Casa Isabel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation but we can search other options in Yelapa
See available hotels
  • Breakfast included
Hotelito Mio(Cabo Corrientes)
Hotel Yatzil(Puerto Vallarta)
View Hotel
Hacienda Cora Golf & Spa(Puerto Vallarta)
View Hotel
Villa Azalea - Luxury B&B(Puerto Vallarta)
View Hotel
Barcelo Puerto Vallarta(Puerto Vallarta)
  • Breakfast included
  • Pool
All reviewscanopy campcomposting toiletsartistic touchesalways felt safehanging bedlounge areain townview of the oceanpuerta vallartaamazing placeyoga retreatcanyonacupressurechrisbeverlyecologicalprivacy
FilterAll languages
Reviewed October 24, 2012

My husband and I visited Casa Isabel last May/June and had a lovely time. The property is gorgeous - lushly landscaped with beautiful tropical plants. The palapas are open-air and have ocean views. We stayed at Annie's, which has a full kitchen area, sitting area, and bedroom area, as well as a smaller bedroom area where kids could stay. One of my favorite things was the shower - a beautiful little nook with an ocean view. The solar hot water worked great, but there was also gas-heated hot water available as a backup. We really appreciated all the attention to detail and ecological awareness in the construction and landscaping of the place. The toilets are composting, which we thought was great - not stinky at all - but if you aren't willing to rough it just a little bit, it's probably not for you. We made friends with other visiting couples at the Casa Central, which is filled with beautiful indigenous Huichol artwork. One of the highlights of our trip was going tandem paragliding with one of the managers, Chris - an AMAZING experience that we highly recommend! We also had bodywork from Beverly. She cured a migraine that had been bugging me for a week! When we were there, power was intermittent (on for several hours every afternoon/evening, but often out during the day) as there was work underway on the village's whole power supply (we hear this happens more often in the off-season, when we were there). When the power is on, there is wireless internet available. I recommend bringing a couple of good flashlights for when the power is off. Personally, I really appreciate that they don't run a loud, stinky generator when the power is out - it's just out when it's out, and on when it's on. Nothing worse than a generator ruining a quiet vacation in a beautiful place, in my opinion! But again, if you're a person who needs constant, available electricity, this place may not be for you. We slept great in the hanging bed, which had a large mosquito net that you could tuck under the mattress after getting in. The little beach at the foot of the property, Playa Isabel, is sweet and has much nicer sand than the big beach in town. You can snorkel and kayak right from the beach. During the week, it was pretty quiet with just a few guests from Casa Isabel and other guesthouses there. On the weekend, local Yelapan families came to enjoy the beach, too, which was also fun - sweet to see whole families, from grandma to little kids, enjoying the water together.
We loved Casa Isabel and Yelapa so much that we're coming back to live here for 6 months this winter! Bev and Chris are wonderful, helpful hosts full of local knowledge, and Casa Isabel is truly a magical, beautiful spot.

Room Tip: All the palapas are beautiful. The one closest to Playa Isabel is very close to the little beach and footpath, so if you want lots of privacy that one probably isn't for you. However, it is the only one that you don't have to climb a hill to get to, so if you have any limited mobility issues, it would be perfect.
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Mangobee
Reviewed October 7, 2012

We stayed in the beach house palapa, thus I can credit the nightly sound of the surf for the best and longest sleep I have had in decades. Too, I enjoyed the way the jungle scene was part of the experience. Nothing like taking a shower with one wall being a huge stone with plants growing around it.
The palapa was just perfect for a very simple, slow moving week. And once we found the fresh shrimp at the laundry mat in Yelapa, no more problems. New Year's Eve was memorable at the Yatch Club and the walk back to Isabel's with our flashlights was plenty of excitement for two senior citizens.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 7, 2012

I have had the pleasure of staying at Casa Isabel now three times since 2007, and I have made arrangements to go again in Feb.of 2013.......this time, for a month.
It is impossible to say which aspect of the experience is the best: the 'Garden of Eden' lush environment; the hospitality of Bev, Judy and all others; the way I can sleep there like no other place on earth, or the daily walk into Yelapa for fun and food.
Even the compost toilet, and the physical effort and more time it takes to do everything....adds to, rather than takes from each day.
I find that I can sit for hours watching the water, while my mind gives up control and allows my spirit it's time with me.
In 2013, during my longer stay, I plan to learn more about Isabel Jordan in the hopes of writing a book that will be inspired by her extraordinary life. Yelapa fairly reeks with book worthy stories, and I can't think of a better place to write than in the Casa Central, where I can look over my computer to a scene equivalent in beauty to any place on earth.

Stayed: January 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 8, 2012

I indicated in my booking request that privacy was paramount - we got the beach unit in which everyone on the beach and everyone in any vicinity could see us when we were upright - 360 degree view. Beach is NOT private - tons of people. That's FINE - just not what was expected. Bed was EXTREMELY uncomfortable AND actually broke in the middle of the night. And - absolutely - NO insect protection. The mosquito net is set up in a way that actually provides more opportunity for insects to get in than to stay out. Appreciate the ecologically-friendly aspect, but feel that place was misrepresented. Also - if it rains - ALL your stuff (including in the locker) will get wet.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Tee H
Isabelcasa, Owner at Casa Isabel, responded to this reviewResponded March 15, 2013

This black cloud contains pockets of truth among layers of nonsense, and would likely not have formed had I honored Masha's only on-site complaint, that they had been unable to return to Casa Isabel for their second of two nights, and thus wanted a refund. Go figure...

Reviewed April 5, 2012

My husband and I have traveled all over the world and our experience in Yelapa was one of our most memorable. This was due in part to staying at Casa Isabel. It is a beautiful and unique piece of paradise. If you are looking for something different and romantic, I'd highly recommend Casa Isabel. There is a range of accommodation choices to suit various budgets. They are all lovely and artistically designed. You can use the website to select your favourite. We enjoyed cooking in the kitchen at night and swimming at the little beach (Playa Isabel) during the day. It's really geared for adults, due to the steep climb, open concept casas and tranquil surroundings. The grounds are lush and beautiful and every effort is made toward sustainability. The composting toilets are not luxury but they work perfectly and eliminate the septic problems encountered in so many small, isolated communities. Bring your free spirit and sense of adventure with you. Yelapa is a very special place. We will definitely return, and when we do we will look forward to staying at Casa Isabel again. Thank you Judy and Beverly for your wonderful hospitality!

Room Tip: Check out the website. There are plenty of photos. Email the owners and describe exactly what you are looking for - absolute privacy or the opportunity to meet new people, for example - and I am sure they will be able to guide you toward something perfect.
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple