“Luxury + Nature”
Review of Verana

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Yelapa
Verana
Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Yelapa
Reviewed November 26, 2012

We had an amazing vacation at Verana. Part luxury, part safari - it's a place unlike any I've ever seen. We had the pool house, mid-Nov, which blurs between indoor and outdoor, having a bed next to the cooling waters of a pool, and lush vegetation beyond that. This house also has a deck and second bed"room" as well. Birds were all around us. The views of the bay were incredible from here and there was a nice breeze most days. The staff are wonderful - highly attentive but never intrusive; the food was fantastic - fresh fish, tacos, chiles rellenos; the housekeeping staff were impeccable with attention to every detail. If you want to experience nature, pampering, and seclusion all at once, I highly recommend Verana!

Room Tip: Every house/room is different. Some are more exposed to outdoor than others, some are more of a hike...
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank jcr_atl

Reviewed November 15, 2012

Reviews, the Verana website & rates, led me to anticipate a rustic yet stylish, smart, artfully designed, wonderfully situated jungle lodge-type resort. Relaxed, unpretentious, original & together (eg quality). While much of the above, Verana is also in need of serious rehab/updating to offset a slide into funk. It comes across as a place that has not been significantly upgraded since opening, or scrutinized pre-season, (e.g., peeling paint/plaster, less than comfortable seating/mattresses, dated hippy funk light & plumbing fixtures, minimal/insufficent fans, some stone patios/showers showing signs of mold, can of Raid in the bathroom.) When considering rates to value/expectations, the funk/neglect loses its charm and is offputting. The character/setting/concept of Verna is special, but it needs attention to live up to its reputation/website photos.

Room Tip: I toured the majority of the rooms. The concepts are original, fun, special. As noted above, each in...
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled solo
6  Thank Kay677
Reviewed August 1, 2012

My husband and I went there for our honeymoon in February, and loved the place. We had such a nice time that we decided to go again for our fifth anniversary :)
We split our stay between the jungle house and the bungalow. We liked the bungalow way more than the jungle house.
The place is very private. The staff go out of their way to ensure that you don't run into them when you don't expect to.
And oh, you ought to try the moonlit bath if you go there. It is out of the world.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Gayatri R
Reviewed July 9, 2012

Loved taking a yoga class under a palapa while viewing the beauty of the Pacific and the surrounding tropical forest. My casita was gorgeous , rustic and luxurious, which included a private patio, living room for lounging , reading etc...and a private outdoor shower. My bedroom was romantic (I was alone boo-hoo ) with a type of flowy canopy bed and very comfortable . Every morning a quiet elf/ angel would deliver my choice of beverage with delicious pastry's and fruit, which would be left on my patio at an appointed time adding to the zen vibe .My only tiny complaint was the food, though good did not include enough seafood at the time I stayed.Even though i was the only single traveler I never felt uncomfortable with all the romantic couples who were the other guests, oh maybe that's just me ! I love to be surrounded by natural beauty and a good library. Hope your in good shape to climb the mountain to get to this "Eden " or don't mind a donkey ride!

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled solo
1  Thank creativetravelor
Reviewed May 12, 2012

We got a pretty last minute invite from our friends to join them on a week long get away in a town and resort we had never heard of, the Verana in Yelapa. On an impulse we decided why not. We booked the trip and a few weeks later we were getting on a boat to take us to a remote part of Mexico just outside of Puerto Vallarta.

We arrived at the dock and were greeted by friendly Verana staff and a few mules. They immediately took our luggage and had us follow them up the steep, but beautiful path that lead us into the hotel. I felt like I had been transported into the set of Lost or Jurassic Park. Beautiful Jungle surrounded us and noise from the surreal wildlife was incredible. From the moment we entered the resort we experienced the most amazing service my wife and I have every experienced at any resort. The staff was incredibly friendly, personable, attentive, and constantly doing everything in their power to make your stay radically relaxing.

Because of the last minute nature of our trip and the fact that the hotel was almost completely booked out, we had to split our stay between a couple of rooms. Most of our trip was spent in the Pool House, a room that is unlike anything I have ever experienced. Privately nestled into the jungle, with the exception of one wall and a roof your bed room is completely open air. Just off your bed is your own extremely private plunge pool. My wife and I spent multiple afternoons laying out in the sun, swimming, napping, etc... and never left our room. It was incredible. You sleep with a mosquito net surrounding you which is wonderful because you can experience the sites and sounds of sleeping in the jungle without any of the hassles of bugs. If you require silence to sleep you may want to pack some ear plugs as the birds and wildlife love to make their presence known most of the night.

