All reviewsthe dragonchinese restaurantcold poolnew buildinghealing watersgreat chinese foodspring wateron siteattached restaurantshade clothdrive thrupleasant staylong days drivesmall dogcomfortable roomstake awayartesian water
Reviewed October 30, 2010

I have stayed at this motel at various times over the last 6-8 years, and the main thing that brings me back is the exceptional freindliness and dedication of the owners and staff. Nothing is too much trouble, be it letting them know I will be late back and wanting a meal, or being dropped off to the airport.

This is an older development, and you won't find lawns and gardens. While the rooms are fairly basic, they are clean and provided with the usual amenities of TV, microwave, reverse cycle A/C etc. Linen is good, though the mattresses are getting close to the end of their life (mind you, I have had a lot worse!). Having a table and chairs in the room is great for setting up my computer, or if I am travelling with my wife, and we want a meal in the room, it makes it a lot easier. Despite the highway location (the bypass is opening soon though) I have not found traffic noise an issue. Parking tends to the informal, without dedicated spaces, but I have found it pretty easy to get a spot close to the room.

Although they don't have a dedicated business centre, the free broadband is most definitely a plus! Also if I need to do some emergency copying or send a fax, that has always been possible. As a business traveller who often stays for longer periods, the ablility to wash and dry clothes on-site it a major plus, although I'd like a kichenette in the room for preparing simple meals.

The food in the restaurant is good, and I find the serving sizes very generous. Having room service is great, particularly when I just want a quick meal. The restaurant staff are friendly and attentive, and the host, George, is always quick to welcome the traveller and make them feel at home.

One of the main attractions are the pools - both the large hot spa pool, and the cold pool. For an early morning wake-up dip or a relaxing hot spa after a tiring day, this definitely makes this motel worth a stay. The pool compound area has good seating, if you want to relax or just have an informal chat and with the addition of more plants in pots is much more pleasant. While not yet a lush oasis, its definitely improved. It's also great, for once, not to have a pool at the front of the motel visible to all and sundry who drive or walk by.

In summary, it is the people and the spa pool that lift this motel out of the ordinary.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled on business
1  Thank gsw_au
Reviewed October 25, 2010

Great hospitality, fast efficient service, with clean comfortable rooms, fantastic food, unfortunately I did not have the time to use the thermal pool. I will stay again.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled on business
2  Thank mikebrissy
Reviewed September 14, 2010

Recently stayed at this Motel. Staff were friendly and efficient, but we were very disappointed with the facilities.
The room was clean, but quite small. The fridge did not work properly.
The pool area was very sad and dated. A concrete jungle.
There was nowhere to sit and read or socialise- no green area, no pool lounge type chairs.
Might be OK for an overnight stop, but not recommended for a longer stay.
One plus- the towels were snowy white!

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled as a couple
3  Thank pogpog
Reviewed July 11, 2010

There were 4 of us (2 adults and 2 teenagers) but the room they gave us was pretty small with a bunk bed. It was warm and everything was clean. However, the bed was hard and so were the pillows. We loved the pool/baths but we stayed in too long and felt really sick for a couple of hours afterwards. The staff were friendly. The toilet button got stuck and ran all night.

The food in the restaurant wasn't very impressive (as I had heard that the food was really good so maybe we got them on a bad day).

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled with family
2  Thank Jennifer S
Reviewed October 24, 2009

This hotel is actually located at two sites a few doors apart on the highway. Whilst the building where reception is located appears to have the nicer rooms than the building where we were housed a few doors down, when I peered in on passing, the rooms appeared to be fairly similar in style, size and furnishings. Reception was brisk but not rude.

The room was small and cramped. It was worn and whilst not dirty did not appear to be really clean either. I felt a few insect bites during the stay. It contained a queen size bed squashed up against a small sofa, a table and two chairs, and small kitchenette with microwave and bar fridge, an old style TV (remote did not work), cabinet, shower, toilet with leaking cistern hose, and hairdryer. Parking in front of the rooms is tight to say the least especially when 4WDs and small trucks with large trailers still attached, are allowed to park in spaces meant for small cars leaving no room for others to manoeuvre. It was an accident waiting to happen. I couldn’t relax or sleep thinking that our new car would be damaged to the point that I went out in my PJs and moved it away outside.

The hotel’s only saving grace is its artesian bore water filled pool. It is a great temperature and has two jets and two pipes pumping 40 degree water into the pool. This saved having to go and pay to use the Moree public baths for the same effect. There is also a cold water pool next to the artesian one. Shade sails have been placed over the pools to make bathing more pleasurable and sunsafe. These pools are located near reception and the rooms located there. Guests at the other building a few doors down have to walk up a laneway to access these pools. They do however have their own cold water pool located at the other location.

Breakfast was included in the price. This included cereal, toast, yoghurt, juice, tea and coffee. Unfortunately the bread for the toast was mouldy and my partner ate it before noticing. This made him feel unwell for the next two days. Please check the bread and cereal closely before eating it.

Of the 11 hotels we stayed at on this trip to northern NSW and southern Queensland this was the worst. I would not stay here again.

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled as a couple