“Dirty dangerous and not appropriate for children”
Review of El Jardin Yelapa

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Yelapa
El Jardin Yelapa
Ranked #3 of 10 Specialty Lodging in Yelapa
Reviewed August 9, 2013

I was horrified when I arrived at Casa Luna, which is run by the caretaker of El Jardin "Eco retreat". It wasn't "Eco" in anyway except that they compost and recycle a little. The caretaker was lewd and inappropriate with myself and my guest. He even made lewd comments about my 4 year old daughter. He has since been kicked out of this wonderful pueblo but I didn't feel like the owner cared one bit that we were terrified and never returned my money even though we had to move out early as the caretaker was harrassing us daily.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends
4  Thank LindaandIris
chrissib, Owner at El Jardin Yelapa, responded to this reviewResponded August 22, 2013

I would like to reply to this review and this reviewer, although I have not had much l luck with communication to her. I have responded multiple times to this guest. We have acknowledged that her time spent with us was not satisfactory and in fact offered her half of her money back as a guest courtesy. The summer caretaker whom she is referring to has had nothing but glowing reviews from other guests, however I understand and have acknowledged that sometimes people just don’t connect well. There have been many unfounded accusations, but in my communication with others have found no rational basis in these. Since I was not there I can only ascertain that negative reactions were experienced from both parties and hence her stay with us was not good. Her comment about this man being "kicked out" of the pueblo is not true, he left for the States because he was not prepared for the summer heat.
As to her comments on El Jardin’s Eco resort status, it seems that she may have not allowed herself to find out more about what we do. We are rated as a 4 star Eco retreat from three international agencies. We have a full environmental policy. We recycle as much as possible in the confines of our location. There is a composting policy along with energy use and water use policies. All soap containers are reused and refilled from a central economy sized container. All soap used is low phosphate. However, we are not perfect. There are times when a trip into the city to buy supplies is not possible and supplies are purchased from one of the small stores in the pueblo that might not carry the products we would most recommend. We are trying in as many ways as possible to lower our carbon footprint and make this place as environmentally sustainable as we can.
We encourage this guest to give us constructive feedback on how to make these homes better equipped for our guests. Some of the best ideas have come from the folks who stay here.

Reviewed April 7, 2013

I had a very mixed time at El Jardin. I stayed at the Hibiscus House, which I would not recommend. It is basically a shack with curtains as walls and has no privacy. The curtains didn't close so everyone could see you. It also allowed all of the night lights into it so that your sleep was disrupted by those lights. It also didn't have a bathroom, you had to share. I also found ticks in my bed. To be fair, I had gone on a hike and I could have brought the ticks home with me. The managers change the sheets but over the next several days, I kept finding ticks, fewer, but there were still ticks. Bottom line, it is a nice place, but do not stay at the Hibiscus House. The locals also said I paid way too much for what I got. I am going to go back to Yelapa, but I will not stay there. Yelapa, itself is a lovely little place.

Room Tip: Don't stay in Hibisucs House.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled solo
3  Thank R2rierdan

I will agree that the Hibiscus House has some challanges and I apolgise to this guest for their dis comfort. We are in the process of designing a new structure and will rebuild it soon. It is actually more of a multi-purpose room. The curtains are designed that it can be opened up for a group class or curtained off for a massage room or in a pinch, it can be used as a bedroom. It is inexpensive and is only used for folks who would like a little more economic accommodation. It isn't advertized as having a bathroom. As to the ticks, I don't know, Yelapa is surrounded by jungle We have looked into the problem and appreciate the feedback from this guest. We are taking measures to solve this.

Reviewed March 16, 2013

We thoroughly enjoyed our stay at El Jardin. Our accommodation was the Eagle's Nest and we were perched up on a rock with a stunning view. The hanging bed rocked us to sleep and we would wake up to see the sunrise while lying in bed.

There is a large open communal kitchen and living area which we really liked and is a great opportunity to compare stories with other travelers and locals. Although we ate most dinners out we did have one group dinner. We travelled with two other families and we all stayed at different locations. Next time we will all stay at El Jardin as there is separate accommodation for us all and the common area for us to eat and play.

The whole of El Jardin was clean and well maintained. Having a host on site was a bonus as any questions were answered right away whether they were questions about the accommodation or Yelapa.

Location wise it was ideal in that a few steps away is a great spot to swim and further down the path is the village. The walk into the village is so pleasant as the trail hugs the shore and then turns inland where there are shops and restaurants.

