The Old Railway Station
The Swan Inn(Fittleworth)(Great Value!)
$93
$53
Travelodge
$72
$70
Travelodge Arundel Fontwell(Arundel)(Great Value!)
$46
Travelodge
All reviewswaiting roompullman carriageafternoon teaon arrivalbadgers pubcream teaunique experienceticket officeporridgestep back in timesconesbreakfast is servedattention to detailspecial occasionb brestored pullmanlog fire
FilterAll languages
Reviewed February 25, 2011

We very much enjoyed our stay. It was much better than what we were expected. Very comfy and clean. Very nice people who looked after us and best breakfast. My partner took me for two night as Christmas present. I can say that was the pest present I ever had.Thanks to the owner and all the staff of The old Railway Station. We never go back to stay in places we already been, but we had such a good time which we have decided to go back again in the near future.

• Stayed: February 2011
3  Thank Reen1
Reviewed February 22, 2011

Always a bit weird writing these reviews as I realise that sometimes it just depends on when you book as much as where you book. The Old Railway Station Hotel is lovely and things like breakfast, ascetics, cleanliness, amenities and service were second to none. But I do have a few pointers. When you book this place you know that you’re staying in a carriage, so expect a slightly musty smell when you check in, this soon goes after the heating has been on for a while. In fairness we arrived early so we wouldn’t have known about this had we arrived on time. There is very limited space, so bear this in mind if you need to get up in the night. There are two hotel rooms in each carriage and sadly the layout is such that the beds in each room abut each other with only a thin dividing wall between them. This means you can hear every word your next-door neighbour says and I spent most of the weekend trying to sleep over our neighbour’s snoring. Not the hotel’s fault but maybe the layout and the sound proofing is, as was the rather lumpy bed. I got some ear plugs on the Saturday so the second night wasn’t too bad, but by then the novelty had rather worn off. Ironically, the owner asked us where we were from and when we replied Hampton Court he looked aghast and said he couldn’t live in London. Well, I arrived back from my relaxing weekend away feeling totally shattered and for this reason – I wouldn’t stay here again. Yes it is nice and looks beautiful but when I go away for a relaxing weekend – I don’t want my enjoyment to be determined by the layout of rooms, the thickness of walls and the sleeping habits of the inhabitants next door, not at that price anyhow.

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled as a couple
9  Thank LondonLozzza
Reviewed February 16, 2011

Another lovely stay at the Old Railway Station. Our special two days just before Christmas for a 60th birthday were curtailed by burst pipes so we booked to come back for our wedding anniversary, which happily coincides with Valentine's. Heart shaped chocs in the carriage and heart shaped butter for our toast, not to mention complimentary champagne with the always delightful breakfast. For people of a 'certain age', the personal customer service and the peace and tranquillity of a more genteel time are beguiling. Thank you to Gudmund and the team.

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank sallym20
Reviewed February 8, 2011

We decided to stay at the hotel on our way to Gatwick airport. We drove up after work and as we hadn't arrived by 7pm the hotel called just to make sure we weren't struggling to find them. The hotel staff were extremely friendly during our visit and went out of their way to make sure we had a great stay. The carriage we stayed in was very spacious and beautifully decorated. Breakfast the next day was delicious and as we were only able to stay for one night we are now looking for an excuse for a return trip.

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Tourist186299
Reviewed December 28, 2010

We were looking for a night away after Christmas and were thrilled that we chose this wonderfully memorable place. As we entered the Old Railway station house we were greeted warmly by the hotel staff and the owner. We were taken to our railway carriage - wow! What a treat, The Pullman carriage has been beautifully restored. A pleasing area for making tea/coffee, a nicely decorated bathroom and along the corridor to the main bedroom/sitting area. We were in Flora 1 - not a huge space, but very comfortable. I am aware that other carriages offer more space and larger bathrooms, but this carriage did not disappoint. Behind the lovely wooden shutters, one will find the original train windows with their little sliding "openings" - great. The trains rest where the track used to be - now beautiful gardens providing a lovely setting.

The main station house is open for coffee/tea and breakfast. We were offered a very nice pot of coffee and cake on arrival - sitting by the roaring fire in the very elegantly restored station house. This is a very beautiful building and incredibly comfortable too with lovely old leather sofas and easy chairs.

Breakfast was delightful. Fresh fruit plate, cereals/porridge and full English Breakfast with pastries and toast and preserves - all very good quality and beautifully cooked and served. Vegetarian options were provided too. Excellent coffee and tea in elegant silver pots. The service was really great - friendly and attentive - with a smile and real warmth. A true host, looking after her guests with great success that will remain with us.

When we checked out, both owners gave us a very warm farewell. They were so very kind to us. We would love to return. I know in the Summer they serve breakfast on the station platform - that would be so lovely.

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled as a couple