“Eat here often”

Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
“Eat here often”
Reviewed July 8, 2012

We stay at the motel across the road often and so it's great to come here and feel at home.The owners remember us and we have always had great wholesome food which we like.Last trip we had the Salmon wrapped in pastry with a seafood sauce over it....
Delicious ! They bake their own bread which I am yet to find better!!

Visited July 2012

Sydney, Australia
“Good Italian Food - Lack of good service made it a 4 star.”
Reviewed June 23, 2012

We had a late dinner. The place was busy but not too crowded. Food was very nice - especially enjoyed marinara pasta - quite spicy and tasty. Steak was tender and tasty and cooked just right at medium rare.

Service was not quite up to par though. Waitress forgot our salad side order.

If you want a good Italian food around Blackheath, we'd recommend this place.

1 Thank hspencerx
“cosy traditional Italian”
Reviewed June 14, 2012

Open fire, all the traditional pasta offerings & a few nice daily specials. It was comfort food perfect for a chilly weekend in the mountains.

Visited June 2012
Newcastle, Australia
“Rushed and a letdown”
Reviewed June 11, 2012

My wife and I ate at this restaurant a couple of years back and it was one of the more memorable meals we had experienced, so when we recently visited the Blue Mountains again we were keen to go back.

We were unable to secure an early evening booking and were asked to arrive a little later when the first sitting had finished. We arrived on time and were seated at a table where we were constantly surrounded by waiters, friends of the owners and others wandering in and out of the kitchen area - even though there were tables for two vacant in more suitable locations.

We had water delivered and our orders taken within 3 or 4 minutes (think quick!), breads and entrees arrived 5 minutes later and mains were on the table 20 minutes after we arrived! The entire dining experience took 45 minutes even though there were plenty of people still there it felt like they just wanted us in, out and paid up as quickly as possible.

The food was Ok, although my wifes main meal was cold in places (she ordered lamb shanks) and had to be re-heated. She said it tasted like the meat and sauce had been prepared separately and met each other for the first time on the plate. The bread was uninspiring and my entree of calamari was fairly scant for the price.

We had talked about returning for 2 years and it was, to say the least, a disappointment. Last time we were treated like we were someone special. This time we felt like we were disposable - they didnt even bother asking if we enjoyed the meals.

• Visited June 2012
Jack A N, Owner at St Mounts Boutique Hotel & Trattoria, responded to this review, June 13, 2012
Dear Michael,

Thank you very much for your review.

I am very disappointed that you did not enjoy your dining experience with us, as I can see that you felt rushed on the night. On the evening that you came to us, it was one of the busiest nights of the year, the Queen’s Birthday Long Weekend, and our Head Chef cooked over 150 meals on that particular night. It is of a prominent note, that of those 150 meals, only one meal was completely re-cooked and plated – yours. I must add, that the lamb shanks that your wife had, are roasted in the oven for one hour, and then braised with the root vegetables, aromatics and imported Italian tomato for over six ( 6 ) hours and so as you can see they have had over a minimum of 6 hours to get to know each other, they definitely were not meeting for the first time on the plate.

Your table was positioned in an area where wait staff walk past to deliver meals to other guests, I must admit that I am a little confused with regards to your comment of being surrounded by the wait staff and “friends of the owners” – we did have a number of large tables with Blackheath locals dining, however from my memory of the night, they were seated at their tables.

Unfortunately, I cannot remedy your concerns now, a week later, however if you had informed my staff on the night, that you wished to take your time, your request would have been attended to on the night.

It would be lovely if you could return someday to our restaurant, I would be very happy to share a glass of wine with you and your wife.
“Hidden Gem”
Reviewed April 29, 2012

Blink and you could miss it. Not very well sign posted. One of the best restaurants we have eaten at in the Blue Mountains.We were staying there for the night in one of their guest rooms and so thought we would try out the Italian down stairs.What a great night. Service was good, Food was even better.I had lasagna and my partner had the fillet steak with prawns for just $30. Great value we thought having spent $45 last week in a sydney restaurant and the fillet there was half the size! We would highly recommend the Afogato for dessert.!!!

• Visited April 2012