“Aboriginal Walkabout”

Aboriginal Blue Mountains Walkabout
More attraction details
Owner description: Awarded Australia's best walking experience this wonderful traditional walkabout will enrich your modern life with ancient wisdom and give you a deep connection to country and our culture. Enter our Aboriginal dream time and live for a day our fun, creative and spiritual way of life. Can be easily accessed by train from Sydney or Katoomba (Blue Mountains) as a day trip.
Reviewed September 30, 2012

The Aboriginal walkabout was definitely one of the best experiences of my life. I learned a lot and I felt the Spirit in the country of beauty rich and rare, Australia.

Didgerigore, Evan!

1  Thank Nic_Sydney2012
There are newer reviews for Aboriginal Blue Mountains Walkabout

Reviewed September 15, 2012

Into the bush walked five people from five cultures (Russia, USA, Argentina, Holland, Australia) to discuss/experience the worldview of the Aboriginal people. Our guide that day, Evan, has created something special here and I will never forget this day. I think we all took away something a bit different from each other, as it should be... we were all strangers and at different points of our life story (song). But thanks to Evan and his gentle calm voice, we all came to a place of sensory and imaginative exploration related to the meaning of life. I'd call that a good day mate!

3  Thank EcoEric
Reviewed September 10, 2012

A fantastic introduction to aboriginal culture. It was interesting just how gritty the culture is and, at times how cruel it could be. Very different from our own lazy way of life. A great walk too, and memorable.

1  Thank Maverink
Reviewed August 18, 2012

This tour is given by Evan - it is always given by Evan. It is the real deal. You will wander deep into the bush, the rain forest. You'll see ancient carvings and hear the stories that they tell. You will learn some of the symbols and rituals. You will have a beautiful hike deep in the green of the woods. You will come to understand, even if only lightly, the philosophy, the lore of the aboriginal people from someone who - excuse the pun - walks the walk.

To practical matters the hike is not "easy" - you couldn't take it with an electric scooter or on crutches. But you don't have to be a marathon runner or an experienced hiker. Just a willingness to give it a go. There are plenty of breaks while you hear about the nature or the stories. The train ride up there is very pleasant. It is over an hour each way so this will be an entire day event. Well worth the investment of a day. Be sure to bring lunch, a bottle of water and your raincoat. (Be sure to read all of the advice on the web-site.) In winter it can get quite chilly, but Evan made a big fire while we had lunch in a cave and it couldn't have been cozier.

A beautiful day, a wonderful experience. I can't recommend this highly enough.

3  Thank Hobnob_Hobo
Reviewed March 16, 2012

This was a tour I will never forget. Visiting Australia and interested in culture, this tour was fantastic for that, but it was so much more: it was physically challenging, spiritually enhancing and educational The day I was out, there were 6 of us, including Evan the tourguide. Evan is a popular and experienced bushwalker. His father, an Aborigine taught him all about bush-life and Evan takes you on the journey with him in a way that allows you to put yourself in the shoes of the Aborigines themselves. Be prepared to embrace everything the tour has to offer and above all enjoy it: this is the best advice I can give to anyone on this tour, but above all, try it - you will not be disappointed: it can be a little challenging in terms of the terrain but it is recommended for all ages and the beauty of it is that tours like this allow you to bond with the group - whenever there is a challenge, your peers and ofcourse Evan himself are close at hand - I had never done any bushwalking before and I myself thoroughly enjoyed it and felt safe, despite being out in the wild - being so far away from civilization in the bush allows you to focus on what is important in life. It is a great day of exercise, I felt energised for days after it and the things you learn apply to the rest of your life. I enjoyed the tour so much I interviewed Evan about it, which you can listen to here: http://soundcloud.com/theculturecave/podcast-no-7-the-australia .

This is an all-day event (7-8 hours). There are stops along the way. Tips to travellers: bring plenty water (between 2-3 litres). Wear shorts and comfortable clothing in which you can stretch for some steep steps and for passing some rocks etc, bring a swimming costume for a dip in the beautiful waterfall area, bring a camera (though I would probably recommend a small compact camera as opposed to a large SLR). All in all, be practical and travel light to free up enough space for the walking experience. Visiting the Blue Mountains would not be complete without doing this tour- trust me on that!

2  Thank TheCultureCave