“Could be so much better”

Seven Oaks Fossicking
Ranked #7 of 17 things to do in Inverell
Reviewed March 11, 2013

Great looking professional website so I expected the prospecting site to look a little less primitive. Enjoyed prospecting but I felt that for $20.00 the owners could have made more of an effort. There was a very cursory effort made in showing me what to do and then I was left to my own devices. Its difficult to spot any tiny sapphires so a little more attention as to what to look for would have been appreciated. I also felt that the very muddy barrels could have had the water changed more regularly as it was very difficult to get all the dirt off the stones and spot the potential sapphires with the very filthy water. This place has so much more potential to be a fantastic experience with a little more care.

5  Thank mitzisydney
in 18 reviews
"bbq"
"vehicle"

Reviewed March 7, 2013

We took the family camping and fossicking here for a few days. It was lots of fun for the kids. They panned for sapphires and found lots of little stones which was exciting for them. They played in the creek and generally got very muddy. They loved it. We camped on the river, had a fire and a relaxing time. The owner was very friendly and helpful. The amenities are very basic and we would have preferred a more secluded camping spot but overall the experience was good.

2  Thank Kontented
Reviewed January 21, 2013

but an experience to try at least once a secludued location that is probalby better visited when the temperature is under 18 degrees.

4  Thank MartinandNarelle
Reviewed December 31, 2012

Took our 6 year old son to do some panning and had a great time. Located about 20 minutes from Inverell and it costed $20 per adult (son was free) - time unlimited - we stayed 2 hours and found lots of small sapphires. You arrive at the property where the residence is located and then drive maybe 1 to 2 km along a rough dirt road (hint: we had a 2wd SUV and no problem but if you have a sedan/car I would ask your host Peter to drive you to the fossick site which would be no problem). Not suitable I don't think for caravans. Essentially he excavates the old river beds leaving a large pile of sediment. You can dig from it or the river bed and then pan for the sapphires. Peter provided advice and instruction and we had an absolute ball. I think you could easily spend a day there. We found heaps of small stones and people around us found larger ones. The fossick site has a very basic camp area and toilet. The creek is nice. A great day trip I reckon with a picnic rug and picnic lunch.

2  Thank BSWAustralia
See more reviews
Reviewed December 4, 2012 via mobile

We went here during our honeymoon as we both like getting out and trying something new. The man who runs it was very friendly and helpful. We stayed for most of the day, found quite a few little stones to keep which was great. His dog (sapphire?) was really cute and stayed with us most of the day playing fetch with rocks at lunch time, which was amusing. Definitely somewhere to go to try something new and have a nice quiet family day. :) don't forget to take a stroll down to the creek at lunchtime, it's really nice. Oh and it wasn't expensive - only $20 each.

2  Thank DanniBlanch