“A great restaurant let down by the chef's arrogance”
Review of Escarpment - CLOSED

Escarpment
Dining options: Reservations
Description: The Escarpment is a beautiful Tapas Restaurant serving small share plates we are not Spanish Open Thursday to Sunday 11.30Am for Lunch 5.30Pm for Dinner NO BYO
Reviewed January 1, 2013

We went to Escarpment following local recommendations and other reviews. Initially we weren't disappointed - a intimate atmosphere but not too tight and an inventive menu adding twists to many French classics. The waiting staff were attentive and kind.

The last thing I expected was to be barked at by the chef! If the bathroom is occupied beware waiting just outside the door - which is at the entrance to the kitchen. The chef instructed me in a rude manner "don't stand there, go wait in the restaruant" and agressively pointed out the direction to me. Even with the pressures of a full house to cook for, I would consider it unprofessional to shout instructions at anyone, particularly a guest. Even with Gordon Ramsay's ego I would be put out, but at least then we would have had the quality of food to match.

If you do decide to go it might be worth phoning ahead to check on the chef's mood first.

3  Thank Jin C
There are newer reviews for Escarpment

Reviewed December 27, 2012

We dropped by the restaurant on the off chance of a table for four for dinner, which was available, however once seated we had to wait for a menu as we were told we didn't have a reservation and we would have to wait until the guests with reservations had ordered. It was 25 minute before the menus arrived, in the meantime we were charged $8.50 for a 375mL bottle of sparkling water, the restaurant is BYO only. The waiting staff were young and lacked maturity to handle clients, I object to being called "guys" when I'm paying $35 for a main.

The food was good, each of us had a different dish. I had the goat tangine which was served with rice, paris mash and steamed vegetables.

Points to remember guys:

Giving your customers a menu soon after they have arrived gives them time to peruse the menu at leisure, and makes waiting acceptable.

When the customers are lot older than you and paying good money familiarity is not as acceptable as courtesy.

I would be willing to try the restaurant again, especially as I am a local, however, I would like better service.

2  Thank davcol_1
Reviewed November 4, 2012

I have been to this restaurant twice and its been great on both occasions. The food and service are both excellent. Weekend lunch is great value - around $35 for two courses. The atmosphere is simple and elegant - and I would definitely go back. I had trouble choosing from among the dishes, the menu was so good. I loved the mussels and the Eton mess was delicious!

Reviewed October 15, 2012

Absolutely delightful restaurant.

The quality of the food served was excellent and a pleasure to indulge.

We were given great service and attention.

There was plenty of choice on the menu. The prices were comparable with other quality restaurants in Blackheath.

We thoroughly recommend this restaurant and will definitely return.

1  Thank Catherine519
Reviewed September 1, 2012

Have been to this restaurant a number of times now and it always delivers a great night out.

The menu changes regularly and is cooked beautifully. Prices are reasonable, there's a focus on local and free range produce and it's a BYO which means you can a great meal at a reasonable price. This is the 2nd best restaurant in Blackheath after Ashcrofts, but this place is less expensive, so if you factor all aspects, I'd say it's on par or very close.

Service is just wonderful too, the front of house staff really do go out of there way to ensure you've had a great night.

Thoroughly recommend the place to anyone looking for lunch or dinner in a couple or small group of friends.