“Lovely atmosphere”
Review of Badgers B&B

Badgers B&B
Ranked #6 of 17 Petworth B&B and Inns
Reviewed May 5, 2013

Really nice place and lovely atmosphere. Rooms very large and spacious, well appointed and with excellent tea/coffee facilities. The bed was comfortable but quite soft, so if like me you actually prefer a firm mattress it might not be for you. The only niggle was the, admittedly very large en-suite bathroom, but which did not really have an adequate shower. However in all fairness it is an old rustic building with lovely charm, great staff, service and an excellent breakfast. I stayed here for a wedding, and had looked around at various other local hotels etc, this place represented good value for money. I would recommend it, but if you are fussy about a shower, probably best to enquire early....

Room Tip: Double check the shower, our room didn't really have a viable alternative in the way of a bath t...
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple

Reviewed April 15, 2013

Stayed here a few months ago but my boyfriend and I still reminisce about the wonderful breakfasts we had. They were extremely generous and everything was of a very high standard. It was by far and away the best breakfast that we've had in recent stays in a variety of establishments. Apart from that, the room was very comfortable and the general decor attractive. The service was excellent and the owner charming and helpful. It is a lively, perhaps slightly unconventional place but all the better for it.. The negative reviews which have been submitted seem utterly unfair and rather bizarre.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 10, 2013

Quirky, friendly pub on main A285 to Chichester, minutes from Goodwood. Arrived late on a Saturday evening, were welcomed warmly and shown to a delightful room. Wide choice of dishes for Dinner, served in the main pub bar area, surrounded by artwork and interesting artefacts. We slept well in comfortable, generous sized bed and were then treated to an honest well cooked and good quality full English breakfast, cooked and served by the owner. Thoroughly recommended as a base for activities in West Sussex, looking forward to going back ourselves.

Room Tip: Enjoy the personality of this friendly place
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 27, 2013

On arrival I was concerned as it is first of all a pub, and in the sort of location where monopolised by the locals. On entering I was proved completely wrong, the bar was busy but the staff quickly attended to me and showed me to my room. The room was as you would expect in an older property but clean warm and comfortable. Back down it the bar the food and service where excellent, I found a quiet corner and was able to eat in peace, by the time I had elated the pub was empty, but I did not feel rushed by the staff to finish and leave.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed December 19, 2012

We booked the Badgers for a single Monday night stay between day trips in Arundel and Petworth. Badgers is a country pub with accomadation and a restaurant.
We arrived early evening and found that we had plenty of room to park at the front of the pub, though there is a car park at the side that we missed because it was very dark. We checked in and were shown to our room, The Rother, at the front of the building above the bar, overlooking the road and fields. Our room was pleasantly decorated, with a kingsize bed, fitted wardrobe (with padded hangers, mini-safe, hairdryer, iron + board and what appeared to be a rifle safe. Game shooting I suppose), dressing table, TV, fridge (containing fresh milk, orange juice etc), tea+coffee, kettle, mugs+glasses, biscuits, bed side cupboards, radio, chair and stool. The large bathroom had a lovely big bath with hand-held shower head, 3 mirrors, toilet, large sink, very efficient towel radiator and plenty of walking/drying space between everything. This was all nicely decorated and spotlessly clean. The bathroom floor sloped from all corners, converging down to the door, which we found amusing and obviously a character of the historic building. The tapered skirting boards and curved planking appeared to be an engineering necessity to keep the bathroom suite level, quite funny. We both enjoyed the plentiful hot water to have a soak in the luxurious bath, which was so welcome after a tiring day. The complimentary toiletries were handy also.
We ordered some tapas dishes in the pub/restaurant for our supper where we sat at a comfortable table near the open fire which made us grateful to be in the cosy warmth on a cold December evening. Good customer service from the staff who were prompt and polite. The white bait was melt-in-the-mouth delicious, salt'n'pepper squid, tasty, potatoskins were very thin strips of jacket style skin, unusual but quite pleasant with cheese and spring onion and the mediteranean breads with butter, olives and houmous were scrumptious. All in all perfect comfort food for two winter travellers with the munchies. The price was reasonable too. All washed down with local ale.
I slept well, finding the bed firm but comfortable, with nice bed linen. The heating in the room could be controlled yourself at the rad thermostat. I wasn't disturbed by the noise of customers in the bar downstairs, though they could be heard.
In the morning the traffic noise through the single glazed sash windows at the front of Badgers was fairly constant on a Tuesday morning, so guests who wanted to really sleep-in may find it a challenge.
Plenty of hot water again for a morning bath.
We ordered breakfast for 9 and were seated immediately by a very friendly female staff member. We were offered the standard choices of tea/coffee/cereals/juices/full english breakfast or cooked variations and plumped for cereals followed by poached eggs on toast. The food and drink was all hot and plentiful and well cooked. Service provided with polite smile and conversation. Even Merlin the dog was polite and never begged for scraps.
Very good service in comfortable surroundings with good food and drink at reasonable prices.
We shall call again, thanks Badgers!

Room Tip: The Rother room at the front has a large, well lit bathroom with a welcoming bath that can be happil...
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 5, 2012

My boyfriend and I stayed here for one night for a friends wedding nearby and we had a lovely stay. Before we'd even arrived they had kindly arranged a taxi to pick us up and take us to the venue. Upon stumbling home, we were invited to stay up for a nightcap with the proprietors (whose names I'm afraid escape me).

The room was spacious, clean and the bed was very comfy! If I had one criticism, it was that the shower in the en suite was very disappointing. There was the option of a bath, but I am a shower person and unfortunately it was more of a dribble than a shower.

Breakfast was lovely- I just wish I had been feeling less delicate so I could enjoy it more! I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: June 2012
Reviewed July 19, 2012

My father and I have just returned from a one night stay at Badgers and it was excellent from start to finish. The landlady and her staff could not be more welcoming. The rooms were big and airy, well equipped and very clean. The breakfast was superb and defintely set us up for the day. It was freshly cooked at a time to suit us. We did not eat on the restaurant but hope to find an excuse to return and do just that. Highly recommended and very good value for money.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family