“Paradise setting”

Ranked #2 of 4 Hotels in Yelapa
sta barbara
“Paradise setting”
Reviewed June 22, 2013

I have been staying here for 30 yr and surprisingly and thankfully little has changed. The setting and grounds are fantastic, the rock-hewn pool truly unique. The rooms are very rustic and basic and they are all different so try to see several. Restaurant is good (also try Angelina's next door). Yelapa is wonderful to explore. We were here at the start of the rainy season and enjoyed the annual crab invasion .

Room Tip: Check different rooms and beds
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank johnStaBarbara

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (69)
Albany, CA
Reviewed April 30, 2013

Resting, swimming, eating, drinking, hiking, repeat! An amazing 3 nights at the simple, but simply wonderful Lagunita in Yelapa. If you are looking to relax in a simple but clean and welcoming place, with great food and a beautiful beach, this is it. Lucas takes care of everything you need.

Room Tip: All rooms are at the water with amazing views across the bay.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Portland, Oregon
Reviewed April 14, 2013

This was our second stay at Lagunita (the first for friends wedding about 5 years ago). We will return and encourage others to visit this tranquil oasis.

Reasons to stay at Hotel Lagunita:
- It's quiet, comfortable, rustic, relaxing, low key, away from the pueblo and on the beach
- The staff is terrific. Kudos and gratitude to Luke and Nereida in particular. They were helpful, friendly and made us feel welcome.
- Massage is divine. Thanks, Dana!
- Loungers/tables are plentiful; kayaks available.
- Food is terrific and reasonably priced. Beers are cold, cold, cold. Salsa delicious. Entrees high quality. Service was good. Love the candlelit tables in the sand at night...quite romantic.
- Pool is lovely. Big boulders in it, great view of the bay, lots of spots to chill out. Not for kids though.
- Palapas have everything you need (bed, dresser, tables, chairs, bathroom) and nothing you don't. They are rustic, simple, and clean.
- Wifi works fine around reception, the restaurant and by the loungers
- The sound of the ocean outside your window and the jungle birds/insects is incredibly relaxing
- The staff takes pride in the property, watering plants, cleaning the beach, sweeping the stone paths, etc.
- The staff is attentive: the palapa next to us was vacant; one day when day trippers arrived they simply plopped themselves down on the verandah chairs outside that unit and attempted to settle in for the day. Within minutes, hotel staff arrived politely explaining that only registered guests can use the palapas and their attached patios. We appreciated that the staff was aware of the situation and handled it with diplomacy.
-Augustana the pie lady sells her delicious pies right at your lounger each day after 11 AM. Lemon meringue, cheesecake, coconut pie...yum.

Why you shouldn't stay at Hotel Lagunita:
- You expect luxurious rooms with glass windows, A/C, and screens. Windows have curtains or shutters, but no glass, screens or A/C (there is A/C in one or two units, but you sure don't need it). This adds to the charm.
- You need marble floors and solid walls (expect rustic tile floors and bamboo/wood/brick walls with a thatched roof. They are lovely.)
- You are afraid/intolerant of iguanas, geckos, and other bugs. We didn't see any in our unit, but you are living in the jungle and they come with the territory.
- You want lots of activities and an activity director (swimming, lounging and relaxing are the main choices here)
- You are high maintenance and have trouble 'going with the flow'
- You demand upscale furnishings and amenities

We can't wait to return.

Room Tip: Be sure to let the staff know your preferences when making your reservation (e.g., prefer freestandi...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
4 Thank SelectiveTraveler99
Reviewed April 11, 2013

We had a coupon for an ocean view room at Lagunita which we had seen on many trips to Yelapa but never enjoyed its comforts. They honoured our voucher for 3 nts. with breakfast at the discount rate and couldn't have been nicer. Ours was away from the 'reception', pool and restaurant area on stone paths winding thru the jungle along the shore where the pangas and water taxis drop off passengers at the little dock. It's all very low key, laid back and not at all fancy. If you need more amenities, this is not for you but at $70. bucks it's a good vibe, away from the scene of PV to recharge and read and hike, eat good Mexican dishes and soak up the sun. The windows, without screens, open wide to allow for ocean breezes. We didn't need the mosquito net or a powerful shower but the beds were firm and clean and with one small bag between us, there's nothing to dress up for, well, it's a getaway for sure!

Room Tip: up and away (22 to 28)
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank pvfields
Reviewed April 11, 2013

This is my forth visit to Hotel Lagunita. This time I spend three nights and expect for a few walks on the beach I never left the property.

