“Unique venue for corporate retreat”

Mount Victoria Manor
Sydney, Australia
“Unique venue for corporate retreat”
Reviewed February 10, 2013

I organized a 2 day retreat for a group of 30 software developers at BMMH. I was looking for something with an interesting atmosphere – different from the usual sterile corporate function venue. I was in the Blue Mountains for holidays so popped in to a few places to find something interesting and decided on BMMH. The retreat was fantastic and the venue had a lot to do with it. We booked out the whole hotel. We made use of all the common rooms as breakout rooms (eg we had an “unconference” where we set up different topics in different rooms – the pool room, the courtyard, etc - and people could wander from room to room to join different topics). We had programming activities which really pushed the wireless network. We played paintball at a paintball venue 10 mins drive away. Everything ran very smoothly thanks to Annette, Colin and team who could not have done better in supporting us. The feedback from the developers was very positive – on the venue, the food, the bedrooms and the BMMH staff. In fact, I spoke to everyone and didn’t hear one complaint about anything. We plan to come back again next year.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
3 Thank Bill S

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
Alstonville
Reviewed October 12, 2012

I love this friendly hotel. I have been staying here since I was about 7years old and every year I love going back. Besides the awesome customer service, friendly staff and wonderful local attractions, I love the fact that it snows! There are not many places where you can have the spacious but cosy, warm room that when you wake up, overlooks a winter wonderland. I 100% recommend this place to anyone who wants to stay in a home away from home that looks like Downton Abby!!!

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank H0lly_17
Reviewed July 9, 2012

Every year we indulge the family with a winter retreat from the city to the mountains to reunite the children with their rural heritage and day trips to the caves. And every year the children ask if we can stay at the beautiful grand old house in Mt Victoria, which they tend to talk about extensively more than any of the other mountain experiences. We have chosen to stay numerous times at the Manor House and will continue to do so. We don't want an impersonal expensive resort found in neighbouring towns and we don't want the alternate backpackers-styled accommodation offered in this town, instead every year we are delighted with the grace and warmth of this guesthouse. Our rooms are large, airy and bright opening (yes, windows that open!) onto the historic old verandah and overlooking established trees, the beds are comfortable with doonas and electric blankets, the bathroom is modern, there is more than enough fresh linen to suit our family needs and the whole hotel is very well-heated - bliss! The house is lived-in, the furniture isn't matching, and the decor, thankfully, isn't beige or white - the house instead feels loved and steeped in history. I am not terrified of my children making noise as they dash around discovering more and more rooms or across to the park, but the house is so large with so many different lounge rooms that I don't even notice that there are other families and couples staying except when we would pass in the dining room. Breakfast is generous and friendly - seated in the formal dining room we are offered cereal, fruit, cooked breakfast to our requirements and endless cups of tea and coffee. The owners are helpful, chatty but not obtrusive. I think this guesthouse exists as a reminder of what accomodation was offered in the past to the genteel tourist to the Mountains and travellers out west but is sadly lost in modern sterile hotels and resorts. I love its graciousness, its warmth, its beautiful ageing facade, the quietness and the comfort. Plus, as a family, I also love its price! We will be back again next year. Thank you!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
4 Thank KatieVandine
Reviewed June 16, 2012

What a nightmare Terrible customer service Run down old mansion that smelt musty and had a spooky feel. Empty rooms everywhere Peak winter season only two guests for massive double story guesthouse Cold and old delapated furniture Needs more than a face lift. I've been harsh as a warning

• Stayed June 2012
10 Thank Murph92
Wollongong
Reviewed May 4, 2012

What a find! We felt like we had stepped into the 1920's. We needed a weekend out of town and an easy place to unwind. Our room was spacious and warm, had a large, comfy bed, fresh crisp linen and a delightful ensuite with large bath! Breakfast was very generous, unrushed with bottomless tea & coffee, with unobtrusive but delightful service. All staff were helpful with advice about how to spend our couple of days in the mountains, I always love getting local knowledge! We ate dinner while we were out, but spent a lovely evening of billiards, wine and conversation with fellow guests in the large, but cosy lounges. I've recommended this place to a few of my friends who wanted to stay somewhere with more soul than a resort-type hotel, without compromising the quality of the rooms or facilities. Just delightful!! We will definitely be back, perhaps for one of their special nights, they had just had a Titanic evening!

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Louise N
Reviewed March 31, 2012

My wife and I recently stayed at this run down,poorly managed guest house.
The management were rude and impersonal.
But the food (if thats the correct description) was a nightmare and by far the worst I,ve
ever eaten in my life.
I could not finish one course.
I highly recommend that you steer well clear of this highly disappointing facade of a guest house.
Oh and by the way I was quoted $180 a night but when we arrived that had increased to $225.
Need I say more.....

Room Tip: Dont go there.
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
7 Thank Echoman88
Edinburgh
Reviewed January 7, 2012

Rented the Orchard View, as we had friends from the UK with us. This is a roomy place and the facilities downstairs would be great for kids. The beds and linen etc were of a good standard, but expect an older building in need of an upgrade. I am afraid what got my goat was for the price we got a towel each for 4 of us and 2 hand towels. The main reason we upgraded to this room was for the 'Large wrap around verandah' Sadly it is in need of repair and the furniture was a disgrace, green plastic faded patio furniture and old metal frame table.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with friends
#2 of 2 in Mount Victoria
Black Gold Motel
Black Gold Motel
#1 of 2 in Wallerawang

Been to Mount Victoria Manor? Share your experiences!