All reviews lovely hotel full english off the beaten track few weeks restaurant menu both mornings bridal suite happy hour sussex countryside visiting the area short drive return visit large room fish and chips a lovely stay warm welcome afternoon tea
Selected filters
Reviewed March 31, 2017

I stayed here on 17,18,&19 April 2017 while visiting Goodwood. It was my third annual visit; the first 2 had been fine. This time standards had fallen. On arrival (room 1) I found the bathroom to be rather 'tired': bath peeling; shower glass seal hanging off; safety handle slightly loose; shower head rail very loose; and mirror light loose and not working. I left a message at reception, but without result. In order comfortably to shave the next morning, I repaired the light myself; but left a further message at reception. This time the shower rail was tightened, and the manageress commented: 'Think you for repairing the light. My electrician has been trying for ages, but couldn't do it!'
We ate in on Friday night. The service and food were fine (a 'Special Curry Evening'). Saturday we ate out, but returned on Sunday hungry and tired from a long day at Goodwood. When I asked the time of dinner, I was told: 'Oh, we don't serve dinner on Sundays!' There was nowhere within walking distance to eat, and only one pub and a chip shop in Chiltington. Had we been warned when we booked, or at the very least, when we left after breakfast on Sunday morning, we could have eaten at the track before leaving Goodwood. In the event, together with another disappointed couple, we had to do the best we could locally.
Finally, the musak: too loud, and far from restful. (Why do hotels think it helps?) It was turned down each time I asked, but even in the 'reading room' and at breakfast it normally played at uncomfortable levels.
I wrote to the manageress on 23/3/17 setting out these comments.She did not reply. My advice: stay elsewhere!

• Trip type: Traveled with friends
1  Thank howard b
simon_green25, General Manager at Roundabout Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded April 5, 2017

Good afternoon Mr Howard

We are in the process of getting the last of the few bathroom newly fitted and as I said we did look at you light above you bathroom sink and we could not figure out what was wrong "not knowing that the light only works when the cover is put back on" and respectfully I did thank you for this.

In regards to your letter you had attached your cc slip demanding a discount on your bill over a week later and we do not seem this is debatable just because the light did not work for simply one day.

Deirdrie Lee

Reviewed March 31, 2017 via mobile

We are a group of friends that use The Roundabout Hotel every Wednesday & Friday evening for pre dinner drinks as they have a happy hour from 5pm to 7pm which works out very well for all of us, and on Friday evening they do a special meal deal which we took advantage of.

The meal deal is for two people and it consisted of a plate of nice bread with olive oil and butter followed by a chicken Thai curry with a special rice with a bottle of red or white wine all for £18.95 for two people.

I have to say in this day and age you cannot get better service and value it was lovely and we look forward to seeing what's on next Friday.

Congratulations to all the team and we will see you all on Wednesday and Friday next week B. B.

Date of stay: April 2017
Trip type: Traveled with friends
1  Thank Footprints574118

Good Morning

And thank you for your lovely review & we will see you this friday again I hope

Dee

Reviewed March 28, 2017

We took my elderly mother here for the set tea on Mother's Day. On arrival we stood in the bar area (my mother is 92 and frail) being carefully ignored by the four staff members also in the room. Eventually we were shown to our table which was in an empty dining room by a window where the sill was literally thick with dust and decorated by a very dead plant. No ambiance at all! The waiting staff were friendly enough but obviously badly trained or unsupervised - we were asked twice, by different people, what we would like to drink. Tea came in a huge yellow tea pot more suited to a transport cafe than a smart hotel! The sandwiches and cakes were okay - no more - but the presentation was just uninspired. Properly done afternoon tea can be so pretty - this was not! Had to go and seek out the bill to pay and it was more than expected - on the web site it clearly says £10 per head, we were charged £12.50. I queried this and was tersely told the bill was right. As I couldn't be absolutely sure that I had remembered the cost correctly, I paid because it would have been embarrassing to argue. However, I have since checked and the price on the web site is £10, so either it's out of date or I was over charged! And that makes me quite cross. Luckily, my mother seemed to enjoy her treat but my husband and I did not and it will be a very, very long time before we go back, although I suspect we won't go back at all. With so much competition around and so many other places doing things so much better, this place is shabby and shoddy.

• Trip type: Traveled with family
1  Thank marmaduke33

Good Morning

I would firstly like to point out as I said on sunday that the web site you were looking at was not ours we have and all ways were £12.95 for afternoon tea.

In regards to the crockery I am sorry you did not like our vintage crockery it ushally loved

Deirdrie Lee

Reviewed March 26, 2017

All the staff were very friendly and helpful. We were there as part of a diner in the private function room down stairs and the food was very good, service was brilliant.
We had a really nice room, with views across the car park and a window in the bathroom with a view over the back garden and patio. they are in the process of having an extension built with a pool.I can highly recommend this hotel, it was our third visit, but this was the best, Thank you to everyone concerned.

Room tip: Room 110, very spacious
  • Trip type: Traveled as a couple
1  Thank srpatrick
Reviewed March 26, 2017 via mobile

We attended for a mothers day afternoon tea and we where not disappointed.

We have stayed here before and it was a fantastic stay.

The afternoon was lovely the cakes were fresh the sandwiches where beautiful and as per normal the staff where superb.

A massive thank you to all the staff for a lovely day.

Trip type: Traveled with family