rated appropriately.

Other reviewers seem to have raised some real and valid issues which we found to be accurate and worthy of consideration when considering accommodation options in Tenterfield.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank RicknSimon

Thank you for writing a review for our motel. We are so glad that you enjoyed your stay with us and hope to see you again soon.

To address your concerns.

We do have the best WiFi available in Tenterfield and are upgrading as each upgrade becomes available. We have had a specialist test the Wifi recently in all of our rooms, he said the signal is good in every room.

We do not have any issue with your choice of partner, and we are so sorry that you thought otherwise. We were only asking that question to all couples, to ascertain whether they want one bed or two in the room. We have changed the question now to gain the needed information, to avoid any future misunderstanding.

Our sign? We like the fishy sign but it doesn't mean anything offensive, nor have any offensive connotation intended.

Please accept our apology, for any misunderstanding, and when you come again we would like to offer you a nice surprise. Just mention this review and my response when booking to get your surprise, then you will need to show your I.D. on check in.
(Trust me you will be thrilled).

We hope to see you again soon. Kindest regards Keith and Lee.

Reviewed January 13, 2013

Recently myself a 5 Biker buddies were on a road trip and without reservation,Keith made us very welcome.We are over 50's and not rowdy,however many moteliers would turn their nose up at our Loud Harleys & Tattoos....but not Keith.His wealth of local knowledge is Fantastic.
Breakfast was good and lovely to see Keith out early,cleaning the Windscreens of his guests cars.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with friends

Thank you so much for the great review. We are happy to serve you and look forward to seeing you again soon.
Kindest regards
Keith and Lee

Reviewed January 7, 2013

I turned up well past midnight, exhausted from my drive from Melbourne to Queensland for the Christmas holidays. I'd been looking for an open hotel for hours along the highway to no available. Pulled in at Settlers and rang the nightbell - manager came down to let me in, no worries, and turned the lights on to ensure I could see when going into the room.

Room had standard fittings but it was the little touches that made me enjoy it and want to recommend it to others looking for a nightstop. Little bowl of lollies on the table; homemade curtains in the bathroom; cold jug of water in the fridge. To top it off, when I awoke the next morning to continue with my drive, there was a sign on my windshield saying they had washed my windscreen for me! This was a really lovely gesture -> very indicative of the way they try to go above and beyond for guests. Thanks for the hospitality!

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled solo

Thank you so much for this review, we appreciate your help in letting others know how it is to stay here. We look forward to seeing you again soon.
Kindest regards
Keith and Lee

Reviewed November 9, 2012

I traveled to Tenterfield on business and I was with a group of 5. The hotel is situated at the southern tip of entry into Tenterfield and entry just off the main road.
Reception / check-in went well but the managers seemed nervous and unsure of themselves - I understand they were stand-ins.
The motel has an acceptable "motel layout".
My room was definitely harking back to the 70's. It was clean and respectfully maintained but for business travel the room was cluttered and had things in oddish positions.
Some light switches were hard to find. Some power points didn't work which resulted in silent screams when I tried to get the TV going (why would you connect a TV to a power point that didn't work?). The TV remote had to be pointed at a very specific angle to work properly - this always annoys the hell out of me.
Given that the hotel was of 70's vintage, access to power points was a challenge for business use. I never rely on wifi, as I travel with Wireless 3G - so I cannot comment on whether the wifi worked (see previous reviews).
This hotel has potential, no doubt - but whether the owners are interested in "reno's and upgrades" - I have no idea until then, this perfectly respectable hotel is not really comfortable for business travel.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
2  Thank Michael J
Calignee, Owner at Settlers Motor Inn, responded to this reviewResponded November 27, 2012

I was away for a break and my new relief managers were working at this time.
ALL THE POWER POINTS WORK IN ALL THE ROOMS.
Guests are told there is a swithch by the bed for the TV and airconditioner.
Even if my relief managers forgot to tell them there is a substanstial sign
that says TV above the switch.
The TVS are BRAND NEW FLAT SCREEN DIGITAL 82CM TVS,
we dont manufacture them so we dont have any input about how aor what angle remotes need to be used at.
2 power points are located just above the benchtop at very convenient position for use with laptop or toatser or electric jug.
I would be quite happy to hear from the gentleman in question about his stay here
Regards