“Gastronomic treasure in a picturebook village”
Review of The Hollist Arms

The Hollist Arms
Ranked #14 of 25 Restaurants in Petworth
Cuisines: Mediterranean, British
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Description: The hollist arms is a beautiful old pub set in the heart of the village of Lodsworth. It is full of elegant charm and character with an eclectic mix of antique furniture and artefacts which enhance it's uniqueness. The Hollist has built a reputation for superb home cooked gastronomical delights by Serge and Sally, the chefs and owners, who have created a menu that excites and comforts. Serge's Mediterranean background, combined with his classic French training and years of gastronomical experience in France and England show in the quality of the food served. His philosophy is simple however. He prides himself on producing unpretentious food, generously portioned,sensibly priced and full of flavours. The Hollist has been nominated as one of the 25 best pubs in Sussex, with a special mention for outstanding roasts on Sundays (Sussex Life July 2013).The hollist also boasts an enviable wine list with wines sourced exclusively from small, independent vineyards; plus three fantastic, well kept real ales, one of which is a regularly changing guest ale. We look forward to meeting you.
Guildford, United Kingdom
“Gastronomic treasure in a picturebook village”
Reviewed April 20, 2012

We had a truly memorable meal in this magical pub which is an extraordinary combination of village pub/dining rooms and restaurant. The staff were warm, hospitable and interested - and very solicitious - and the ambience was rich and homely, much like a small private restaurant in France.
The food was really like something out of a gastronomic text book - every mouthfull could be savoured - and a week later I can still remember the flavours.
I think this is an exceptional venue. I was especially impressed by a) the size of the portions - all too often good cuisine seems to come in miniscule portions - not here! b) the very reasonable price tag - I was genuinely surprised at how low the bill was - most important as I was paying for two guests as well.
All in all, highly recommended for a wonderful treat. Well done all who work there!

• Visited April 2012
3 Thank Richard R

London
“Refreshing modern take on a traditional country pub”
Reviewed March 30, 2012

We'd heard a couple of good comments for the food but it's taken a long time to return to this potentially fabulous village pub which has always had a great atmosphere despite! The takeover initially didn't work after loud boasts, and it was apparently painted bright blue which completely put my husband off entering. However, they have now got it right. Great staff - immediate eye contact in the busy bar during happy hour, and friendly 'bubbly' service throughout; fabulous menu - limited but perfect 'bistro' selection tempted us to stay and we weren't disappointed other than that more people weren't sampling Friday night delight. Diffiicult choice between cassoulet and calves liver but boullabaise recommended didn't disappoint. Absolutely spot on, and don't miss out on the delicious bread. Decor now a refined Georgian blue, with tasteful chandeliers and quirky extras though I do wish the fire had been lit! Will definitely go again; we all need to support the local country pubs more during these difficult times!

• Visited March 2012
1 Thank Kerensarob
London, United Kingdom
“Love Lodsworth & The Hollist”
Reviewed March 20, 2012

What a beautiful place Lodsworth is but not sure i want too many people to know about it. Also great pint of Timothy Taylors!

Visited March 2012
1 Thank davidnhornby
Chichester, England, United Kingdom
“We were made so welcome by the wonderful staff and OMG! the food is to die for!”
Reviewed February 25, 2012

I love eating out with friends and I have to say the Holliest Arms ticked all my boxes and more.
On arrival we found the most gorgeous’ chocolate box’ village pub and restaurant that had an interior to match, with tasteful finishing touches that made it just a bit classier.
We were welcomed by the stunning young barman and barmaid who made us feel instantly relaxed , Most places we have eaten at. and we have been to some lovely places, the staff are as helpful as they need to be but no more. Here the service was with genuine smiles and hospitality that made us feel that our hosts sincerely cared and wanted us to experience a wonderful night and we did.
The chef we found out is responsible for the five star menu that was just amazing! I love food and I didn’t expect such a mouth-watering choice with a sophisticated French twist. I wanted to try it all so we will have to go back for sure.
This was a pre birthday treat for me so I chose one of my favourite dishes, the charcoal grilled rib eye steak topped pepper sauce ;well done’ sorry but I don’t like my meat to still be mooing.
It came with French green beans that had a seasoned, garlic and olive oil covering that was delightful, grilled tomatoes topped with parmesan cheese and hand cut chips with not a trace of grease on them, just wonderful!
The steak, I half expected it to be undercooked or cremated but OMG! It was cooked perfectly, not a trace of pink and it was so succulent that it almost melted in my mouth and the pepper sauce was the best I have ever tasted and believe me I have tasted a lot.
One of my friends has a very plain pallet and there was no fuss made over the fact that she wanted her steak plain. it just came exactly as she had ordered it.
Again the desert menu spoilt us for choice but it had to be done. I tried one of the homemade ice creams, nougat, and again, OMG it was orgasmic!
I have to say I don’t normally write reviews but it was such an exceptional night in such a wonderful place it would be selfish of me not to share.
So a genuinely huge thank you from myself and my friends to ours hosts for making us feel so welcome and for that gastronomical delight that really was beyond all our expectations.

• Visited February 2012
2 Thank RaeFae
London, United Kingdom
“Delightful food, friendly staff and great atmosphere”
Reviewed February 25, 2012

We celebrated a friends birthday at the Hollist Arms last night and had a lovely evening. The food was excellent. I had the steak and it was cooked to perfection. The side dishes were tasteful I really enjoyed it. The ice-cream stole to show for me. Almond nougat heaven!!!!!! I am planning to go back at Easter (its a bit of a trek for me to get to).

I really loved the decor, the fire and and the folks in wellies (boy do I sound like a city girl). Well worth a return visit.

• Visited February 2012