“Hippie but fun”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Casa Isabel

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Yelapa
Casa Isabel
Ranked #7 of 10 Specialty Lodging in Yelapa
Seattle, Washington
“Hippie but fun”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 25, 2012

Came here last April for holiday and had a really great time.

The owners are extremely eccentric and the joint has a hippie vibe. That said, everything was clean, lots of towels and kitchen was well stocked. Water taxi drops you off in front of the building and the private beach is nice.

We bought groceries and cooked all but 1 meal at Casa Isabel. Highly recommend taking spices and bringing some groceries from Puerto Vallarta, if staying for a more than a day or two.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank appyrae

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
Atlanta
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 6, 2012

The Beach House at Casa Isabel is right on the water with a beautiful flowering privacy hedge so that people from the private little beach out front, Playa Isabel, can’t see in but you still have a great view of the bay. There is a private yard out in front where you can sit in seclusion in a lounger to gaze at the night sky while listening to the waves or you can take a lounge chair over to the other side of the yard where you can sit under the shade of the trees in the jungle with an unobstructed view of Playa Isabel. Most of the time the beach is deserted but often during the hottest part of the day the locals will bring their children to play and cool down which can be fun to watch or listen to. The Beach House is a very cozy and self-contained palapa with everything you will need for a comfortable vacation. It is perfect for a lone traveler or for a couple. Everything is open to the outside so you can catch the ocean breezes and there is a fan available if you need it during the hot summer. The Beach House is built right into the side of the hill by the beach and integrated into the jungle. The shower has a roof made of bamboo branches next to the fire pit area among the bamboo trees. The compost and flush toilet area has a boulder overhang for a ceiling and rock walls with a fantastic view of the ocean. The living area has the kitchen, dining area and bed where you have a lovely view of the ocean, even when lying in bed you can see the water.
The jungle on the Casa Isabel property is the most beautiful of The Point. All of the palapas of Casa Isabel are very unique and are constructed to blend in with the environment, along with being eco-friendly. Every palapa is private with their own spectacular view of the surrounding jungle and ocean. The Beach House along with Elemental is right next to the ocean so the sound of the waves is louder there than in the other palapas. Yolocalli is a little further away from the ocean up the hill and is near the stream and waterfall next to the canyon. It has a wonderful view of the ocean through the jungle trees with the soothing sound of the waterfall and waves. This location picks up the Wi-Fi from Casa Central really well. All of the palapas are designed to have line of sight privacy from each other.
Yelapa is a very relaxing and healing environment and after 2 weeks I felt more healthy and refreshed than I had for longer than I can remember. Yelapa has a built in exercise program because you have to walk where ever you want to go or you can take a water taxi across the bay from Casa Isabel to go to the main beach or pueblo for shopping and restaurants. I always felt safe in Yelapa and while staying at Casa Isabel. The locals and expatriates who live in Yelapa are very friendly and interesting. I would stay at Casa Isabel again, in any of the palapas, next time I’m in Yelapa. Each one is beautifully and thoughtfully built with very unique and creative touches and can be very inspirational for an artist of any level. But most important of all, I was able to have an ideal vacation there. I was able to have all of the alone time I needed without feeling lonely. Beverly and Chris were always very helpful for anything I needed. I would highly recommend Beverly’s acupressure massage treatments and to go tandem paragliding with Chris. I also recommend the services of Yelapa Connexion for fridge stocking before your arrival and for Carolyn’s other services, she was also very important in making my vacation wonderful.

Room Tip: The sound of the ocean can be very loud at the Beach House and Elemental. Yolocalli and Pepe's h...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
Brooklyn, New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 25, 2012

Yelapa is an experience for the intrepid traveler--this is not a luxury experience. It is, however, magical and special. We saw humpback whales every day during our stay in the bay. I stayed in Casa Deanna with friends, which was sunny, private and had wonderful views. It was a bit of a hike, but more hiking=more sun+more privacy here. I stayed one night in the Nook, and would not recommend unless you can tolerate mold. I can't, and ended up (unsuccessfully) trying to sleep outside in a hammock. The hosts were very welcoming and accommodating, even inviting me to join their dinner (since I was solo) my last night. I would go back. Bring flashlights or headlamps, the town does not have many street lights and the path back is rocky/uneven. Bring sturdy shoes.

