“Victoria & Albert Guest House”

Victoria & Albert Guesthouse
Reviewed March 1, 2012

Haunted-Australia: We recently stayed at the Victoria and Albert Guest House and would like to say that it was a very enjoyable and lovely experience. The location is just fantastic, the guesthouse and its charm in amazing and the staff were absolutely fantastic. Everytime we needed advice or help they were always ready to assist in any way possible. The food was great and to be honest extremely filling! I would highly recommend the Victoria & Albert Guest House to any traveler seeking an alternative to the high end market accomodation within the Blue Mountains region. The site is central to al amentiies and tourist locations. We will certainly be returning. Thanks to everyone at the Victoria & Albert for the fantastic stay and help with our business and providing invaluable information to us.

Room Tip: there are different types of room for the budget conscious. If you are looking for a nice quiet plac...
  • Stayed: February 2012, traveled on business
3  Thank haunted-australia

Reviewed February 20, 2012

Only one night booked here, thank goodness. Indifferent welcome, very dated accommodation. Don't think owners cared less.
Partner was I'll during the night, just pointed to nearby hospital the following morning after 10 minutes of trying to raise somebody for help. Owner clearly couldn't give a damn.

• Stayed: January 2012
3  Thank Colin S
Reviewed November 20, 2011

Initially disappointed after arriving, the friendliness of the staff and the ambience of the guesthouse won us over to stay our second night. If you want the modern, clinical feel of the new motel/hotels, it is not for you.. If you want warmth, history and peacefulness - try it. It is old and worn - The ensuite room we had was basic but clean. No in-room facilities like TV's, internet connections... there are sitting areas with some facilities and Tv's but TV service is not good. If you want to go back in time..peace & quiet, to feel relaxed and laid back and talk and chat to your partner,enjoy their company and not hide behind 'electrical company' then this is for you... wander around it... imagine the gentry that used to visit it... the ladies in thier wonderful dresses.. it is living history if you let it in... it is old, worn, but magnificent and a real throwback to yesteryear that wraps its arms around you.... We will be staying there again.. and we are not oldies! We enjoyed it's ambience and peacefullness, and the absolute friendliness of its staff. Thank you for a relaxing, enjoyable and restul stay. (we are pleased we did not read this blog before booking, as we would not have booked) We both enjoyed our stay - we felt a part of the area and not just as visitors to it - to be able to live in a piece of history that welcomed you was worth it and we benefited from it by not having the normal frenzied day-to-day electronic controls of our life ruling us even for that short while. It was great! Thank You!

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Patricia G
Reviewed July 21, 2011

I was part of the previous reviewers Yulefest dinner and would have to agree the meal was barely edible. Reheated veges and dry dehydrated cuts of meat. The only saviour for the night was the bottle of red I bought from the Imperial up the road (apparently they are licensed but don't stock much in the way of wine}, the "live music" from the solo guitarist and family conversation. I agree it could be a lovely old building but is in DESPERATE need of renovation. Would not eat there again if you paid me. I can only imagine what it would be like to stay overnight and it does not surprise me about the other reviews and their descriptions of the accomodation. One positive was that the waitress seemed rather pleasant. She kept a smile on her face even though she knew what she was serving up. Go to the Lithgow Workers and get a steak instead. I had one of the best steaks I have ever had their recently.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family
3  Thank Hartelyvale
Reviewed July 19, 2011

I was forced at the last minute to find a Yulefest (Christmas in July) dinner in the same area as the original restaurant i booked cancelled on me as their chef was sick. As it was hard to find a reputable yule location with 48 hrs notice to seat 12 adults and 3 children, I thought I'd give The Victoria and Albert a go - against my better judgement after reading other bad reviews. I thought - how bad could someone stuff up a basic christmas meal? and, at $70 a head it cant be that bad? surely... Oh, how very wrong I was to go against my gut instinct. Now my gut is still recovering.

