“Warm, Cosy & Very Friendly”
Review of Roundabout Hotel

Roundabout Hotel
Reviewed December 27, 2013

Most of my stays in hotels are never brief. I travel on business, therefore, usually it is more than just a few nights; more often months. I am currently staying at this hotel and am reluctant to relocate to another hotel where I would have access to shops and transport. I'm actually considering a hire car and remain here for the following reasons:-

1. The staff are very friendly and will go beyond the call of duty to assist in any way.
2. Rooms are very spacious, almost a suite in layout giving me an abundance of room for my
computer and business area.
3. Rooms are very clean, linen and bed very comfortable. (I find this point important)
4. Internet Bandwidth is excellent - this is not a compliment I give easily
5. It's quiet
6. Business meetings in the hotel areas are very suitable. They are well presented and of
course wireless internet access.
7. The food is tasty and well presented. The menu has a small selection of dishes which is
better than a restaurant giving you a huge choice but dishes are poor in taste and
presentation. Here they do their very best and the newly appointed chef makes concerted
effort to bring the best to your table. I have all my meals here and am very satisified indeed.

This hotel has been in transition and the new management (who truly are delightful) are
introducing changes which have been received very well. Breakfast is basic,nevertheless,
sufficient.

I have stayed in lovely boutique 5 star hotels in central London where every detail is 5 star, impeccably appointed in every detail, very posh but delightful and of course the price per room is priced accordingly.

This is West Sussex, the price is per room is very reasonable. Warm welcoming ambiance, lovely staff members who are warm and friendly and more than that, they are genuine. If they miss something, simply ask and they will jump to your request without hesitation.

I shall give another update over the next coming weeks, but currently I am very happy here and am very reluctant to move because I am not sure that I shall receive such welcoming service somewhere else. This is where the "grass on the other side of the fence" is not at all tempting.

I do recommend this hotel to anyone due to the fact that you receive such genuine friendly service by staff and management who truly make an effort. An enthusiastic friendly Chef who loves to deliver his best. Menu does change monthly retaining their customer's favourites. Great rooms, ever so spacious and cosy, lovely comfy big bed with great linen, good size LCD TV, Bath and shower. So, yes I am very reluctant to relocate and am looking at hire cars seriously.

Said honestly and sincerely,
Liz Barclay Wilson

PS: The meal I have displayed is a bar meal. You have a choice of restaurant or a bar meal.
Chips are great and I appreciate chips deep fried in clean oil.

Room Tip: I find the bed one of the most important factors in choosing a room. In Asia I ask to inspect the r...
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled on business
simon_green25, General Manager at Roundabout Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded January 6, 2014

Dear Liz,

thank you for the kind and comprehensive review!

Your quite right top point out that the hotel is the ideal location for both business and leisure guests.

We're delighted that you love it at the hotel so much, and thank you for the kind personal words about us.

Hopefully we'll see plenty of you in the future.

Simon Green

Reviewed December 26, 2013

We booked the roundabout for Christmas Day lunch as we are within walking distance of the hotel. We were concerned about the booking as we learnt that yet again, the previous managers had left & they had employed new ones.....All seemed ok when we arrived, shown to our table by the lovely waitress. Our starters were brought out, nicely presented, but lacking in flavour. When the main courses came out, they were a big disappointment, everything was 'piled' on our plates.....some very overcooked & sad looking vegetables, roast potatoes, Yorkshire pudding, stuffing, you name it it was on the plate....it put my husband off eating his. Desert was just as disappointing. As well as all this, there was no atmosphere at all.....we have been to livelier wakes than that! Come on owners of the hotel...you have a little gold mine there....sort it!

2  Thank Denise B
goonerrific, Manager at Roundabout Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded December 27, 2013

Dear Denise,

thank you for your feedback regarding your Christmas lunch at the Roundabout Hotel.

I'm very sorry that you were disappointed with the experience, and please rest assured we will strive to continue to improve our meals as a result of your feedback.

Clearly, it's difficult for us to apologise for the previous management team being replaced, however I do understand why you would naturally be concerned. We'd have loved to of been given the opportunity to discuss this with you had we been aware it was a concern.

Regarding atmosphere, we'd really love to hear some suggestions as to what you would have liked to of experienced, a number of guests commented on how much they enjoyed the meal, and it is naturally disappointing that you did not feel the same.

Please feel free to email us, or pop by to discuss your experience further.

