All reviews water taxi puerto vallarta in town crab gilligan's island hot water mosquito net hotel grounds open air low key thatched roof pie bathroom floor beach restaurant yacht club running water palapa style
Reviewed December 9, 2016 via mobile

We thoroughly enjoyed our stay here! It is a rustic resort but the fresh cool breeze, sound of waves outside, candlelight dinner in the sand created a most memorable experience. Narda, our waitress at the restaurant was always smiling and very accommodating. Our room was unit #24 and had a 7 foot boulder separating the shower and toilet, which for me was quite charming. I definitely will stay here again!!

Date of stay: December 2016
Trip type: Traveled as a couple
1  Thank Tangi S
Reviewed December 7, 2016

I was excited to share this unique hotel on the shore of Yelapa with my wife. But what a disappointment to find how neglected and shabby this once amazing boutique hotel has become. The front desk staff on three separate shifts could not have cared less to see us. In fact we simply intruded into what else they were doing in their run down shabby reception area with a single unshaded light bulb hung forlornly in the middle of the room.
The palapa room itself was neglected and run down like the rest of the resort with a padlock replacing an out of order door lock. Don't expect glasses or kleenex, even if you ask for them. A coconut with a straw in it sat on the outside plastic table that day and was still there the following day.
Some of the other suites seemed better maintained so we asked to be moved the first day when our neighbour was playing loud music.
The new room was marginally better but still we had to steal a second deck chair from another cottage to sit outside. Inside, the toilet roll holder was missing and only two screws indicating its former existence. The taps were old and crusty, the sink counter warped and decaying as the photos show. Some of the cottages had plastic sheeting on the roofs replacing the missing palm leaves.
The pool was pleasant and was refilled with what I imagine was natural spring water. No maintenance happening there. But the area next to it, which looked as if it had had a sink for rinsing clothes was completely broken and derelict as in the photo.
The "Spa" was closed and also derelict with dead leaves and other debris on the massage table sheets, we could see. The restaurant had been moved down the beach into new temporary premises because the roof of the existing building apparently fell in for lack of repair. Incidentally the restaurant staff and food were great.
My disparaging review is to prompt the owners to get off their backsides and bring the hotel back up to its former self. At the moment they are taking not inconsiderable revenue for these clapped out rooms but doing so without putting anything back in terms of repair, renovation, renewal or energy.
My conclusion: they are just running the hotel down while crusing on out of date TripAdvisor reviews.

Room tip: My best advice would be to stay away until the owners fix it up
  • Trip type: Traveled as a couple
8  Thank RobVW65
HotelLagunita, Propietario at Hotel Lagunita, responded to this reviewResponded December 22, 2016

Sorry for the bad experience in the Hotel Lagunita. We are at the middle of the renovations right now and it is true we are being more focus in rebuilding the restaurant fast instead of be aware of the rooms like we just to.

I appreciate your review because you make us realize our mistakes.

I hope you give us a chance to compensate you.

Reviewed December 7, 2016

Still quaint and beautiful though it badly needs some TLC. The location is incredible, but nearly everything is on the verge of falling apart or rusting through. Walk carefully and watch your step! Could be wonderful with some minor upgrades and basic maintenance.

• Trip type: Traveled as a couple
2  Thank CatrionaMcD
Reviewed October 20, 2016 via mobile

My "sea view bungalow" was a filthy, bug infested nightmare.

First - the filth. It's an open roof cabin by the beach - so it's fine that there would be some bugs or dust. However, it looked like no one had stepped inside for weeks, much less cleaned. My bed was literally infested with bugs (see photo). There were dead spider skeletons all over the bed, dirt, ants everywhere. Bathroom was infested as well - I didn't even unpack because there were no clean surfaces.

There was a broken fan that barely worked, and the windows were rusted shut so basically no air and it was hot. Awful.

I paid for a "sea view bungalow". It was shared with another cabin - with an open roof, you could hear everything in the next room. It was like a dorm.

Wifi by the reception only - no where near the cabins.

This was the worst place I have ever stayed - and I have stayed in some awful places. Boooooooo

Date of stay: October 2016
Trip type: Traveled solo
9  Thank CaitlinRutledge
Reviewed September 13, 2016

the hotel is good. i think it can be way more better. the room have the basic : bed and barthroom and a tube for closet. i get it is "rustic". BUT the mattres is so old, only 2 pillows, only one plastic fan .. we used the 2 beds room and we request a second fan ..the front desk said that they only have one per room and no extra fans (i think they really have to buy more and betters fans). After the beach restaurants close around 7:00pm there is no store or food available nearby. you have to walk all the way to the village . i think the hotel should have a restaurant and some stuff for sell 24/7 at frondesk. The basic: wather, beers, chips, nothing elaborate. i travel with a baby and i need a fridge for the milk, only at the beach restaurants and again they close.. hotel do not have one fridge or minibar or cooler or anything.

the kayaks are in really bad shape.

i think they can offer way more stuff. the property is gorgeous and Yelapa is great.

Room tip: bring food
Date of stay: August 2016