Arriving for 'canapes and mulled wine' we were shown into a room where another large group was placed around the fire on various sofas. We had to edge through a door that was blocked by a sofa and seat 2 sofas for 12 adults and 3 kids. We took some plastic chairs from around a table in the corner. We could get no where near the fire. The other group glared as us like we were invaders! Then the so called canapes on a tray near our seating appeared- pre frozen deep fried ?? We could not identify the contents, the pastry was different shapes but the food within was unknown. We had to ask for our glass of mulled wine, then when it did not come, one of the adults went to the kitchen to ask again. It arrived 15 mins later in tumblers, 2 at a time. It was again, unidentifiable as to its recipe, I think maybe cask red with a bit of cinnamon and heated in the microwave.

The other group decided they were hungry and came over to our seating area and proceeded to eat off the tray of 'canapes' to our shock, but they were welcome to the food as it was not edible. I prayed that dinner would be better as I'd arranged my whole family and 2 friends to come up from Sydney for this.

My prayers were not answered. ushered into the dining room, it was super hot with aircon on 26 degrees but no lit fire. Did not feel like we were in the Blue Mountains. The architecture had potential but the decor was 1980s pink and hideous. As was the food. The soup I think was cauliflower but it had so much butter in it I couldnt taste the main ingredient or finish the very shallow bowl - paste like.

Main meal was a meat slice trio. 3 slices of meat, 1, I think turkey, 1 pork? - assumed as it was pink and I did not touch it, and the 3rd I believe was a chunk of 'crackling' but looked like beef jerkey - only orange. The beans were shrivelled, the potato the only blessing to fill me up.

Dessert was an individual overcooked microwaved dry plum pudding covered in coagulated custard - made from powder. There was no taste of plum in the pudding. Kids got icecream - but even that was bad and they didnt eat it as it 'tasted funny'.

I felt most sorry for my sister who is part of a family of 5, that's 5x $70 = $350 for a meal that was barely eaten and only because we were hungry. It was below RSL standard and our money would have been better spent at The Lithgow Worker's Club where it is cheap, cheerful - and edible.

Ashamed I booked this and was responsible for a woeful night of non Yule cheer - the only blessing was my family around me and the couple of friends who were oh so polite about the whole thing.

Regretfully I did not think to take photos with my iphone to warn off others.

Do not eat here!

Room Tip: Did not stay in a room. But used the main dining/lounge facilities. Old, run down, couches blocking...
  • Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family
4  Thank GoHereEatHere
Reviewed June 5, 2011

Decaying and decayed grandeur is now also shabby and dusty - so are the staff.

The websites photos do not give a true indication of what is in store.

Old beds, old blankets and quilts - not a doona in sight. 1 pillow only each and 1 coat hanger.

The double room was dusty, contained the bed, a bedside table with lamp and that was it. Towels OK and plenty of hot water.

Dinner menu and quality very poor. No wine list available - the 1 waitress couldn't find it.

No Vodka for a vodka and orange; no Southern Comfort for a Southern Comforrt and coke.

We left midway through dinner and went to the Pub on the hill to receive decent food, service and to get away from the nightmare staff.

We didn't bother to stay for breakfast.

Needless to say we won't be returning. I wonder who does return?

A group were looking through the place to arrange a wedding - I hope they read these and other comments before they throw their money away.

Room Tip: Don't bother with this place.
  • Stayed: June 2011, traveled with family
3  Thank disgruntled91
Reviewed March 28, 2011

This place has some very serious shortcomings which are thankfully to a large extent mitigated by the incredibly helpful and attentive staff and the quality of the architectural interiors. The bedrooms although clean are very poorly fitted out and notwithstanding their historical context are not really up to standard. The building itself is superb with wonderful woodwork, art nouveau tiles in the hall and etched glass windows. The dining room is very pleasant with crisp linen table cloths, napkins and fresh flowers. There are several very nice common rooms to relax in after dinner. Overall has great potential but falls short for the price.

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled as a couple
#2 of 2 in Mount Victoria
No photo provided
Closeburn House
#1 of 2 in Mount Victoria

Been to Victoria & Albert Guesthouse? Share your experiences!