Was check in by Eddy and he remember me from before and from a few emails making sure that I got my favorite room - Casita #5. Both checking and out were a breeze. All extra charges from the room upgrade fee to the bar and restaurant were clear noted and copies of thing that I had signed during my stay was attached to the back of the final bill. No problems at all.

I was able to get my favorite room. It was spacious with two double beds, sofa bedside tables a desk/table where I could work and a huge window that opens out on to the beach and the beautiful bay of Yelapa. My room was clean and housekeeping was provided daily. The two things that could be better would be to have the naked light bulbs covered and some bedside lighting for reading at night. The leak in my bathroom that I complained about on my last stay a month ago was still leaking and the bathroom floor does get wet. Yes, this is a rustic hotel...so, if you're expecting the Four Seasons you should look across the bay. This is a simple palapa style hotel directly on the beach with beautiful views of the sea, sky and mountains. There will be bugs, bats, lizards and beautiful singing birds first thing in the morning.

The beach is kept meticulously clean and the gardens are constantly being watered and groomed. The pool can be hit or miss. But, with that beautiful ocean in front of you...I've never actually seen anyone use the pool.

The food in the restaurant is excellent from fruit and yoghourt with homemade granola to the beautiful tuna steak that I shared with the little kitty that is relentless when she smells fish. Dinner is beautiful watching the sunset and water and it's beautiful when the candles are lit after sunset. Excellent food, excellent views.

My only suggestion is that the restaurant staff definitely needs to be trained to provide consistent customer service. It is hit and miss...some of the staff are very pleasant all the time and some of the staff are just moving through the motions. Several times during my stay the staff would disappear and not return to my table for up to 30 minutes or you'd find the standing around the bar talking instead of tending to the tables. Two nights I was hoping to order dessert and ask for my check. Both nights I got tired of waiting and the second time I couldn't even find staff to ask for my check. So, I just went off to bed and hoped my check would find it's way on my final bill. I notice this morning that it was there buy there was a blatant omission of a tip for that particular afternoon and evening...simply because no one ever came back to deliver my check. I didn't stiff them...there was just no one around to bring my check. Oh well...

Hotel Lagunita is in need of some tender loving care and it would be easy to do that for an investment of time and money. Perhaps the owners have plans for the off season to give it all a fresh coat of paint and work on consistency of service overall.

One last thing that could be consistent is internet service. Sometimes it works, sometimes it tries to work and sometimes it just doesn't. Sometimes I could get access in my room and other times not. A simple replacement with a more powerful wi-fi unit and an additional repeater system would be cheap and would probably solve the problem. Thus, they would be able to provide access to wi-fi to all rooms and definitely for the entire beach.

Would I return? YES! It's an excellent location to get away from daily life in Vallarta. Hotel Lagunita is not trying to be anything other than what it states. It's a rustic little village unto itself with palapa style living, an excellent and clean beach, stunning views and great food from the restaurant. I look forward to seeing Eddy and the gang again over the summer!

Thanks for everything guys! I hope you all find my review helpful and that the owners find my suggestions just as helpful. Best wishes to all!

Room Tip: Oceanfront rooms closer to the lobby area offer great views and sometimes you can connect to the wi...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed April 7, 2013 via mobile

Hotel Lagunita is an excellent place to stay, they have beautiful bungalows with ocean view and front on the beach, It's a great place to being relaxed, the service is awesome!, and the food is the best of the area, pool is lovely and beautiful with the giant stones...
I just had an amazing time here!
Congratulations H. Lagunita

• Stayed April 2013
Reviewed March 20, 2013

Stay here only if you can tolerate bedbugs, poor service, drunks, loud prostitutes and poorly prepared rooms.....wow, and they're pretty expensive, too compared with other hotels in the area...
We were told our room would be ready in 30 minutes but waited just over 3 hours....and when we asked for the owner's name and contact information, the reception area worker simply left the room.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Laura R
Also consider these accommodations in or near Yelapa
Hotelito Mio
Hotelito Mio
#1 of 1 in Cabo Corrientes
Costa Sur Resort & Spa
Costa Sur Resort & Spa
#35 of 124 in Puerto Vallarta
Garza Blanca Preserve, Resort & Spa
Garza Blanca Preserve, Resort & ...
#14 of 124 in Puerto Vallarta
#69 of 124 in Puerto Vallarta
Playa Conchas Chinas Hotel
Playa Conchas Chinas Hotel
#81 of 124 in Puerto Vallarta

Been to Hotel Lagunita? Share your experiences!