Room Tip: the closer you are to the beach, the less private and sunny, but also easier to come back to from di...
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled with friends
Isabelcasa, Owner at Casa Isabel, responded to this review, March 15, 2013
Thanks for the vote of confidence. We are so sorry about mold in the Nook, and have become hyper-alert to the state of the woven-mat "patates" which make up the walls. They were fresh and new, and thus moist and susceptible to mold in our humid jungle. We also instituted more cross-ventilation. The Nook is our gift to the budget traveller, continuing Isabel's desire that almost anyone can afford to stay at Casa Isabel.
Seattle
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 24, 2012

My husband and I visited Casa Isabel last May/June and had a lovely time. The property is gorgeous - lushly landscaped with beautiful tropical plants. The palapas are open-air and have ocean views. We stayed at Annie's, which has a full kitchen area, sitting area, and bedroom area, as well as a smaller bedroom area where kids could stay. One of my favorite things was the shower - a beautiful little nook with an ocean view. The solar hot water worked great, but there was also gas-heated hot water available as a backup. We really appreciated all the attention to detail and ecological awareness in the construction and landscaping of the place. The toilets are composting, which we thought was great - not stinky at all - but if you aren't willing to rough it just a little bit, it's probably not for you. We made friends with other visiting couples at the Casa Central, which is filled with beautiful indigenous Huichol artwork. One of the highlights of our trip was going tandem paragliding with one of the managers, Chris - an AMAZING experience that we highly recommend! We also had bodywork from Beverly. She cured a migraine that had been bugging me for a week! When we were there, power was intermittent (on for several hours every afternoon/evening, but often out during the day) as there was work underway on the village's whole power supply (we hear this happens more often in the off-season, when we were there). When the power is on, there is wireless internet available. I recommend bringing a couple of good flashlights for when the power is off. Personally, I really appreciate that they don't run a loud, stinky generator when the power is out - it's just out when it's out, and on when it's on. Nothing worse than a generator ruining a quiet vacation in a beautiful place, in my opinion! But again, if you're a person who needs constant, available electricity, this place may not be for you. We slept great in the hanging bed, which had a large mosquito net that you could tuck under the mattress after getting in. The little beach at the foot of the property, Playa Isabel, is sweet and has much nicer sand than the big beach in town. You can snorkel and kayak right from the beach. During the week, it was pretty quiet with just a few guests from Casa Isabel and other guesthouses there. On the weekend, local Yelapan families came to enjoy the beach, too, which was also fun - sweet to see whole families, from grandma to little kids, enjoying the water together.
We loved Casa Isabel and Yelapa so much that we're coming back to live here for 6 months this winter! Bev and Chris are wonderful, helpful hosts full of local knowledge, and Casa Isabel is truly a magical, beautiful spot.

Room Tip: All the palapas are beautiful. The one closest to Playa Isabel is very close to the little beach and...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Mangobee
Santa Fe,NM
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 7, 2012

We stayed in the beach house palapa, thus I can credit the nightly sound of the surf for the best and longest sleep I have had in decades. Too, I enjoyed the way the jungle scene was part of the experience. Nothing like taking a shower with one wall being a huge stone with plants growing around it.
The palapa was just perfect for a very simple, slow moving week. And once we found the fresh shrimp at the laundry mat in Yelapa, no more problems. New Year's Eve was memorable at the Yatch Club and the walk back to Isabel's with our flashlights was plenty of excitement for two senior citizens.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
Santa Fe, NM
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 7, 2012

I have had the pleasure of staying at Casa Isabel now three times since 2007, and I have made arrangements to go again in Feb.of 2013.......this time, for a month.
It is impossible to say which aspect of the experience is the best: the 'Garden of Eden' lush environment; the hospitality of Bev, Judy and all others; the way I can sleep there like no other place on earth, or the daily walk into Yelapa for fun and food.
Even the compost toilet, and the physical effort and more time it takes to do everything....adds to, rather than takes from each day.
I find that I can sit for hours watching the water, while my mind gives up control and allows my spirit it's time with me.
In 2013, during my longer stay, I plan to learn more about Isabel Jordan in the hopes of writing a book that will be inspired by her extraordinary life. Yelapa fairly reeks with book worthy stories, and I can't think of a better place to write than in the Casa Central, where I can look over my computer to a scene equivalent in beauty to any place on earth.

Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
San Francisco, California, United States
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 8, 2012

I indicated in my booking request that privacy was paramount - we got the beach unit in which everyone on the beach and everyone in any vicinity could see us when we were upright - 360 degree view. Beach is NOT private - tons of people. That's FINE - just not what was expected. Bed was EXTREMELY uncomfortable AND actually broke in the middle of the night. And - absolutely - NO insect protection. The mosquito net is set up in a way that actually provides more opportunity for insects to get in than to stay out. Appreciate the ecologically-friendly aspect, but feel that place was misrepresented. Also - if it rains - ALL your stuff (including in the locker) will get wet.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Tee H
Isabelcasa, Owner at Casa Isabel, responded to this review, March 15, 2013
This black cloud contains pockets of truth among layers of nonsense, and would likely not have formed had I honored Masha's only on-site complaint, that they had been unable to return to Casa Isabel for their second of two nights, and thus wanted a refund. Go figure...
Also consider these accommodations in or near Yelapa
Hotel Lagunita
Tlalpan
Radisson Paraiso Hotel Mexico City
Casa Bahia Bonita
#5 of 6 in Yelapa

Been to Casa Isabel? Share your experiences!