All reviews canopy camp composting toilets artistic touches hanging bed always felt safe lounge area in town view of the ocean puerta vallarta amazing place yoga retreat canyon acupressure chris beverly ecological privacy
Reviewed February 16, 2018

We brought a group of birdwatchers to rent out all of Casa Central and make full use of the kitchen facilities. What a great choice this was for us! Our group quickly adjusted to the composting toilets which actually keep this site cleaner than most. The vistas, the beautiful flowers, amazing trees with an ever-changing cast of birds, and abundant butterflies provided the most lovely environment. On our first day Melanie brought us a big bunch of fresh bananas from the trees on site. We also made good use of the snorkel equipment provided to tour the colorful fish at the convenient nearby Playa Isabel mini-beach. The cool breezes at night keep the bugs away and the constant waves lull you to sleep. There are wonderful artistic touches everywhere you look and even after 12 days I was still spotting some new to me. Janaki and I both had therapeutic massages from Beverly on-site overlooking an amazing little canyon with the sounds of water and birds all around. I'm sure none of us will ever forget our stay at Casa Isabel. We're already making our reservations for next time!

Room Tip: Very nuanced. Each room is unique. Casa Central is best for groups.
  • Stayed: February 2018, traveled with friends
Reviewed February 9, 2018

This was our first visit to Puerta Vallarta and to Yelapa. We were at Casa Isabel as part of a writing/yoga retreat. The accommodations were eclectic -- each room was unique in a special way. Our room had a refrigerator & kitchen, which we didn't use because breakfast and lunch were included with our retreat. The location was a 15 minute (absolutely beautiful ) walk into the town of Yelapa for dinner. Beverly the owner, was very welcoming and gives an excellent massage (blend of acupressure and rolfing.)

• Stayed: January 2018, traveled with friends
Reviewed November 7, 2017 via mobile

My weeklong stay at Casa Isabel was the highlight of my trip to Mexico. Nestled in the forest, mere seconds from the beach, my friends and I enjoyed wonderful food and relaxation. Casa Isabel is comfortably separated from "downtown" giving you the peace and beauty of nature with only a few minutes walk to town. Casa Isabel is wonderful and I look forward to coming back! Until then the sound of the forest river and the rocking of the waves will find me in my dreams.

Stayed: November 2017, traveled with friends
Reviewed May 4, 2017

I've stayed here three times; each time in a different palapa. First of all, Isabel's is an artistic wonder. Every square inch of this place has an artistic detail. You can walk around here for a month and keep seeing different objects cast into the stone. Chris and Beverly are exceptional hosts and exemplary human beings. They live their lives with a respect for the environment that most people only talk about. As far as the palapas go, there is not one that doesn't have a ridiculously amazing view of Yelapa bay. At Isabel's you can live without walls but still have complete privacy. If you are missing human interaction, you can go to the communal kitchen/lounge area and meet fascinating people from around the globe. And if you are lucky, you'll get to hear Chris play piano while Beverly cures what ails you with her acupressure. Now do remember people; you are in a remote village where the jungle meets the sea. You will be in nature without walls and you will not have all of your North American comforts. This is THE reason that most of us come to Yelapa. Isabel's is the perfect place: safe, spectacular, relaxing, and a feeling of wonderment.

• Stayed: March 2017, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Miriamalicia
Reviewed April 21, 2017 via mobile

This is a review of our week spent in Canopy Camp, one of the units available at Casa Isabel. I write this review feeling a little torn, because there are elements of canopy camp & casa Isabel that are awesome; however, our broken bed and the lack of effort in fixing the problem put a real damper on our stay.

When we first arrived Bev came and met us, asked if we had any questions and collected the remainder of our payment. She realized that the hanging bed was broken right away, commenting that it would need to be fixed. It didn't get fixed that day, instead we slept on a crooked bed that banged against the cement all night and then fully broke in the morning. We went and found Bev and Chris to ask that the bed be fixed. I wrote this understanding that our trip fell over a holiday and parts to fix it, if not kept on hand, might be tricky to find. Chris somewhat fixed the bed... The clamps used were not the proper size, were finger tight and used on rusted wire. After it broke a second in the night my partner fixed it using random things found within the place. Bev nor Chris came to check on the bed. I understand giving people privacy, but I also understand hospitality. We saw Bev and Chris out for dinner the next night and they jokingly asked how the bed was doing. We said it was still broken and were assured, again, that it would be fixed. Another full day passed and it didn't get fixed, which was frustrating. If they didn't have the means to fix the bed, which they knew from day one, perhaps offering an alternative, such as moving rooms would have helped. It truly felt like they didn't care, and sleep and bedtime connection is important during a couples holiday.

Canopy camp has the most beautiful view and the space is perfect for a couple. It gets a nice breeze and it's the most amazing place to wake up in the morning. It gets good shade, we spent many afternoons just chilling out reading and enjoying the view. We always felt safe and it was mostly private, there are shared walls and a balcony of another unit can see directly into the bathroom, but we weren't too bothered. The camp needs a days work, it's a little ramshackle and is held together haphazardly with black twine. It is not a unit to stay with children, as it has a sharp drop off in the main living space with no barrier/railing.

There were lizards that would visit during the day, lots of hummingbirds and parrots. No sign of scorpions, but we did have a sneaky skunk we named 'stink rat' cruise through our place during the night. It was like camping, which we really enjoyed.

The beach is 50 feet away, it's small but very nice. Local families hung out there during the day. It's much sandier, softer and more quiet than the main beaches in town. Beware, there are jellyfish and we were mildly stung daily, but it was the same all over Yelapa.

I've tried to give my most honest review based on our experience. We had high hopes, but how the bed was dealt with was enough for us to not want to return.

Stayed: April 2017, traveled as a couple