While the resort is small and exclusive, the property boasts some amazing features. From laying out in the sun in the infinity pool that overlooks the Ocean and Yelapa mountains and bay, to laying in a hammock in the Yoga studio with the same view, to having late afternoon drinks at the bar, you are completely surrounded by a beautiful and relaxing environment.

I consider myself an above average foodie and have traveled much of the world experiencing great cuisine. Verana's chef did not disappoint us whatsoever. The food was good to outstanding with every single meal being prepared individually and served at perfect temperatures. The drinks were also outstanding. If you are a Tequila person, they have a decent selection (not huge) but pretty well rounded. Also, their margaritas were simply the absolute best I have ever tasted. Their bar tender Danny has brought to the Verana an amazing menu to choose from.

The only drawbacks to consider...
Going at the end of the season (mid march through mid May) will limit the experience. Yelapa basically shuts down the month of May. This really means that you will be spending all your time at the resort (which doesn't suck whatsoever if you are wanting to just shut off and relax). Also, the Jelly Fish make it so you simply can not get in the Ocean. While they are small and their sting is pretty insignificant, it is annoying enough to be a deterrent. Finally, because the end of season is basically leading into their spring (rainy season), it is really dry. The views of Verana are negatively impacted by the brown hills and lakish looking ocean water. I would suggest trying to go between the months of December and early March.

If you are going with friend and you care at all about privacy, think twice about sharing a house. The Pool House, Jungle Suite and the Palapa each have two beds, but almost zero privacy from each other. I would recommend booking separate rooms so that you can gain the full romantic experience of Verana. On a positive note, we had planned on sharing a house and as soon as we realized that lack of privacy we went and spoke with Verana staff. They did everything in their power to split us up for the majority of the trip. Like I said, their service is absolutely amazing!

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
7  Thank steelheadjasone
Reviewed April 24, 2012

My fiancee and I booked four nights at this amazing boutique hotel set high in the jungles of Yelapa, a town which is conveniently remote and removed from Puerto Vallarta. The journey to Yelapa was exceptionally straightforward and easy. Once at the hotel, there is no reason to leave. The grounds are gorgeous, tasteful, comfortable and relaxing. We stayed in the Pool House and loved the fact that we were never actually indoors throughout the duration of our trip. Also, the large plunge pool in the Pool House was a fantastic experience. Meals were all delicious and the meal plan is reccomended as there is nothing else (you're in the jungle) unless you take the 40 minute walk into Yelapa. With my compliments to the chef, who cooked up our lunch and dinner, there is also no reason to eat elsewhere. The atmosphere is warm and inviting. Each night we had dinner by candle light set amongst a backdrop of the beautiful bay while eating delicious local foods. If you need to get away, disconnect and relax without the big tourist resort then Verana is the place.

Room Tip: Pay for the meal plan and their car service to/from the Boca de Tomatlan. It's worth it.
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank CocoFranco
Reviewed March 23, 2012

Our third visit to the Verana spa, now relocated upon the hilltop overlooking the stunningly beautiful ocean expanse and tiny beachside town of Yelapa provided our richest experience yet. Ours was a day trip by water taxi from Boca which in itself offered exquisite views of the tropical ocean - Mediterranean forest interface. The design and construction of the intricate winding trail to the peak of the hill revealed a rare attention to minimum impact upon the forest floor. This intimate blending with Nature characterizes the entire facility.

Wonderfully warm, pleasant and efficient staff persons provided us with an exquisitely appointed space to relax and change for our massage. Thoughts of this most original, functional yet unpretentious architecture as well as the artful decoration of the space itself trigger wonderful memories.

My own frequent self-indulgence with therapeutic massage causes me to rate the Verana experience as absolutely outstanding. The spiritually rejuvenating and relaxing qualities of such a session defy accurate verbal description.

The meal of the fresh and healthy ingredients earns the outstanding rating as well.

My mind drifts back to the long moments we relaxed upon the comfortable furniture looking over the gardens, vegetated pools, sun-drenched clattering palms and then out across the Bay of Banderas far below and beyond. I have difficulty imagining a scene that could be more serenely beautiful

Room Tip: Check out options; a huge variation exists
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Earthspirit_8
Also consider these accommodations in or near Yelapa
Hotel Lagunita
Hotel Lagunita
#2 of 4 in Yelapa
Hotelito Mio
Hotelito Mio
#1 of 1 in Cabo Corrientes
Garza Blanca Preserve, Resort & Spa
Garza Blanca Preserve, Resort & ...
#13 of 123 in Puerto Vallarta
Villa Azalea - Luxury B&B
Villa Azalea - Luxury B&B
#70 of 123 in Puerto Vallarta
Casa Bahia Bonita
Casa Bahia Bonita
#5 of 6 in Yelapa
Pura Vida Wellness Retreat

Been to Verana? Share your experiences!