Reviewed December 26, 2013

I got to know the restaurant on a business trip for a Pickford's Travel managers meeting. The hotel appealed to me immediately. I spent there my honeymoon and we loved it. Through the years I have been there on special occasions: long week-end with my mother, dinners with family and friends. We live in Goring now so this year we decided to have our Christmas Dinner there. We were rang just after 1000am on Christmas Day to be advised that they have had a power cut, but everything was going ahead as planned and wanted to know if we were still coming. I did not see any point in advising us about their unfortunate mishap if everything was going ahead as planned. My husband was woken up (we watched midnight mass from Rome) and by the time I got to the phone the answering machine was already on and I had to ring them back. The starter was very good, but I did not like the master chef's competition type presentation and plates. The main course was served on cold plates and was just warm. The Brussels sprouts were not cooked enough, the red cabbage goes with game, not turkey and roast potatoes were a great disappointment. The highlight of the dinner was Christmas Pudding which was served piping hot. The service did not match the price and expectations. The waiter struggled with placing a starter plate on the table, later dropped the fork and the milk was spilt on the table when serving the coffees. Would not consider going back in a near future.

Room Tip: did not stay overnight this time, however from the previous experience a four poster cottage is very...
1  Thank Elizabeth H

Dear Elizabeth,

thank you for your recent review of your visit to the Roundabout Hotel.

We were disappointed to read your review about your Christmas lunch at the hotel.

The purpose of the call to confirm your booking, was intended as a courtesy to ensure that you would be able to attend as a number of our local guests had been impacted by the poor weather. I'm sorry we woke your husband at 10am, at the time we considered this a reasonable time to call to confirm.

I apologise that the presentation of the dishes were not to your liking, I'm uncertain as to what you expected, I would of imagined that plating them "Master chef" style would of been a compliment, however I do understand if this was not to your expectation.

I have fedback your comments regarding the quality of the service to the waiting team, and this will I'm sure prove to be a very helpful training tool to allow us to improve the service in the restaurant moving forward.

I'm sorry that as a result of this experience you would not return, however if you'd like to give us another try, please do not hesitate to get in touch.

Reviewed December 21, 2013

We live just down the road so booked in with friends just for the restaurant, not to stay. As soon as we walked in a staff member welcomed us and pointed us in the direction of the restaurant. A good start. On entering the restaurant we were surprised - 20th December & there was only a few tables taken........did little to create an atmosphere.
Food - quite tasty, but the quanity of fish / meat on all the main meals was just tiny. We asked for more bread to be brought to the table & were asked 'if we were sure'...really! & then proceeded to be told 'I will have to put more in the oven then'...eerrr, yes, please!
The servers were nice enough, but clearly management have them on a tight budget.
This place should be a gold mine given the catchment area - but at this rate will not be in business in a year! They have a lot to get right.

1  Thank Kay G
goonerrific, Manager at Roundabout Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded December 22, 2013

Dear Kay,

thank you for your feedback regarding your recent meal at the Roundabout Hotel.

We have just taken over (3 weeks ago) as the new management team at the hotel, and are naturally disappointed that you did not enjoy your experience.

Please let me reassure you that while we of course work to a budget, if a guest wishes to have a third or fourth bread roll with their meals, we have no issue with that whatsoever. I apologise that you were informed that more would have to be put in the oven, I can only assume after speaking to the waiter that he was trying to inform you that there may be a slight delay in receiving your food.

We have made a significant effort to dramatically improve the quality of the food in the hotel, and I'm please that you noted the quality.

I'm sorry that you feel the portion sizes are inadequate, we have received great feedback about our new menu from guests, and this is the first complaint we've received.

We hope to welcome you back in the future.

Reviewed December 7, 2013

On a business trip for a seminar in Worthing and booked the night before at the Roundabout Hotel - largely based on TripAdvisor reviews.

I received a very warm welcome at reception and was shown to a small but comfortable, warm and clean single room. The bed was very comfortable and the shower room was spotless. I ate in the bar area and the rump steak was probably the best I have eaten in a restaurant. It was tender and cooked to perfection. Service was good and not overbearing.

There is a good choice at breakfast, although the cooked English was a bit disappointing - the tomato was cremated and the egg not quite done.

My only minor quibble was that the shower in the morning was tepid / warm rather than hot. But this is a minor point and I give the hotel five stars and a definite recommendation.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed November 11, 2013 via mobile

I booked this hotel for myself and my work colleague Kelly, we shared a twin room.
The hotel has great curb appeal with pretty fairy lights strung around the oak facade.
Our room was massive! Very beautifully decorated, country style with a modern twist. We had a archway which lead to a dressing room with a sofa, then the bathroom.
Restaurant was small but very expensive when you're away on a work budget, meals staring from £16.
Foreign waitress was the only let down. Quite bad English and didn't really understand a lot!
Good breakfast included in the £84 we paid.

Stayed: November 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed October 15, 2013

Stopped at the Roundabout Hotel on a business trip and happy with the stay. The room was well appointed - only criticism is that it was on the small side. The food was good, both evening before and breakfast. It was a very quiet Sunday evening

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business
#1 of 1 in Pulborough
Norfolk Arms Hotel
Norfolk Arms Hotel
#2 of 7 in Arundel

Been to Roundabout Hotel? Share your experiences!