“smelly bacon”

St Mounts Boutique Hotel & Trattoria
Cuisines: Italian, Mediterranean
Good for: Large groups, Romantic, Families with children, Kids, Special occasions
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Brunch, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
“smelly bacon”
Reviewed August 19, 2012

We ate here on Sat night 18/8/12, we made a reservation and were seated in a corner where my partner and I faced a wall each even though there was a more suitable table free. I felt like I was seated in the naughty corner! The table had 2 water bottles with peice tags on, $5 for the local spring water. This felt a little tacky.
The service was fast and friendly but when my partners Chicken with bacon and mushroom sauce arrived he could immediately smell something wrong with his meal. The bacon tasted like it was old and rotten. When the owner was approached he assured us the meat was fresh but did not make much effort to replace the dish or offer a discount.
I ordered the salmon with seafood sauce and the sauce tasted like the seafood had been frozen for months. I pushed it to the side to eat the salmon which was well cooked and tasted fresh.
The side of steamed beans and broccoli with garlic, tomato and olive oil was bland and boring - no garlic or tomato to be seen.
To top it off on arrival back at our guest house fellow travellers had also dined the same night had a similar bad experience.

Jack A N, Owner at St Mounts Boutique Hotel & Trattoria, responded to this review, August 25, 2012
Dear Madam,

Thank you very much for your review - which is totally inaccurate.

I remember speaking with you and your partner on that evening. If you did not enjoy sitting at a corner table, all you had to do was ask and we could have moved you.

In relation to your partner's meal, I can recall at first hand EXACTLY what occurred.

Your partner informed me that the bacon had a "funny" taste. I informed him that the bacon was fresh as I had personally opened the packet that day and cooked and used it for our in house guests and our own family.

You suggested that I sample a piece of bacon from your plate and handed a spare fork from your table. I tried the bacon and found nothing wrong. I then offered to take your dish and have the chefs prepare something else for you instead ( something you neglected to say in your review ).

You declined, saying that you would simply move the bacon to the side of your plate. I wasn't happy with that and again offered you another dish, which you again decllined.

I remember walking away from your table and calling back in a joking fashion that i still had your spare fork, whereupon you laughed.

In response to your statement that our seafood has been frozen for months, I must take personal offence. All of our seafood is fresh from the markets every day or every second day. Your statement reflects that my chefs cook with frozen seafood, which is totally incorrect.

The local spring water and mineral waters have been placed on the tables for you as an extra option with your meal, if you don't want our chilled tap water. We try to promote our local businesses. If you find this "tacky", I'm sorry.

On that night, I was working on the restaurant floor and I personally went to each and every guest to ensure that they were happy. I had many compliments and no complaints.

I believe I offered ( more than once ) and tried to do everything that I could for you on that night, but still you complained on Tripadvisor, Very disappointing.

Brisbane
“Lovely place”
Reviewed August 14, 2012

We popped into this restaurant on our first night in Blackheath and had a lovely dinner. The atmosphere is cosy with interesting paintings and decorations and the service was A+ from the minute we walked in the door.

I had the gnocci which was nice and fresh and some of the best I've had, and the staff were happily accommodating in giving me an entree-size as requested. It's not far from town with easy parking out the front and with the friendly service and delicious food, we will definitely be back!

• Visited August 2012
Sydney, Australia
“Ok but better places in blackheath”
Reviewed August 9, 2012

Trattoria handy as part of the ohotel. Warm and with a fireplace. Food somewhat hit and miss. Good restuarants in walking distance of the hotel in blackheath. Good choices for such a small town.

Visited August 2012
Dubbo, Australia
“A tasty Italian restaurant with a smile”
Reviewed July 27, 2012

This restaurant had great food, great ambience and a lovely waiter called Christian who made our meal a delight.

Visited July 2012
Sydney
“Eat here often”
Reviewed July 8, 2012

We stay at the motel across the road often and so it's great to come here and feel at home.The owners remember us and we have always had great wholesome food which we like.Last trip we had the Salmon wrapped in pastry with a seafood sauce over it....
Delicious ! They bake their own bread which I am yet to find better!!

Visited July 2012