“Website Promises, But Okley Doesn't Deliver”
Review of MiraMar Excursions

MiraMar Excursions
Ranked #2 of 10 things to do in Yelapa
More attraction details
Owner description: MiraMar Excursions offers friendly, local service based out of Yelapa. We truly enjoy giving personal attention and showing you the real Mexico. Check our our website for more information about all the fun trips and activities we offer. Our boat is called Okley.
Useful Information: Activities for older children
Reviewed January 15, 2012

First, let me state that Fernando, who has received rave reviews on TripAdvisor, is no longer giving tours (at least that’s what he told us). He has opened a new restaurant, and his brother Rodolfo is leading the excursions.

We weren’t told about this switch until we arrived in Yelapa and checked into Fernando’s casa. Two weeks before our trip, we had contacted Kendra and arranged for two tours by Fernando, and she hadn’t mentioned that he was no longer available.

We were only in Yelapa for two days and were supposed to do a half-day snorkeling trip on our first day. Instead, Fernando tried to convince us that we shouldn’t do anything that day—he suggested that we just relax and get to know the town. His motive became apparent when we learned that the Okley boat was no longer available for our snorkeling tour. Instead, it had been given to another family (with 6 people) who wanted to go to the Marietas Islands. When we said that we really wanted to go snorkeling as promised, Fernando said that we could join the other family’s trip, and he offered a $5 discount. Rodolfo took us out to the islands; however, he didn’t try to fish along the way (as promised on the Okley website, for fresh fish cerviche), and he was not very engaging as a guide. The snorkeling trip was “good”, but not terrific, and it was not what we had expected.

On our second day, we were supposed to have a guided trip with Fernando to the Tacomata Falls, with deep pools that you could jump into from high rocks. Although Fernando told us that Rudolfo would now be our guide, Rudolfo did not want to take us! He announced on the way back from the Marietas Islands that he had to “stay with the boat” the next day and that perhaps someone else would be our guide. The real reason seemed to be that the cost of the tour ($25 per person, with 4 of us) was not enough to warrant his time, as he did not tell us that he couldn’t be the guide until he found out that the other family (of 6) was not interested in doing the hike with us. In the end, we opted not to go to the waterfall. We felt like we were being shuffled off from one person to the next, like some kind of burden, instead of being treated like valued customers.

Beware that if you reserve a tour with Okley, it may not happen. I would advise to look elsewhere in the first place.

3  Thank kathysjourneys
MiraMar_Yelapa, Manager at MiraMar Excursions, responded to this reviewResponded January 17, 2012

Thank you very much for your comments. We appreciate your feedback. I think a great deal of this boils down to miscommunication and I'm terribly sorry about this. Fernando does still lead tours (he took a fishing trip out this morning). He and his brother both lead Okley tours; it is a joint business. Sometimes they even get to go out together, but often it is one or the other based on their other work responsibilities in town. When asked about scheduling trips with Fernando I assumed it was meant with Okley in general - I'm so sorry it wasn't clear that they both lead tours. We will update the description to be sure this is clear.

We value all of our guests - no matter the size of family or group - and we apologize that this didn't come across. We do only have one boat, so we generally put things on a tentative schedule and finalize everything upon guests arrival. So often folks need to change their plans. We also do schedule hard bookings ahead of time if indicated that that is preferred --- ie customers come from PV for a trip with Okley for the day fairly often. It is my fault that I didn't understand you wanted to do these specific trips on specific set days and wanted those set in stone. Again, I am sorry. Fernando does suggest that folks just relax and enjoy their first day because he doesn't want anyone to feel rushed and/or pushed into activities. He tries to be very sensitive about this. I'm glad you let him know that you really did want to go snorkeling that day.

We all met to discuss and try to remember exactly what happened during your visit. We are terribly sorry about everything that you experienced and hope to be able to make it up to you one day. In the meantime, we will focus on being very clear with our communication and will learn from your valuable review.

All the best and again, many thanks for your feedback.

Fernando, Rodolfo, and Kendra

Reviewed December 17, 2011

Thanks so much Fernando for the boat trip. We learned so much about the area. Catching a fish was great and the ceviche you made was so yummy.

1  Thank ljb2Canada
Reviewed December 16, 2011

Went to Yelapa with family and friends for my birthday in Feb 2011. My boyfriend organized a fishing trip with Fernando and said he had a great time. The next day, I asked Fernando to plan some activities for the day of my birthday and he ended up organizing one of the best birthday celebrations I have ever had. We started off with a boat trip to a secluded beach, disembarked and hiked through the beautiful vegetation, up to the Tecomata waterfall. We spent a few hours there, jumping off the rocks and swinging Tarzan-style from the ropes. When we walked back to the beach, we were greeted by refreshing, freshly cut coconuts. After that, we went back on the boat to another beach with a tiny restaurant, where Fernando and his brother, Rodolfo, had pre-arranged for them to prepare some vegetarian food for myself and fresh ceviche for the rest. They set up some tables and chairs directly on the sand with the water lapping at out feet. We were fed the most delicious hand-made tortillas, beans, quesadillas, guacamole, salsa, and ice-cold beer. Simple but AMAZING and unforgettable! Muchisimas gracias Fernando, Kendra y Rodolfo! I want to go back and do ALL of their tours!

1  Thank kriskali
Reviewed October 21, 2011

IMO- As soon as you land in Yelapa ask for Fernando. He'll sort you out proper and make sure you don't get had. And if you like fishing. Him and his brother know what their doing and will ensure that your experience is 5 stars. He speaks English perfectly and just has a very personable vibe. You'll like him. Thanks Fernando we had and excellent time.

1  Thank Mack S
Reviewed June 20, 2011

As a resident of Puerto Vallarta, I've had the chance to do a fair amount of excursions and touring. So far, none have been as top notch as with Fernando and Rudolfo and their boat the Oakley. I've gone with my wife and 2 year old daughter out to the Marietas Islands in the Bay of Banderas. We snorkeled, hung on the beach, saw dolphins, and ate fresh ceviche made by the fellas.

I recently went with fishing with my father in law. They took us down to the edge of the bay, in front of a small village called Chimo, where the Bonita and yellowfin tuna just hopped in the boat all day. We then stopped off in a pueblita and cooked our tuna, lazed in the surf and washed it all done with frosty Pacificos. A great day with great guys. We'll be back soon.

1  Thank MikeH1975