“An hour and a half wait for a bocon and egg roll”
3 of 5 bubbles Review of Tonic

Tonic
Ranked #2 of 11 Restaurants in Millthorpe
Cuisines: Australian
Good for: Romantic, Large groups, Local cuisine, Special occasions, Business meetings
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Full Bar, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Blayney, Australia
“An hour and a half wait for a bocon and egg roll”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 1, 2013

It has "hats". It was Sunday morning, and no one is in a hurry. But to wait an hour and a half for a bacon and egg roll was, to say the least, very disappointing. The coffee was cold by the time the food was served, and it was expensive to boot!

1 Thank Kaylene W

“Absolutely beautiful”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 16, 2013

My husband and I love going to Tonic the food is absolutely beautiful .... We can not wait to return again ...

1 Thank Ronniekel
Canberra, Australia
“Lovely long lunch”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 15, 2012 via mobile

Delicious lunch. The duck was unbelievable. Full of flavour. Not your traditional fine dining small serves. The passionfruit semi-fredio was divine with coconut ice-cream. Were very accommodating with small well behaved child. Great service.

Sydney, Australia
“Quel désastre!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 10, 2012

The one saving grace of this institution was the delightful waitress who served us, Olga. By contrast, I can only assume the supercilious bald man who half acknowledged us as we came in was the owner. Once seated, we were presented with the usual "amuse bouche". An amuse bouche is French for mouth amuser and at most fine dining institutions it is just that, a tiny hors d’œuvre, but in this case we were presented with what they called some sort of soup but what was basically a small tumbler of cream. I rarely consume any cream let alone a cup full of the fat and 2 large sips was as much as I could handle without being sick. Soon the aloof bald man sauntered over to our table and scowled at my unfinished cup. When I tried to explain I had found it too rich to finish, he pulled a rude, mocking and surprised face. Tonic redeemed itself however when our beaming waitress returned to help us with our starters. I opted for the goats curd pannacotta in gazpacho. This was a real treat! I struggled to get through the entire serving as it was very rich and creamy but it was absolutely scrumptious and between our group we ate the lot! I chose the cod for main, by the description on the menu it looked like a safe bet for something lighter. This was just as well because by the end of the starter, my arteries were screaming out for a course not laden with dairy fat! I checked with the waitress that the fish I ordered wasn't about to come dripping in butter. She assured me that there was beurre blanc but it was on the side, phew I thought. However, when the cod arrived, it was impossible to avoid the beurre blanc and it was all I could do to eat the cod without regurgitating from the amount of grease on my plate and there was no way I could tackle the beautiful looking, verdant, baby asparagus which were sadly swimming in the butter and creamy mash mix. The cod itself was quite well cooked, slightly over done, but very enjoyable. When the bald man appeared once more, whisking away our plates, the vegetarian of our party, who had enjoyed every course thus far and managed to eat every portion commented on how much she had enjoyed her vegetarian pie to which the man replied without so much as a flicker of a smile, and in a most condescending and disagreeable tone "Yes, I can see that!". Needless to say, we did not stick around for desert; I couldn't handle being presented with any more butter and cream laden offerings and I don't think any of our party cared to spend a moment longer in the vicinity of the so obviously egotistical owner.
It could be that we did not enjoy Tonic as we are an extremely health and fitness conscious family and only rarely consume fatty products. However enjoy holidaying in the South of France, annually, and have done for many years now and do enjoy French food but this was definitely not the sort of French we are familiar with!
The village of Millthorpe itself was positively charming and we will most certainly be visiting again, if just for more of the bargain Angullong sav blanc but I will stick to those dining institutions with SMH hats in future!

• Visited December 2012
5 Thank jacobscw
Central West NSW
“Fantastic Christmas party in the function room”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 2, 2012

Great staff and to-die-for food.
I haven't actually eaten in the restaurant but can only imagine it would be equally fantastic.

Visited December 2012