“Bit hit and misd”

Cuisines: Australian, Cafe
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Breakfast
Reviewed January 22, 2017 via mobile

Stopped for lunch on the way home. Was a little put off by the very loud-talking waitress who was very enthusiastic just loud!

I had the steak sandwich which was yummy and tender. Came with crunchy beer-battered type thick cut chips which were nice. Not keen on the strange tomato relish dip though.

Unfortunately the Caesar salad was disappointing. An absolutely huge bowl of chopped lettuce with bacon crumbs through it. Lettuce was mostly the outer leaves and was bitter and over dressed. A couple of croutons and a fried egg (and a little Parmesan) finished it off.

A bit hit and miss.

Reviewed January 16, 2017 via mobile

Great service with great food provided recently over the Christmas period. We had vegetarian and full breakfasts - juice was not freshly squeezed which was disappointing coffee was ok. Tea was perfect. A good place to have breakfast or morning tea.

Reviewed January 16, 2017 via mobile

We live locally and haven't visited Wattle Cafe for years after a not so good experience. However this time we were pleasantly surprised. With family visiting from Sydney, we decided to pop in for a quick lunch. It was early, so there were plenty of empty tables. This soon changed and the place became very busy. Service was friendly and fast and special requests taken seriously. My brother, who is on a very strict salt-free diet was assured, after the consultation with the chef, that the fish and chips would be prepared that way. This proved correct and a very generous and yummy looking dish was served. He missed out on quite a few chips (more like wedges) which were stolen by the rest of us. My smoked salmon sandwich consisted of sinful, giant slabs of ultra-fresh white bread with very generous filling. I had to remove some of the forest of rocket, but must say this was one of the best sandwiches I have eaten. Others were happy with the generous serves of chicken Caesar salad. Just be aware that this can be a noisy place when opened up in summer. This was a warm day and with the front completely open, there was plenty of traffic noise from the busy highway and plenty of conversation from the diners. Still, this was a happy lunch experience.

Reviewed January 12, 2017 via mobile

Simply Best coffee!! Always stop for a coffee on my way to Wang and Grenfell without a miss.
Great service with beautiful smile all around.

Reviewed January 11, 2017 via mobile

We had lunch at this cafe as there were plenty of free tables whereas other places were packed. That should have been a warning sign.

I ordered a club sandwich which I only had one bite of to find a long, black hair. My friend had egg shell in her sandwich, which did not contain eggs.

Two meals with objects in them that should not have been? Wow! Aren't we lucky!

I took my sandwich back as I wasn't going to eat a hairy lunch and advised the girl behind the counter there was a hair and showed her said hair. The other girl asked if I'd like to take it to go. Rightio, cause I really just didn't want to munch down on the hair sandwich in public but want to take it home to eat in private where I can savour it without judgement. Makes sense!

They didn't charge me for the hair sandwich (I opted not to take it home). They apologised but did not seem surprised by this foreign object in my sandwich. I'm thinking hairy food might be their specialty.

While standing at the counter I looked out back and saw the male cook had long, black hair and no hair net. No one in the kitchen had a hair net. Maybe I walked into a secret hairy food fetish cafe and am being ungrateful.

I also had a Berry Crush which was ok. Totally overpriced for what it was. The paper straw disintegrated into the juice (I understand Blackheath has gotten rid of plastic straws), but no way was I putting my mouth on that glass! I'm surprised I drank it, really. But thirsty.

I'd avoid this place if you like clean food... but if you like surprises in your food then this is the place for you!

5  Thank Rachel I