Yelapa itself was a genuine fishing village. There is no road access and this is likely the reason that the location has retained its charm. The locals were friendly and kind. No lack of good spots to eat.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank colleen S
Reviewed January 20, 2013

Imagine a village in Paradise with burros instead of cars. Instead of on roads, you'll wander and probably get pleasantly lost on cobblestone footpaths as they wind through homes and restaurants. Children run around safely. Dogs scurry everywhere. Every restaurant is better than the last, the tables all outside. Fairly recent Ex Pats make a living side by side with welcoming indigenous families who have been there for more than 500 years. Tourists are there to be, not to buy. Try the boat trip with Ferdinand to the Marietta's: near -- at your toes, the beach alive with tiny hermit crabs if you sit still to look; fresh ceviche with fish caught by Paul and guacamole made right there; on the horizon, on the boat trip back, in all directions . . there were whales blowing, one breaching and one even lobtailing. Make sure you hike to the waterfall and take a dip. On the way there, you'll walk through a river valley of homes sprinkled with tended gardens, unkempt trash, roosters and other pets.

To get to El Jardin, you will walk along a wave washed path along the bay. You could not imagine a more beautiful place to go to sleep and wake up - swaying on a hanging bed, looking through our toes at the bay. In January not even a net was needed. Staying with Chrissi, the owner, is like visiting a beloved college friend. The finest ping pong table in the western hemisphere looks out over Banderos Bay and calls to locals and visitors on many afternoons. On Wifi, we even joyfully toasted our our Denver Broncos with shots of Tequila while they lost their tragic playoff game the the Ravens. El Jardin was the perfect place for our family of 4, including our 22 year old son and 19 year old daughter, to be together. We are just sorry we missed the Saturday night dance at the Yacht Club that apparently brings together every dancing spirit from near and far - cancelled we heard because an elderly village man lost his wife the day before. Yelapa is a rare, precious and unpolished gem. El Jardin was home away from home.

A few practical tips - ONLY buy one way water taxi tickets; do not be tempted by the aggressive water taxi brokers in Puerto Vallarta. Only buy tickets from Sergio in the office to the left as you approach the pier. And be careful about food and water. Read everything Chrissi sends you ahead of time - especially the part about no ATMs in town.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed August 19, 2012

We had a wonderful time at El Jardin just kicking back doing a whole lot of nothing! Rocky was a fantastic host who's hospitality went way beyond any expectations. We stayed in the Eagle's Nest which was a quaint pelapa with a beautiful view of Yelapa with a cute balcony to take it all in. The resort has a great chill out area with hammocks and a big open air kitchen that you can use at your leisure. We did get a little rained on but hey, it's rainy season do it's to be expected! Highly recommend this place, don't miss out.

• Stayed: August 2012
1  Thank 30greenfeet
Reviewed July 14, 2012

El Jardin is located in the very peaceful area of Jalisco, Yelapa. Its easy to get to and only a short walk away from the town, which in itself is so small and peaceful its easy to miss. Its maybe a 15 minute walk to the main beach

The accommodation itself is rustic, and wlecoming. The whole place has a laid back feel to it, with hammocks to laze in, a small beach just a stones throw away, and an area to catch some sun and enjoy a margarita if it takes your fancy

The host who I met, Rocky, went above and beyond what a host should do and was great at answering any questions and giving recommendations. Thanks to him it felt like home from home, and the whole weekend was like a taste of Heaven and at the same time supporting eco-tourism and very affordable.

All my communication in booking and paying was easy and no hassel.

I honestly cannot find fault

Room Tip: I think all rooms have a sea view, and are just as peaceful and comfortale as each other
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank Laura H
Reviewed May 7, 2012

Our family lives and works in Puerto Vallarta Mexico. Yelapa, Mexico is about an hour away by bus and water taxi from us. So we planned our first overnight getaway to Yelapa and El Jardin was our choice for overnight accommodations just this past weekend.

We were looking for something rustic, charming and a place that was comfortable for our family.

My husband and two teenagers, age 13 and 15, had a wonderful and very memorable experience. We loved that El Jardin was situated on the ¨point¨ and had a great smaller beach..(playa Isabel) about a 2 minute walk from El Jardin. It was also about a 10 minute walk to the actual bustle of the city. Lovely walk along a stone and dirt path that follows the ocean.

We stayed in Casa Banana and we shared a room with fantastic views and comfy beds. Our cabana had 2 singles and 1 hanging queen bed, all with mosquito netting and lots of cozy bedding. Towels and extra beach blankets were provided. There are 2 shared bathrooms on site but i did notice that a couple of the rooms had their own bathrooms too. Our room also had bottled water available, books for reading, mirror and plenty of space around the beds.

The on-site staff. She was wonderful and full of information about Yelapa and El Jardin. We cant wait to return!

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Yelapa
Hotel Lagunita
Casa Pericos
Casa Pericos
#2 of 6 in Yelapa
Pura Vida Wellness Retreat

Been to El Jardin Yelapa? Share your experiences!