“Misleading Advertising”

Ranked #5 of 8 Hotels in Tenterfield
Murwillumbah, New South Wales, Australia
“Misleading Advertising”
Reviewed June 5, 2012

Settlers inn advertise on their web site: "Guest facilities include - free wireless broadband", well no it doesn't. We checked in and asked for the WEP code & were told that there was no Wi-Fi. My phone picked up a locked Wi-Fi called Settlers. Also; we had booked the room a few days before said that we'd arrive about 8 - 9 pm. We arrived & the windows of our room were wide open - it was 7C inside our room. It wasn't a warm welcome.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Calignee, Owner at Settlers Motor Inn, responded to this review, November 27, 2012
I do provide FREE WIRELESS INTERNET for my guests to use with their own laptops and devices, the advertising on all my websites states this and so does onsite signage.
I pay for unlimited downlaod, i have the highest speed internet yet available in Tenterfield.
What possible reason could there be to deny access to guests, maybe the guest misunderstood what was said or the manager misunderstood what was asked.
I REPEAT MY WIRELESS INTERNET IS FREE FOR ALL MY GUESTS TO USE ON THEIR OWN DEVICES
I would also like to say that in the past 4+ years i have owned and managed this motel i have had guests use more than 13000 room nights so new guests thinking of staying here should also consider this as compared to the few that were not happy.
Regards
Keith

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
Brisbane
Reviewed April 27, 2012

We booked a single night at the motel on a last minute rates website as we were driving home from Hunter Valley.

The motel is easy to find, with the entrance just off the main road but that being said was quiet in our room. The motel was very clean and the room spotless. The bed and sheets were quality.
The price was very reasonable for a last minute room. The bathroom was immaculately clean, the water pressure was good, and the water was hot. Check took all of about 30 seconds and the owner was lovely. He offered a buy one, get one free on the breakfast, which we did not take advantage of. When I went out in the morning to pack up our car, the owner was out there washing our car windows. So very much appreciated & this shows the level of service they offer. Would not hesitate to stay here again, thanks very much for a lovely stay!

This would not affect my decision to stay at the motel again. When in Tenterfield, if the prices remain so competitive, I will return to this motel.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank mml8844
Keith B, Owner at Settlers Motor Inn, responded to this review, July 16, 2014
Thank you for writing your great review. We look forward to seeing you again soon. Kindest regards
Kingscliff, Australia
Reviewed April 2, 2012

We would never stay at this motel again. Nor would we recommend it to anyone. The owner was very unhelpful, unfriendly, uncooperative and unaccommodating.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Paul H
It is very hard to respond to a revue like this
I can count on one hand the number of guests who have complained about anything in my motel in the nearly 5 years I have been running this motel.
I always strive to be helpful, friendly, accommodating and hospitable, I have no idea what this guest found missing in order to post such a TOTALLY NEGATIVE REVUE, against either myself or my relief managers.
I have a folder full of notes and postcards and letters and emails praising me and my staff for our efforts to look after them, including postcards sent from overseas after the guests arrived home
Regards
Keith
Canberra, Australia
Reviewed December 28, 2011

4 of us stayed at the Settlers Motor Inn. It took a while to book in and there was a mix up with my room...I was given the wrong key and had to change! (I was put into the family suite by mistake).The confusing thing about the place is that the parking bays are not directly outside the rooms with the result that when we first went to knock on the door of a person in our group we ended up disturbing another fellow! The rooms are not large but they are clean and the bed I was in was comfortable. Because the car park bays are directly in from of the rooms it can be fairly noisy depending on who your neighbours are. There is no breakfast room but you can order breakfast that is brought to the room. It is an easy walk down to the main street, so the location is good. There are 4 or 5 motels in close proximity.

Room Tip: There is a 2 room suite that would be handy for families with young children (a double and a single...
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
2 Thank MartinCanberra
Keith B, Owner at Settlers Motor Inn, responded to this review, July 16, 2014
Thank you for your time to write a review of your stay with us. We are so glad that you enjoyed some aspects of your time here.

We are terrible sorry that you found the check in process and/or the car parking a bit confusing. The car park allocations have to be done like that to fit every guest's vehicles under cover when the motel is full. Most of our guests prefer to have their car under cover, however, if we are not full, and you indicate to us that you want your car in front of your room rather than next to your room, we will endeavor to accommodate your needs.

Sorry you were given the family room key by mistake. They are lovely huge rooms to accommodate a family, however would have been too big for you. I'm glad it was sorted for you.

We look forward to seeing you again soon.
Kindest regards Keith and Lee.
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed November 19, 2011

The Settlers is in a great location - easy walk to the town for a meal or supermarket. Check in was quick and easy, pleasant service, comfortable beds, spotlessly clean, nice hot water, quiet and easy to find. Good value for money. We stayed in a twin room with a queen & single bed towards the rear of the property. We ate downtown at The Bluebell Cafe where we also had very friendly service and a nice meal for a very reasonable price. A very nice touch to find the car windscreen had been cleaned for us courtesy of the management. We are very happy to recommend this motel for a stay in Tenterfield.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Lottsa
Keith B, Owner at Settlers Motor Inn, responded to this review, July 16, 2014
Thank you so much for writing a review of your stay with us. We appreciate the opportunity to serve you and look forward to seeing you again soon.
Kindest regards
Keith and Lee.
Newcastle, Australia
Reviewed September 24, 2011

I recently stayed overnight at the Settlers, immaculate presentation, extremely comfortable bed and everything and more you need for a overnight or short term stay. Top location with a short walk to centre of town where you can pick a gourmet pizza ( absolutely delicious) and a bottle of Tenterfield shiraz ( a delightful drop) at the local licquor store on the way back next to Bi Lo.Breakfast arrived exactly on time and owner Keith provides a very pleasant and never experienced before treat which starts your day in a positive manner. Highly recommend the motel when staying in the wonderful town of Tenterfield. keep up the great work Keith

• Stayed August 2011, traveled solo
1 Thank PicklesNewcastle
Keith B, Owner at Settlers Motor Inn, responded to this review, July 16, 2014
Thank you so much for the great review, we look forward to seeing you again soon.
Kindest regards.
Australia
Reviewed January 25, 2008

I booked a single night at the motel on a last minute rates website.

The motel is easy to find, with the entrance on a side street just off the main road (the hotel itself is on the main road, but faces away from the road - I experienced no noise from the road from inside my room).

The motel was very clean (cleaner than others I've stayed in). The bed and sheets were of high quality.

I also found the price to be very reasonable (last minute room rates for a King Size Bed!).
The bathroom was clean, the water pressure was good, and the water was hot.
Check in was very quick and smooth on arrival.

My only advice would be to make sure that you park in the correct car park. Each car park has a painted number to correspond to your room number. When we arrived, someone else was parked in our car park, so reception instructed us to park in their park. This was fine until the next morning when the other person left well before us. The cleaners obviously look at the cars to determine whether people have left already; as the car park for our unit was empty, we had some early morning knocks on the door and someone tried to get in. There were sufficient locks on the door that no one got in; we called out to say we were there and no problems.

• Liked — Value for Money and Cleanliness
  • Disliked — Not super fancy, but great for what you pay.
  • Stayed January 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
3 Thank Earth
Keith B, Owner at Settlers Motor Inn, responded to this review, July 16, 2014
Thank you for the review, our prices are the same, we look forward to seeing you again. Kindest regards