“Nice dinner”

The Angel Inn
Ranked #5 of 23 Restaurants in Petworth
Cuisines: Mediterranean, British
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Late Night, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Description: The inn has medieval origins and is a few paces from the centre of Petworth. With a relaxed atmosphere throughout, its unspoilt bar features ships beams, wooden and slate floors, stone walls and 3 fireplaces, one of which is used to spit-roast joints of meat. On fine days the walled garden is a peaceful suntrap. With a choice of local real ales served by hand pump or directly from the barrel and an extensive wine list we cater to all tastes. We are serious about our food and ingredients are locally sourced where possible; much of our fish is landed at Littlehampton, the Sussex Downs provide our lamb, along with most of the vegetables that we serve. The seasonal menu is changed four times a year, supplemented by a fortnightly menu with daily chef’s specials to provide a comprehensive choice for the most discerning diner. A warm welcome awaits you.The inn is recognised by The Good Beer Guide, The Good Pub Guide, Cask Marque and Great Country Pubs.
Reviewed June 27, 2014

We had dinner here one evening in their lovely garden. Service was excellent but food although nice was not fantastic. I had pork kebab marinated in a rum and brown sugar marinade. I guess I assumed the marinade would be thick, sticky, caramelised rum flavour but it was really watery. It looked like and tasted like someone had put a little watery rum over my rice and the kebabs had very little flavour. Rather disappointing. The rest of the food was good but just not amazing. I would eat here again and would certainly say give this place a visit.

Reviewed June 18, 2014

This pub has a nice location, lovely outside seating, nice interior, well kept beers and friendly staff. The menu looked varied and interesting and my frind's haddock and chips with peas was good. My stack of courgettes, aubergines, beef tomato with mozzarella was so so as courgettes were undercooked and the whole dish lacked seasoning. A side green salad was green in colour and oddly contained a lot of green peper, raw courgettes, pieces of apple and grapes, some rockette and no lettuce.

Our mains order took 30 minutes to arrive although the pub appeared not to be busy.

Maybe it was an 'off day' at Angel Inn so we will give it another try.

YarrumSussex, Owner at The Angel Inn, responded to this reviewResponded June 25, 2014

I am sorry Ania1946’s experience at The Angel was a disappointment and I am grateful to her for giving us the benefit of the doubt, it may have been an “off day”, we are only human, but we would like to believe that we do not have “off days”. All our food is cooked to order and if a number of orders are placed at the same time this does slow up the time between the order and service.

Clearly there was a problem with Ania1946’s dish for which I apologise. I can’t understand what went wrong with the green salad. Before service the salad is prepared and the ingredients mixed together and obviously her salad was not balanced.

We look forward to welcoming Ania1946 back to The Angel and are confident that her return visit will not disappoint.

Reviewed June 10, 2014

Stopped here for lunch on a drive around Sussex. I had pork belly with a maple syrup glaze (from the specials board) and my husband had a very generous lamb shank in gravy. All very delicious. Staff were friendly, attentive, without being obtrusive. Would highly recommend.

(The pub is on a narrow and busy road leading out of the town, but there is a small car park over the road for customers.)

Reviewed May 28, 2014

A Sunday evening meal meeting family. Service prompt, efficient and friendly/attentive. Food,a large range of choice. Decisions decisions decisions! Once choice made not of our party was disappointed. Choice of seating areas and after drinks outside on the patio it was inside for the food.
A great relaxing evening in casual comfortable surroundings.

Reviewed May 13, 2014 via mobile

Would strongly recommend visiting this quaint pub if in the area. We were very impressed with our food and service- my family have been a few times now and have not been disappointed. It has a lovely garden out the back, which is great when the sun is shining!

1  Thank Traveller10205