The Halfway Bridge
Chequers Hotel(Pulborough)
  • Breakfast included
The Goodwood Hotel(Chichester)
View Hotel
All reviewsconverted barnthe pubwine listboth nightsfresh milk in the fridgehighly recommend a stay herelovely furniturewalking difficultiesshower over the bathwonderful foodsmoked haddockperfect baseperfect weekendsleigh bedfirst classcomfortable roomssouth downs
FilterAll languages
Reviewed October 23, 2013

A lovely gem in the countryside and a great find. Room was warm and comfortable, really helpful staff, nothing too much trouble. The restaurant offered a wide choice to suit all. I had tasty beer battered fish and chips washed down with a quality wine. Mmmmmm!!!! We'll worth a stay for a weekend. We will return to explore the local area.

Room Tip: All looked good but might choose the suite next time
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank MarylizHertfordshire
Reviewed August 26, 2013

i have been here twice this year and on both times for a sunday lunch. lovely, warming, old english country pub which i think was on the original dover to winchester route. the menu is varied and suitably country english in choice of all courses, though with a modern twist. the food has been well cooked and served by attentive waitresses who have been well trained (though I have read other reviewers comments on this point!). the prices are reasonable for a south of england up-market country pub for all food and drinks here. recommended!

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed August 24, 2013

3 friends and I decided to take a trip out to the Halfway Bridge Inn for a meal. We had booked but arrived a little early. On arrival the place was empty, we called out several times and in the end helped ourselves to a table (could have been more). We eventually found someone to serve us drinks. Menu looked good and we placed our order. The place wasn't busy so we were really surprised when the starters came and the waitress had got the order wrong. She came over to check the mains order and just didn't get it!!!! 4 attempts later!!!!!!! We then sat waiting for ages between our starters and main, not good. The food was lovely, the bill was not!!!!! An astonishing £160 for 4 x 2 course meals with soft drinks for 3 and just one large glass of wine!!!! Definitely not value for money - small portion of peas cost £3.50!!!!!! Won't be going again and won't be recommending.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed August 14, 2013

We recently met up with some friends at this lovely Inn. We had booked an overnight stay as well as dinner but as we arrived in the car park our hearts sunk. The Inn was situated on a fairly busy main road.

However much to our delight the gorgeous bedrooms are situated across the road from the main building and we were able to enjoy a great night's sleep in a lovely room with an extremely comfy bed. Only problem - we enjoyed ourselves so much over the delicious dinner by the time we left for bed (very late) all the lights had gone out which proved interesting trying to feel our way to find our room!!!

The dinner as I said was truly delicious and the service team a delight.

All this topped off with a really first class "proper" full English breakfast cooked fresh to order. We will definitely return.

Room Tip: We had a room in the converted barns - set back from the road and very quiet.
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed August 10, 2013

I stayed here one night pre Glorious Goodwood, as my normal accommodation was not available. How pleased I was that I chose this small and welcoming country inn. The room (I had a deluxe room) was gorgeous, very spacious with a small lounge area, and had what I can describe as one of the most confortable beds that I have ever slept in.

What made my stay outstanding was the food - unbelievably good and reasonably priced. I had the 2 course set menu for 19.50 which included a delicious prawn and crayfish cocktail followed by a rib-eye steak with hand cut chips.

Breakfast the next morning was up to the same high standard, and you could tell only the finest ingredients were used. It was also piping hot, which is not always something you find!

The staff were extremely welcoming and friendly, and made my stay very enjoyable.

I highly recommend this hotel to anyone!

Room Tip: The deluxe rooms offer a nice extra seating area.
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled solo