“Perfection on all counts”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Tillington
The Horse Guards Inn
Ranked #1 of 1 Tillington B&B and Inns
Dorking
“Perfection on all counts”
Reviewed June 3, 2013

We recently booked one night at Horse Guards as we were attending a wedding close by. We wish we could have stayed more, it was sheer bliss from beginning to end. Fortunately we arrived early before the wedding and had time for a very good lunch, all served with great charm, humour and efficiency; the food was excellent as was the wine list. I have been to the pub before but never stayed as an overnight guest. The twin room upstairs was just divine, views over the South Downs with a lovely light and airy bathroom (if I have one small comment against the room it would have to be the flush on the loo which is not very good, enough said on that). The decor is very much to our taste and I cannot imagine anyone not liking it, all comforts considered and nice to be able to have tea in bed with a biscotti before going downstairs for breakfast. The choice was simple and covered most things anyone could wish for. Very nice toast, made from wonderful bread and impossible to resist along with nicely presented butter sprinkled with seasalt (I try not to eat toast but this was not one of those mornings). Our full English was cooked perfectly and just the right amount, not overfacing but also not mean. We had planned to join friends who live in Chichester for lunch the following day but sadly the bookings were already too buoyant to accommodate us at late notice (although we were offered a table outside, even with a sunny day the air was chilly and we opted for somewhere else - this proved to be a disappointing mistake). My husband ordered a suit from a very nice shop in Petworth and we will have to return to collect it, I shall make sure we book lunch in good time so as not to be disappointed again. The message here is to make sure you plan well ahead of time.
I read a bad review from someone who had stayed at Horse Guards and all I can say is they must be very much in the minority.
It is just perfect and we loved it.
Thank you for making us feel welcome and comfortable.

Room Tip: From what we saw we would say the twin room was the best, although we had wanted a double it was alr...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Magglington

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (40)
Guildford, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 29, 2013

Amazingly tasty food (try the fudge for after dinner), friendly staff, great service and lovely decor. I tell all my family and friends to go here and every single person comes back so happy they went!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
London
Reviewed May 28, 2013

As it was good weather on Bank Holiday Monday I decided, on the spur of the moment, to book a table here for lunch.
I was really pleased with the location and very friendly welcome from the staff.
Being a bank holiday it was really busy, but that said, I could not falter the service. There was more than enough friendly staff on hand to ensure that no one was kept waiting.
The food was very good indeed. A simple lunch of Potted Crayfish and Brill washed down with a pint of local ale. (The potted crayfish was outstanding)
Whilst not exactly cheap I found the overall price to be reasonable.
I would be more than happy to make a return trip to possibly eat outside in the garden which I did not get to see on this occasion.

Room Tip: Very limited and tight parking on road outside of the Inn. Perhaps not a good idea to turn up in yo...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank atkpjdv
Midhurst, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 21, 2013

Sunday 19th May 2103 - Set in a beautiful location nestled down a typical country lane. Excellent service and friendly atmosphere. The outside and inside decor had a well thought out country/homely feel, especially, enjoyed the humorous quotes in the garden, nice touch! Food was superb! Would highly recommend. Look forward to returning shortly.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Uxbridge, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 19, 2013

Firstly I feel a bit mean marking it down to 4 stars rather than 5 but for me and just me it was a little more than I usually would pay for lunch.That out of the way i could'nt fault it otherwise the governor was very friendly and the food was superb.The outside and inside appearance was so warming lolvey decor throughout.We paid £86 + for three people for lunch,that was with a couple of drinks each, no bottles of wine just house wine by the glass, the food and the presentation of it were absolutely perfect . I would return without hesitation but the distance is a factor.

Room Tip: You must book well in advance it soooo good so its soooo popular
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
West Sussex
Reviewed May 14, 2013

My husband and I had lunch here- we had been before, but not recently. My husband had Gurnard with a mussel sauce and I had chicken with chorizo,chickpeas and wilted spinach. My husband remarked that his fish was 'over-seasoned' - I tried it- it was so salty- totally overpowering- so much so that he couldn't eat it. The rest of the dish was fine- delicious in fact. When the waitress asked if everything was all right, he told her that he couldn't eat the fish as it was too salty. He did say, however that the rest of the dish was delicious.She said she would 'pass it on'. Rather a disappointing reaction- no offer to rectify the situation other than that. Maybe it was our fault, that we weren't forceful enough, demanding a replacement meal (we don't like complaining!). Also, my spinach was rather sandy- clearly not washed properly. I didn't bother mentioning this either as the rest of my meal was delicious too. The fish however, was much more significant, being the main part of the dish! We then ordered coffees-perhaps the perfect opportunity to offer them 'on the house' as a means of redeeming themselves? No such luck! Often a place can turn a negative around by dealing with an issue in a certain way, thereby encouraging the customer to return. We didn't leave a tip. All that said the staff and particularly the waitress were really friendly and welcoming- we would like to have left her a tip, but unfortunately the salty fish was too much to overlook! Equally the pub has a lovely atmosphere and was busy, especially for a Monday lunchtime. Despite this rather negative review, we would consider returning. I just hope that the owners might reconsider how they deal with certain situations!

Stayed May 2013
1 Thank Macdobadly
Pulborough, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 7, 2013 via mobile

Decided visiting after reading about it on the independents top pubs for food list. The food was lovely and they have a really interesting menu. It is just so lovely and cosy the decor is so warm and welcoming with everything different and unique. I had onglet steak it was nice to go somewhere where they serve a different cut of steak.

The place just had an amazing atmosphere and was lovely to sit outside with a drink afterwards and just relax.

Will definitely visit again!!

Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Tillington
The Spread Eagle Hotel & Spa
The Old Railway Station
The Old Railway Station
#1 of 17 in Petworth
#2 of 17 in Petworth

Been to The Horse Guards Inn? Share your experiences!