We spent a couple of nights at The Old Railway Station in June and everything was perfect even to the glorious weather. This place is so lovingly restored that you feel as if you have stepped into a golden era of comfort where life seems to be taken at a much slower pace. The carriages are set out to a very high quality spec and finsih, with everything you need for an enjoyable stay. There is a flat screen TV, plenty of choice of complimentary teas, coffee etc, very comfy bed and it brings in the modern with the age of luxury you would get in days gone by.
The owner and the staff are most helpful and there is a great deal of history and literature available in the Old Waiting Room where guests are able to relax and take tea in the afternoon or drinks in the evening the hotel is licensed. On arrival you are asked what time you would like breakfast and are allocated a time as the breakfast is cooked from fresh and is of a very high standard - there are no corners cut here - fresh eggs, bacon, bread, sausages all of the best quality. We were lucky enough with the weather to take our breakfast on the platform which is a wonderful experience, but if the weather is poor the Waiting Room is charming.
The location is out of Petworth so you will need transport to get around but there is a pub at the top of the road called The Badgers which does very good evening meals. If you are going out in the evening to eat I would recommend The Cricketers at Duncton whichis a couple of miles away a five min drive but on a summers evening probably walkable - the food here is first class all homemade and very reasonably priced.
You don't have to be a railway enthusiast to enjoy this place just come for the experience we can definitely recommend it.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Widely acclaimed as Britain's most beautiful railway station, Petworth's former train station is now one of the country's most unusual destination hotels. Step back in time and enjoy a romantic and unique break in one of our restored Pullman railway carriages or stay in the old Station House. In summer, enjoy our fine breakfast on the platform, overlooking our exotic garden or, in winter, by a roaring fire in our former Waiting Room, with its 20ft vaulted ceiling.The Old Railway Station has something for every discerning traveller, looking for something different. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Priceline, Booking.com and TripOnline SA so you can book your The Old Railway Station reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Old Railway Station Hotel Petworth
- Old Railway Station
- The Old Railway Station Petworth, West Sussex