“Very Nice Food Indeed”

The Stonemasons Inn
Ranked #5 of 17 Petworth B&B and Inns
Reviewed April 26, 2014

I ate at the Stonemasons Arms on the night of April 26th 2014. I was a bit sceptical at first when I was told we would be eating there after reading some of the reviews on here. We arrived and were show straight to our table and ordered some drinks, while we waited for the drinks to arrive I studied the menu.
This consists of some good old fashioned pub grub favourites, along with some other more interesting sounding options. I opted for the deep friend camembert followed by an 8oz burger with cheese and bacon for main. To put it bluntly the quality of the food here is very good indeed. The burger came with onion rings as well and was very nicely presented, I could taste the quality of the ground beef and seasoning.. Not sure how they cooked the chips but they tasted superb. I was in a party of 11 and everyone else said how good the food was. I didn't see what everyone had but some of us had the Sussex Lamb and said it was good, and also hand carved gammon. Service was quick and attentive.
There were a number of choices of Ale to be had, which were served properly at room temperature. There weren't many people eating or drinking on for a Saturday night which surprised me. Some people might look at the menu and think the food is expensive for a burger and chips, but this is very high quality pub grub indeed. We will certainly be back

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled with friends
1  Thank MParker873

Reviewed April 9, 2014

Welcome was ok. Unfortunately the "Special Board " warm chicken and bacon salads we ordered was awful. I could have a made a much better salad myself with more ingredients!!! The lettuce was brown at the edges and looked like a cheap salad bag you buy, half a cherry tomato ( we actually had 2 whole cherry tomatoes between three of us), grated carrots (that was a teaspoon worth) the Chicken was hard and bacon lacked crispiness!!! After complaining the bar lady did try and bring out more grated carrot, cherry tomato and red onion. Too little to late!! The bar staff was none two impressed when i said we would pay only for our drinks and not the food. She even suggested that i pay for one to cover the cost of the bacon and chicken!! Very much spooled a lovely girls lunch out. We certainly would never return here. Such a shame when we all live locally. Customer service skills need addressing too!!

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled with friends
Reviewed January 27, 2014

A previous reviewer may have hit an off day when normal staff unavailable. We were lucky and had excellent food and service. Prices and choice reasonable, food quality very good.
As mentioned they are very dog friendly and also boast a lovely log fire in a massive hearth.
Building itself is interesting being several adjoining cottages opened out.
Three real ales and OK wine list.
Did not see garden.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled with friends
Reviewed October 31, 2013

Warm welcome, and very dog friendly.
Unfortunately the rib-eye steak served was rancid !! After they verified this was indeed the case, an apology was offered, but not a replacement. I could choose another meal from the menu, which I did, sausage and mash with gravy. I soon realized why my wife did not appear to be enjoying her meal of pie and mash either. The mashed potato had the very distinguishable taste and smell of having been stored too long in the refrigerator, and to us was inedible!!
Both incidents hardly indicate that a skilled chef was cooking here.
No payment was taken for the steak or sausage meal, but it spoiled our afternoon anyway.
We shall not return here, nor recommend it.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Tayacmike
Reviewed October 29, 2013

There were three older ladies traveling by car with plans to just stop at a nice place when darkness fell and there were no rooms available! As we continued to stop and ask, it became later and later. Finally, we happened onto The Stonemason Inn at 10:30 PM. The proprietress took pity on us and put us in a family room she had already made up for guests arriving the next morning. It was lovely. There was a huge bed in the bedroom with beautiful linens. The other room had a twin bed in it. The shower was delightful with thick and large towels. The bar was warm and friendly with a beautiful fireplace.building itself would be worth a trip to see. It has been beautifully renovated while keeping all the original charm. The building itself was gorgeous with all the charm possible of a 17th century inn, from the thatched roof to the doorways one had to duck under. The The menu looked great although we did not eat but the wine was delicious. The next morning we had the full English breakfast in the beautiful garden. What a treat. The eggs and bacon were cooked perfectly. The jam tasted homemade. The owner even provided me with my morning diet coke! If you have an opportunity to visit this beautiful Inn I am sure you will not be disappointed.

Room Tip: The family room was great if there are more than two or even if you want the extra space.
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank divingbebe1492
Reviewed August 19, 2013

We were on the way to visit some friends in Felpham and our brand new sat nav had taken us through Petworth . We decided to take a pit stop , had passed some other pubs , decided on the Stonemasons Inn parked up and entered. On entering we were greeted very warmly, we asked for the menu and decided on gammon , egg and chips . We were informed we could dine in the garden if we wished and that our food and drinks would be brought out to us when ready. When the food arrived a short while later it was of good quality, a generous helping of ham , freshly cooked chips ( although not home cooked ) and a free range egg. The food was very much enjoyed along with the pleasant surroundings of the pub garden and they did come out and check if everything was ok while we were dining. The resident pub dog ( a well bred boxer who's name escapes me right now) lazed around and only came up to check us out and didn't beg for any food, I did have a tiny bit of ham left which I gave to him but he didn't loiter for any more . Just before we left , had brief chat with the two lovely ladies on duty , informed me that the dog had been on diet and was trained not to beg at tables even when encouraged by diners. It wasn't busy as there was only ourselves and another couple , it was about 2pm . I was told by the staff that it does get busier in the evenings and I have no doubt that the level of service that we experienced wouldn't be any different had there been more customers about . We will be calling in again while down that way now we have discovered this place. Thank you ladies !

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Lutonlord
Reviewed August 11, 2013

We were keen to see how the revamp had improved things. Called in on a Saturday evening at 7pm ,a polite barmaid advised us that it had been a busy day and that the main menu or the fresh fish were not available, only the items on the blackboard of which only 5 were still obtainable. Undeterred we ordered along with a bottle of wine and sat down in the restaurant.
After 20miniutes the wine had not arrived, upon inquiring we were told they had forgotten, looking around we sensed people becoming agitated by the long wait for food. We eventually received our meal after over an hours wait.
Needless to say we would not be returning.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
6  Thank streety4
Also consider these accommodations in or near Petworth
Chequers Hotel
2 mi away
Badgers B&B
Badgers B&B
#6 of 17 in Petworth

Been to The Stonemasons Inn? Share your experiences!