“A definit for all to visit Amazing natural Caves”
Review of Jenolan Caves

Jenolan Caves
Book In Advance
More Info
$92.40*
and up
Jenolan Caves: 2-Hour Plughole Introductory...
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: <1 hour
Owner description: Open every day, Jenolan Caves are the largest, most spectacular and most famous caves in Australia. Explore the world's oldest caves - one of the most outstanding cave systems in the world. You are never too young or old to experience the amazing - award-winning tours, adventure caving, scenic bush walks and Australian Aboriginal culture. Glimpse Australian birds and animals in the wild, including kangaroos and platypus. Relax in our magnificent Chisolm's Restaurant, cafe or bar. We even offer accommodation - hotel, motel, cottage or backpacker lodge. Set in Blue Mountains World Heritage wilderness, Jenolan Caves are a national treasure, of awe-inspiring beauty and scale.
Useful Information: Stairs / elevator, Activities for older children, Bathroom facilities
Reviewed September 3, 2013

Both my Husband and I have been here when we were children, but to be able to expereinces these majestic caves again 30 years later was wonderful they have not alter at all. We were lucky enough to arrive on a Tuesday when they do the mystery unexpered tours !!! Where the tour takes you about 2 hrs to explore into caves that have not been see for some time, There is a limitied number of people to this tour and when we went there was only 8 of us. We had to be at the entrance of the cave by 8.30 pm yes that late but it was well worth it as we seen caves that had not been seen before by many others. We seen part of the river caves that have been closed for months and I think we even seen some of the most rarest crystal formation I have ever seen so special and well worth the late night. It was really cold and windy and we even seen snow fall over night which added to the magic of Jenolan Caves. We went late August but was told it is always cold inside the caves 14 degress so it is recommended that you wear solid closed in shoes and long pants and a jumper. The roads into the caves a very steep, narrow and winding roads two way traffic so you have to keep an eye out for traffic coming towards you. This may be a coach if in peak season or school holidays .We didnt have any but it can happen
Would call this trip a wonder of nature and recommend to any one to visit

1  Thank Sharon639
Write a ReviewReviews (1,620)
All reviews
in 64 reviews
"bucket list"
in 21 reviews

Reviewed August 31, 2013

From the great staff...cool crisp weather and majestic caves...I'd say this place is worth the drive. It's a bit of a nightmare drive out there...be prepared for winding roads and a cold day...but it's all worth it. Parking is conveniently located and the signage once you get there is very clear...there are a few different packages you can buy...we just chose to have a few guided tours. The tour guide was personable and funny and I got the feeling everyone enjoyed working there. Remember to take a warm jumper with you...because once in, the caves can get quite chilly! Food was a little on the pricey side but I suppose given the area that's to be expected. It definitely is a good day trip to do.

Reviewed August 28, 2013

My husband went there as a boy many times and eagerly took me along, we stayed for a whole week. It was wonderful! We saw most of the caves open at the time, my favourites being the Temple of Baal which is jaw-droppingly awesome and like nothing I had imagined, we saw it towards the end of our stay so I had seen a lot of caves before hand and it was still AMAZING. They had lights to music in there which I initially feared would be tacky but actually, it was excellent and well designed and showed up different features very well. Next, the Orient cave was also amazing with huge amounts of crystal and flow stone. For my nerdy paleontological and geology interests, the other caves scratched those itches very nicely, fossils galore (the guides came to know that I wanted to see fossils) and fantastic geological evidence, for example, areas where the red September dust storms over thousands of years have built up deposits deep into the caves showing the length of time they've been happening g and the extent of their effects, counter to recent fear-mingle ring that the dust storms are new catastrophes (pfft! They're not!). The adventure caving was fun but hurts the knees and i have had a youth full of adventuring so my injuries let me know it, but I am glad we went, if not just to see the amazing nautiloid fossil. i have read that Jenolan has some of the world's finest nautiloid fossils, and I think that one deep in the Plughole tour was one of them, sad to see it unprotected from hands grasping for a hold in the dark though. The outside caves (nettle, Carlotta arch, and devil's couch house) were amazing, the sheer size of the the devil's coach house was astounding and the evidence of very old flow stone and movement up on the walls showing how these were once like the enclosed caves is a wonderful monument to the unimaginable time needed to create such features. The valley where Jenolan is located is lovely, warmer than the highlands, without frost, and very pretty. Please don't feed the birds. We stayed in Caves House, well worth the money, very cosy and pretty. The blue lake is wonderful. The Aboriginals used to say the area's waters were healing and I have to agree, our skin was perfect there, despite us eating and drinking heaps every night at the bar, and unlike many other hard waters, this water with all its calcium didn't feel like other hard water, it felt nice, soft, left my hair soft and shiny and our skin clear and happy, and it tasted great, very interesting that it is so different. We will be returning many times, both by ourselves and definitely with kids to teach them about time, geology, fossils, crystals and chemistry, and also for the fun and wonder of it all.

Reviewed August 25, 2013

I took my 3 young boys there in July and they were truly amazed by what they saw. It was like nothing they had ever seen and the tour guide really made every one on our tour, The River Cave, feel like they were having a personal tour. Book on to a smaller group tour if you can to get a better experience. Take your own food if you can as the cafe is very ordinary!!! Road into Jenolan is a bit tricky so take your time.

1  Thank JenLouB
See more reviews
Reviewed August 24, 2013

We took a tour of the Lucas cave, it was quite an experience, what nature created and keeps creating there is amazing. The cave tours are really interesting, like a real nature show, good tempo and really taking advantage of the wow factor and when you’d think there can’t be more beautiful, more interesting there it comes surprising you. Lovely guide and truly unique experience.

Next to the caves is the Blue lake, allegedly housing a Platipus family, we were looking for them, hope you’ll have better luck seeing them, but the lake alone is also beautiful.

We went on a tour with FJ tours, our driver and guide was really knowledgeable and passionate about the area and the country. I particularly liked the minibus for this day-trip to the Blue mountains. It always saves time and it feels cozy to have only few people not a huge group.