“Great for the family”

Jenolan Caves
Book In Advance
More Info
and up
Blue Mountains and Jenolan Caves Motorcoach Day...
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: <1 hour
Owner description: Open every day, Jenolan Caves are the largest, most spectacular and most famous caves in Australia. Explore the world's oldest caves - one of the most outstanding cave systems in the world. You are never too young or old to experience the amazing - award-winning tours, adventure caving, scenic bush walks and Australian Aboriginal culture. Glimpse Australian birds and animals in the wild, including kangaroos and platypus. Relax in our magnificent Chisolm's Restaurant, cafe or bar. We even offer accommodation - hotel, motel, cottage or backpacker lodge. Set in Blue Mountains World Heritage wilderness, Jenolan Caves are a national treasure, of awe-inspiring beauty and scale.
Useful Information: Activities for older children, Bathroom facilities, Stairs / elevator
Reviewed February 20, 2013

This is a fun day out for the family where you can learn all about nature, geology and Australian history. The best time to visit is in spring when the temperature is nicest.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,583)
All reviews
in 19 reviews
"diamond cave"
in 64 reviews

Reviewed February 13, 2013

I loved everything about this day trip. The road down to the place was fantastic fun to drive, in the Ford Falcon XR6 that I had rented. The weather by the time I arrived had cleared up, and the scenery was spectacular.

When I arrived at the board to check available tours, I discovered that there was only one that I could do whilst still making the other plans I had for the day. There are numerous caves and tours, although I learned that they are all essentially one big cave in reailty. I took the Lucas tour, and it was rated as easy. Upon reflection I am glad I took an "easy" tour with almost 1000 steps, it was hard work.

I have always been a little claustrophobic, and so was apprehensive about the caves in general but I pushed on through. They need to be clearer about the space within the caves. I am 290lbs and 6'2" and found it difficult to navigate some of the areas in the cave. Several times I had to remove my backpack, because the clearance above my back was so little that I could not pass, some areas I had to scooch sideways to be able to get through some little areas.

They also should tell you up front that tripods are not allowed, cos then I would not have had to arry it all around the place. Bottom line is that the caves were fabulous, the moderate and hard caves are probably beyond me. Don't take more than a very small back and you will be somewhat more comfortable.

Reviewed February 9, 2013

No, I didn't know what spelaeolgy was until we visited the Jenolan caves. What an awesome day it proved to be. The drive to get there is hair-raising and breathtaking at the same time.

I do not like confined spaces and has some doubts about this particular adventure, However, when you travel half way around the world you simply have to 'screw your courage to the sticking place' and get on with it!

We met our delightful female guide, a few minutes before the tour, who helpfully explained a few things and explained the protocols for inside the caves. She was delightfully knowlegeable and a very affable guide, She dealt very diplomatically and gently with some wayward children on the tour that need a clip on the ear .....however that is a diversion!

As we proceeded along the initial corridor I ensured that I was at the back of the line so I could beat a hasty exit if necessary . Whatever misgivings I had soon evaporated as I became totally engrossed in the tour.The unique and precious rock formations were cleverly illuminated with background lights and by our guide's informative commentary. There are too few moments in life where we have the opportunity to witness natural beauty that is millions of years old and to reflect on our own brief interlude of existence in comparison.This was a day to be savoured on so many levels. It is very well organised and to anyone else who isn't keen on confined spaces - my advice is just do it. It is just too amazing an opportunity in life to pass up!

1  Thank Cosmos57
Reviewed February 8, 2013

We were recommended by the very helpful ticket seller to go on the orient tour at 130 on 7 feb. the area surrounding the caves and the drive down were spectacular. We arrived for our tour, quite a lot of people with one guide. When we entered the caves all ok until inside second door when most of the time caves in darkness. We were told to walk forward and up stairs that had not been lit and when stopped because considered unsafe some of our party had to use lights from their mobile phones to access a very risky area. The guide was at the rear telling us to walk forward into complete darkness. One landing had a very steep stairway down which was not obvious until the guide finally arrived from the rear and turned on the light. Having visited many caves around the world we were amazed at the lack of safety consideration and lack of knowledge of our guide. If it had not been for lights from phones at many occasions during our tour we would have been left in dangerous positions. The general consensus from the group who were all complete strangers was in agreement that although caves were good, If we had not been so concerned it would have been more successful. On the return to surface a group of 10 had to wait at least 5 mins before could proceed in safety. My suggestion is that two guides should have been provided one at front and one at rear and this would have considerably improved the experience. Personally I am not happy in confined spaces but am fine with adequate light. More information would also have been useful.

6  Thank Clive A
See more reviews
Reviewed February 4, 2013

Now - I have been to my fair share of caves, and I can say that this is probably the best I have ever been to as a visitor experience! So many to choose from - get there early as the tours can fill up pretty quick and there are limited numbers each day.

Good value for money, great walks with guided tour, there is also a free self guided tour when you buy a ticket.

Take it easy on the road down as it is pretty narrow and the cars do fly up and down the road.

Free parking at the caves.

Wear sturdy footwear and if you are prone to being cold, take a layer to put on in the caves as the temperature remains constant and lower than the ambient temperatures outdoors.

Food is available at the site, but its not great - would be worth taking your own.

Cameras essential!